Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
New Mexico trip coming

Planning to do the trip to the balloon festival in NM next year from NC. Would love to hear from anyone who has made the journey recently. Good/bad, routes, areas to camp, other pertinent issues.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Planning to do the trip to the balloon festival in NM next year from NC. Would love to hear from anyone who has made the journey recently. Good/bad, routes, areas to camp, other pertinent issues.
Make your RV site reservations, for next year, now....and plan on paying premium prices. The KOA in Bernalillo, we prefer, when staying in Albuq. There is another, city owned, campground in Bernalillo on 550..it is very small..possibly, 20 sights...the campground at the Balloon Fiesta sight is another option...then, there are others in Albuq..on the east side of town and west side.

Regarding routes...you have several options...depending on what you want to see and do on your trip west.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We've stayed at the Bernalillio KOA, free pancakes every morning, & they suggested we go to a shopping mall & catch a shuttle to the balloon grounds & for the minimal cost it was well worth it not to have to hassle with ALL the traffic, it'll drive you to the main gate. If going again would do it exactly the same way, it's an awesome experience. Make reservations now though!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I will be there this Oct. I was able to reserve a site on June 3,2017. Full hook ups for $35/ night.
I will post more when I get back!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Just passed through ABQ to & from Grand Canyon but route slightly different. Guessing you'll take I-40. I can report from Memphis Westward....

We stayed at the Little Rock Camping World. They have power on the East side of the building...

Stayed at Roadrunner RV park in OK City

Plenty of room at the Riverwalk parking lot adjacent to Bass Pro Shops in OK City to walk around there, dinner, etc...

The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo was....um, well the kids enjoyed it. It was touristy and tacky but fun.

The "Amarillo Travel Information Center" allows overnight parking and was clean and seemed nice, although we didn't stay there...I-40 at Airport Road

There is an RV Museum in Amarillo. It's at an RV dealership there in town. Had to park on the side of the busy access road with NO shoulder, but I wasn't the only one and they said folks do it all the time. Surprisingly good collection of old rv's. Free and worth an hour or so.

Stayed at the WalMart in Canyon TX, just South of Amarillo.

Palo Duro Canyon is definitely worth a stop. If we knew about it we definitely would have reserved a spot and planned for more than just an overnight. really nice park, and DW would go back just for it.

New Mexico welcome center was nice enough as rest stops go

Sandia Crest Tram in ABQ was expensive but good. If you go there, be aware that Tramway BLVD, which is a major thoroughfare along the East side of ABQ has no truck signs AFTER you get on it....so you have no choice but to continue to the next light to turn off an find a long way around.

We stayed at the Cracker Barrel in ABQ 1 night.

Nuclear Science museum in ABQ was fairly good. Nice collection of stuff.

Stayed at American RV Resort just West of ABQ

and we stayed 1 night at Sams Club up in Santa Fe

I don't know where exactly the balloon festival is, but looks like it's October. Should be a great time of the year there!