Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Heading thru Denver to Durango route

In a week or two will be traveling through Denver to Durango from the east. Big windsport. Looking for best scenic , safe route. Also anyone know of beautiful rv resorts. Thanks

Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #10815
The easy route is stay on I-25 down to 160 and west from there. The scenic route is down state 285. I would take that one.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:38 AM   #3

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
If you are planning to go west on I70 and then south to Durango, I would avoid 550 from Ouray to Durango.... it’s a white knuckle trip in auto. Alternative is Ouray to Teluride and down Dolores river coming in from the west side of Durango. We like Alpen Rose north of Durango on 550. There is another park further north on 550 located on the Animas river. Back in sites on the river are good but tight, other sites not so good.

Have fun.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

THOR #6832
Durango roads

[QUOTE=tilfo;137834]The easy route is stay on I-25 down to 160 and west from there. The scenic route is down state 285. I would take that one.[/QUOTE

I assume 285 is Rv safe . And thanks for the tip
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

THOR #6832
I assume 285 is Rv safe also thanks for tip
37 ft mh
Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #6

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
Have only traveled 285 from Saguache to Durango....no problems. Don’t know about Denver to Saguache. US highways are normally ok.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10815
You will cross some big mountains out of Denver of course on 285. I think you are ok after that. You will see the next really big mountains as you get to Buena Vista, but you are going around them, not over them.

Buena Vista is one of my favorite mountain towns. You will find a couple of excellent RV parks just north of town on hwy 24. I recommend Arrowhead myself, check for reservations early though.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Between Denver and Durango you will not avoid mountain driving. Its a matter of picking your poison. Most scenic route is 285 from east of Denver thru Conifer, FairPlay and the Salida. Warning - there is a lot of construction on C-470 between the I-25 and Wadsworth with very narrow lanes. I would not recommend taking an RV - We did it once and was no fun and pretty scary. We won't do it again until they are done. Alternative is to take either Hiway 6 or I-70 to the C-470 and then go south to the US-285 exit (you can stop at Red Rocks if you like and run some bleachers, or just admire the view)

You do have quite a climb out from the C-470 to Conifer, but its not a problem for RV's. You will just end up going slow. From Conifer to Salida isn't an issue. At Salida you head west on US to Poncha Springs and then have a choice of continuing west on US 50 or south on US285.

The US 50 route takes you over Monarch Pass to Gunnison and then onto Montrose. Monarch is a fairly steep pass and its mountain driving, but again not a tough road for an RV. On the way you can stop at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (we are going there next week). At Montrose you head south on 550 to Ouray and the Million Dollar Hiway. Its got some steeps and switchbacks going out of Ouray, but if you survived Monarch, you can survive the Million Dollar Hiway. You can stop in Silverton on the way to Durango.

If you take 285 south out of Poncha Springs you then turn west on 112 or 160 - You can stop by Great Sand Dunes National Park. West on 160 takes you to Wolf Creek Pass - about the same as Monarch Pass and then down into Durango. Once you are through Wolf Creek Pass, there isn't much mountain driving into Durango.

Alternative to taking 285 is is to go south on I-25 to Colorado Springs and take 115 south to US-50 or follow I-25 to Pueblo and catch US-50 there. Or go further south on the I-25 to Walsenburg and catch the 160. Taking US-50 from Colorado Springs or Pueblo will take you past the Royal Gorge. Taking 160 puts you into Alamosa. Not a lot of scenery on either segment.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
Just drove hwy 285 from Denver to Sante Fe NM. Great road for a motorhome. Speeds were 55-65mph posted.