Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
Hot water tank question.

I have a 2016 Thor Axis 25.2

Where is the hot water tank filled from? When connected to City water does the hot water tank still pull from the fresh water tank? Even when I'm connected to City water I seem to see a drop in the fresh water tank water level over a few days time. Hopefully it's not a leak. No water under the couch as that's where the fresh water tank is. No sitting water under the rv even after 5 days sitting.
Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Only time any water should be drawn from the on board fresh water tank is when the water pump is on.
If on city water and water pump off - should not be any draw.
I have used the water pump/fresh water tank to boost pressure for some poor campground supplies.
I've seen many reports of fresh water tanks filling when on city water (bad check valve or debris in it) - but haven't seen the 'draining' problem.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:37 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
If you have your water pump turned on, and low water pressure, the system will draw water from both sources
Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A few observations: "Hot water tank"? You can't actually "see" the level in the water heater. Thus you must mean the fresh water tank.

If the tank level is dropping even when connected to city water your drain valve must be open or partially open (even when fully open the fresh tank takes forever to drain so it could be fully open). Look on the floor near the tank for a valve; the valve's handle should be perpendicular to the pipe (off). Also look under the coach if the valve is open you should see water dripping onto the ground.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
No, no water dripping on the ground. I'm going to monitor it again for the next 4 days, we are in Gatlinburg, and see what happens. I'm keeping the pump off.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #6

State: New York
THOR #12610
hot water issue

I think I have an issue with plumbing in my Axis. I get hot water in both sies of faucets and even in toilet. It is cold when I want hot,then hot when I want cold. I must have wrong valve settings. Have anyone else had an issue like this? thanks dennis
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleflier View Post
I think I have an issue with plumbing in my Axis. I get hot water in both sies of faucets and even in toilet. It is cold when I want hot,then hot when I want cold. I must have wrong valve settings. Have anyone else had an issue like this? thanks dennis
Trying to think if there is a configuration of the water heater bypass valves that would result with this: The only thing I can think of is that all 3 of the valves are open. Which model Axis do you have? If its a 24.1 pull off the cold air return vent under the fridge and look at your bypass valves. If the middle one is open (the one that runs between hot and cold) close it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #8

State: New York
THOR #12610
I have a 25.1 ,but I think I know where bypass is and it may be open I'll try it . THANKS
Old 09-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Trying to think if there is a configuration of the water heater bypass valves that would result with this: The only thing I can think of is that all 3 of the valves are open. Which model Axis do you have? If its a 24.1 pull off the cold air return vent under the fridge and look at your bypass valves. If the middle one is open (the one that runs between hot and cold) close it.
Thanks for this info., again, Jamie ! During our trip in July, we experienced a problem with our hot water...got fouled by Sulphur water...we have it cleared out...however, when we turn on the hot water, we get about 20 seconds of water then air. Perhaps we left that valve open ?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:38 AM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Thanks for this info., again, Jamie ! During our trip in July, we experienced a problem with our hot water...got fouled by Sulphur water...we have it cleared out...however, when we turn on the hot water, we get about 20 seconds of water then air. Perhaps we left that valve open ?
We returned today, from a 3 week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Ron checked the valves to make sure all was in the correct position. The hot water heater cleared itself and worked perfectly. So happy for that.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote