Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
First Time Crossing into Canada via RV

Our first crossing into Canada with the RV was not the uneventful one we were hoping for. When we arrived at the Peace bridge crossing going into Niagara falls Ontario, there was quite a long line in all lanes, this was at approx. 4PM on Tuesday afternoon. We sat there for approx. 10 minutes then one of the guys helping with traffic told us to go to lane 9, park at the gate and go inside. When we went in, the border guard checked our documents, asked a few questions, then told us to wait right there. He and another guard went inside the MH, probably stayed inside about 10 minutes, then came out and told us to have a good trip. All said, we did probably save 30-45 minutes not having to wait in the regular line but it was just a little unnerving. We had absolutely nothing you weren't supposed to but I've just never liked getting searched regardless. We stayed at the Jellystone RV park there in Niagara Falls Ontario which was a pretty nice place. More geared for families with kids but clean and reasonable. Only issue I had there was, they tried to put me on site #218 which had a big electrical box next to it with poles and made the site a little tight for my rig. I got the MH between that and the electrical hook up on the other side but not enough room to put the slides out without having the front end sitting in the road. We called and they moved us to a site next door which had plenty of room. I don't have a clue why they'd even try to put a huge MH on site 218 with the obstructions on it. It would be fine for something smaller with one slideout, maybe.

We live close to Gatlinburg, TN and drove up through WV and PA before getting to Buffalo, NY and crossing into Canada. The roads in PA and NY were horrendous! I thought the MH was going to be beat to death before we got there. Also, I realize the toll road situation in the eastern states, been there, done that but it's outrage to pay so much to drive on roads in such poor condition. We paid roughly $25 going up and on one stretch, it was over $15 and it was the worst section. This was the I90 section running parallel with Lake Erie, the five mile run around mile marker 450 was like an old stagecoach trail!!

Other than this, the trip was great, the falls spectacular and the return to the states no problem. We had a great time!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
That’s funny. We got into Canada in a matter of a few minutes — there was no line at all.

Getting back into US, on the other hand, felt very uncomfortable. The guard started a conversation asking a lot of personal/background information which was obviously meant to screen us.

Times have changed. As a child my family traveled to Canada on vacation and only needed parents’ drivers license. We didn’t even need US passports or birth certificates as I recall.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Did you notice the Government Pawn Shop just behind their office??
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you "made the grade..."
If you can: try to look at it this way:

The Security protocols are only meant to keep everyone safe...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is about the same as when we got inspected at the Canadian border once. We have an annual trip to Canada and have been making a crossing each year for about the past 20 years (not at Niagara falls, however, as I'm sure the popularity of the spot is what leads to that line).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote