Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
KOA Journey, Tucumcari

The KOA Journey in Tucumcari, NM, is very basic, but everything works and it has clean showers and restrooms, a decent store, laundry room, and an on-site cafe with dinner and breakfast. You can dine in, carry out, or they will deliver it to you.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171207_173511.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	8132

FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #2

THOR #8503
We left Southern California Monday just as the wildfires were starying. The Santa Ana winds were the strpngedt of the year and the first 40 miles were really dicey droving the ACE. We then camped two nights in AZ, and spent last night parked in front of our son's home in Alamogordo, NM. Today, as we drove north from Alamogordo to Santa Rosa, every other rv we saw was headed south. We were turning at one intersection and there were two rvs waiting to turn the other way and one of the guys looked at me like, "What in the world is wrong with you? You are going the wrong way!!" It was 21 degrees with snow flurries at the time.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Glad you got through the winds, this was one of the strongest wind storms we have had in awhile, and covered more areas in SoCal and lasted for days and days. Driving in those winds can be very difficult. I was in 70MPH cross winds in the desert some years ago, in my 41 foot DP, and it was a lot of work keeping it going in a straight or even close to a straight line. I was down to 25 - 30 MPH with the big rigs. Hope your stay in SoCal was enjoyable
Old 12-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #4

THOR #8503
We had a great stay, Laco. The recommendations for East Shore RV Park were spot on. It's the best we have been in so far. So sad about the devastation across SoCal by the wildfires. Be safe.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Stayed there earlier this year. I agree 100%. Looks like your all the way in the back by the showers. I was one spot over. Very nice staff.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:31 AM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
Stayed there earlier this year. I agree 100%. Looks like your all the way in the back by the showers. I was one spot over. Very nice staff.
In Tucumcari, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
The KOA Journey in Tucumcari, NM, is very basic, but everything works and it has clean showers and restrooms, a decent store, laundry room, and an on-site cafe with dinner and breakfast. You can dine in, carry out, or they will deliver it to you.Attachment 8132
Old 12-09-2017, 02:44 AM   #7

THOR #8503
Yep, that's where we were, Papaw's House.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #8

THOR #8503
Smile Made it!

We got home from our Southern California trip about 2 hours ago. Spent the last night in Oklahoma City at Mustang Run RV Camp. It was very nice. Had originally planned to spend one more night on the road, but when we got up this morning, decided to do a longer than usual day and just come on home. The total RV mileage for the trip was 3960 miles, also drove probably 300 in the toad while in SoCal. The ACE worked like a charm. We only had two issues, one expected and one unexpected. The cable TV wouldn't work anywhere, but we expected that since I already thought the coax from the exterior port was bad. This just helped confirm that. The unexpected issue was someplace along the way I developed a slow leak in the inside rear tire on the passenger side. It only seemed to lose air at night while parked. Pumped it up each morning, checked several times throughout the day and it was always OK, then the next morning it would be low again. I have to get it in for an oil change this week, so I'll try to have that tire checked at the same time.

This was our first long trip and we enjoyed it thoroughly except for the VERY strong winds leaving SoCal Monday morning and all the way across Texas on Interstate 40 from the New Mexico state line to the Oklahoma state line - I guess now we know why they chose the Amarillo area as the location for several hundred windmills. This trip confirms for us that we made a good decision when we finally decided to try RVing. We are already starting to figure out things we will want in our next one.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Glad you got home safely. Now that you have a great spot to stay in SoCal, maybe another trip west? Next time maybe there will time and we can connect.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #10

THOR #8503
Sounds good, Laco.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
In Tucumcari, that is.
We stayed in the Tucumcari KOA in June...agree...very basic..but the staff is terrific and we had a good breakfast !
Next time..if you venture to Amarillo...the KOA there is nice too...and the
Big Texan Steakhouse has a limo service to their location and return...good food good service.
I was surprised when Ron said he wanted to go to Amariillo...Ron did tech school there in Air Force early 60's...
we had such a good time...the Texas Grand Canyon is nearby..and the Alabites Quarry (Native American History) is near plus an RV Museum and a neat car Museum. We, also, visited a private airfield..and viewed vintage aircraft taking off and a fly over us !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 AM   #12

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We stayed in the Tucumcari KOA in June...agree...very basic..but the staff is terrific and we had a good breakfast !
Next time..if you venture to Amarillo...the KOA there is nice too...and the
Big Texan Steakhouse has a limo service to their location and return...good food good service.
I was surprised when Ron said he wanted to go to Amariillo...Ron did tech school there in Air Force early 60's...
we had such a good time...the Texas Grand Canyon is nearby..and the Alabites Quarry (Native American History) is near plus an RV Museum and a neat car Museum. We, also, visited a private airfield..and viewed vintage aircraft taking off and a fly over us !
We did dinner at Tucumcari, but they were not offering breakfast the morning we left. Owner told me it was his wife's (the chef) first day off since February - I think she's earned it.

Sounds like a good visit in Amarillo. I would like to stop ther eon one of our western trips. Did you visit the Cadillacs?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
We did dinner at Tucumcari, but they were not offering breakfast the morning we left. Owner told me it was his wife's (the chef) first day off since February - I think she's earned it.

Sounds like a good visit in Amarillo. I would like to stop ther eon one of our western trips. Did you visit the Cadillacs?
We have viewed the Cadillacs in the past .. also, did the section of route 66 in Amarillo and Tucumcari ... I am born and raised in Albuq...so that area is near and dear to me even tho I have been away for 50 yrs ! Returns to NM are often to see family and old friends .. we have a camping trip planned for next season in northern NM ...have several areas on our agenda.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
KOA Journey, Tucumcari

These Cadillacs? I bet there are some folks on this Forum who could get one or two up and running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	8185
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1652.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	8184  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
These Cadillacs? I bet there are some folks on this Forum who could get one or two up and running.

Attachment 8185
'those be the ones !! :0) '

here is a photo of Airstream Ranch on I-4 FL east of Tampa ..
the dealer created it to commemorate 75 yrs of Airstreams

Name:	airstream ranch FL.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	8190
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
KOA Journey, Tucumcari

That's cool! I'll look for them if down that way. It'll take a lot of spray paint to color those. But that would ruin the Airstream look. [emoji57]
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
The KOA Journey in Tucumcari, NM, is very basic, but everything works and it has clean showers and restrooms, a decent store, laundry room, and an on-site cafe with dinner and breakfast. You can dine in, carry out, or they will deliver it to you.Attachment 8132
We stayed here in January 2017 while driving Route 66, and there was several inches of snow on the ground. Probably would have been a good stop if not for the snow and cold.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #18

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Further into the town on historic route 66 is a place that we like to stay at. Forgot the name of it (Cactus inn?) but restarants are located next to it, same with most of the businesses. Qaint atmosphere and the cost was about $25 a night.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
We have stayed at the KOA Journey in Tucumcari. In addition to all the other comments, they serve a nice breakfast and the folks who run this KOA are very nice.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
'those be the ones !! :0) '

here is a photo of Airstream Ranch on I-4 FL east of Tampa ..
the dealer created it to commemorate 75 yrs of Airstreams
Attachment 8190
The Airstreams on FL I-4 are no longer there. Replaced by a new RV sales center !
Jeep Wrangler TJ