Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Good place to camp around Pensacola??

My wife and I are trying to figure out where we want to take our “new to us” travel trailer on our first trip. We’re in southern Missouri, and we’re wanting to head towards the ocean…..maybe straight south to Galveston Texas? Maybe somewhere around the Gulfport / Pensacola Florida area?
What are some nice RV park areas around there that aren’t super expensive (some I saw were over $120+ a night), but have nice amenities, and are close to the beach?

I found a few around Pensacola Beach that looked nice…..but it was almost as much to stay at a decent hotel vs. the RV Park. And most of the RV parks I saw still require you to drive a few miles to make it to the beach….can you find RV parks right on the water? Having a small 19ft travel trailer, am I better trying to find a camping area vs. an RV park?

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
We really enjoy Topsail Beach Preserve SP. It's quite close to the beach if you have bikes to ride or a trolley will drop you off at the boardwalk which is a short walk. Full hookup sites with cable TV. In fact, we just booked reservations for Dec. 2nd till the 6th there.

Here's the website info:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Topsail-Hill
Old 06-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
By far the BEST place to camp on the Gulf is Camp Gulf in Destin. You can literally camp ON THE BEACH! We took our MH for a week there last year. Yes, it is almost as expensive as renting a condo, however, I did not have to "LUG" umbrellas, ice chests, toys, towels, ect. up and down elevators/stairs and to and from the beach every day. And the beach was not crowded.

Destin Florida RV Park Camp Gulf is their website. The beach side sites are usually booked up, but if you are lucky, like I was last year, they may be a beach site available. The only issue is there is no sewer on the beach sites, however, directly across are sites that are FULL hook ups.

One downside, sand gets EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING!

I highly recommend this campground.

Safe travels!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
You also have St Andrews and Peridio Key state parks. Topsail is the best though.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Campgrounds on Florida Panhandle

Thank you everyone for the info regarding campgrounds in the Pensacola area, etc. We plan to make a stop for a couple days on our return from Central Florida in July.
We had heard Carabelle Beach is a good location. It is east of Pensacola..anyone have info regarding that rv resort?

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #2954
I live in Pensacola and most of the suggestions are an hour or more away from Pensacola. Are you looking to stay in close proximity to P'cola? If so I would recommend Santa Rosa RV resort in Navarre. It got very high reviews, is 30 minutes from P'cola, is on the sound, and is 5 minutes from the Gulf. Fort Pickens is also an option it is on P'cola beach. It is tourist season here so getting a spot may be tricky for all of the recommendation so far (including mine).
Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Model: ACE
THOR #698
Ft Pickens is a very good campground at the end of the island. You have access to the beach and the bay from it. It doesn't have sewer hooks ups but for $26 it is not a bad price. Have if you have the senior card you get 50% off. The beach is pretty empty as most people don't want to pay the entrance fee. It also has a fishing pier and you don't need a license to fish from it.
You also have Big Lagoon state park on the other side of town near Perdido Key. It has access to the bay and the beach is a short drive over the bridge.

There is Avalon Beach cg, private, the rates are reasonable and some of the sites are on the water. Don't let your dog go by the bayou as there are alligators. Saw one about 7' long last year.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

Model: Fleetwood Flair 28A
State: Alabama
THOR #4520
Try Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama, the current rates are:

PEAK RATES = MARCH 1st- OCTOBER 31st

Standard Sites : $37 / $40 / $228

Bobcat, Raccoon, Bear, Quail, Opossum, Sumac,

Rabbit, Off Water Gator, Live Oak off Water

Live Oak Across from water— $40 / $44 / $249

Gator Waterfront Sites— $40 / $44 / $249

Live Oak on Water Back In- $40 / $44 / $249

Canal on Water Pull Thru— $49 / $52 / $299
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #9

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Well, after going through all of the suggestions from you guys, I think my wife and I have decided to go and check out Fort Pickens for a week. We're going to shoot for early October. I really like the fact that it's pretty secluded with just a short walk to the beach.

I had a few more questions for some of you guys who have been there before.

1. How's the fishing off of the pier/dock at Fort Pickens? I'm hoping I can catch dinner a few of the nights we are there.

2. If I can't manage to catch any fish, are there any good fresh seafood stores close by?

3. What kind of activities would you recommend for a family with a 1 year old? If we are going to be there for a week, I don't want to get bored, I want to make sure we have plenty of options for fun things to do.

Thanks again for all of the information!!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Pensacola RV resort, across street from the beach $$$$

Pensacola RV park, quiet rv park with some amenities, a drive to the beach $$
Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
On Pensacola Beach check out Peg Leg Pete's and Flounders for great eats. There are plenty of others but these two are proven and popular over the years.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #12

Model: ACE
THOR #698
The Spanish Mackerel should be in abundance that time of year. Get some Gottcha lures and some short wire leader or heavy mono. There also flounder and almost any thing in the Gulf swims by the pier so you may hang one that takes all of your line. You don't need a license from the pier but you do need one if you fish from the beach.
Peg Legs and Flounders are good seafood restaurants on the beach and if you want some fresh sea food, there is Joe Patti's in Pensacola, great sea food at good prices. They even have a selection of frozen if you want to take some back.
If you need food, stop in Gulf Breeze at Publix or Wal Mart food store, as there is not much on the beach. There is Gulf Breeze bait and tackle in Gulf Breeze where you can stop for bait, lures and ask them what you need from the pier.
Touring the old fort is pretty interesting so that is something you can do for a few hours. Also check and see if the Blue Angles are practicing and you can watch them across the bay at the fort.
You also need to have Plan B for a campsite. The road to Ft Pickens is at sea level and easily covered by sand. The Fort is close right now because of the storm that went through this week. The photo is from last year after they plowed the sand from the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208 (640x480).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2710  
Old 08-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
North of Pensacola there is Blackwater State Forest. If you enjoy hiking, swimming in fresh water and generally being in the woods, check out Krul, Bear Lake, Hurricane Lake and Karick Lake. Krul is a swimming only lake with lifeguards during the season, campground is loaded with families. Lots of kiddies. There is a old grist mill and a trail to Bear Lake. Bear Lake is a fishing lake with primitive area and improved campground. It has a 5 mile trail around the lake. Hurricane Lake is fishing, hiking and camping. Karick and Hurricane each have two campgrounds on opposite sides of the lakes. Hot showers and flush toilets. Even have magazines in the bathrooms!
You will find the Jackson Trail, Florida Trail, lots of loop trails, canoe and tube rentals in the area for Coldwater Creek and others. A different and beautiful part of Florida.
Campground rates are $20 or less per night.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...r-State-Forest
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6099
Sand Piper in Galveston Tx is a good park. Basically on, or next to the beach, and bike distance to restaurants.
We have reservations at Camp Gulf June 7th. We are very excited. We are one off of the beach with full hookups.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Blackwater river state park. Near Pensacola or big lagoon state park both are fabulous
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6099
We just got back from Camp Gulf in Destin Fl. It was a great park. Plenty of things for the kids to do. The employees were helpful and friendly. The spots are tight, but the view from the front window of our class a was awesome. The beach was great also.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 AM   #17

Model: 26B
THOR #5734
Do not miss going to the National Naval Aviation Museum aboard Pensacola NAS

Welcome - National Naval Aviation Museum
Old 06-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #18

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Ditto on Gulfcoasters comment on the museum. On our trip in 2015 we were lucky enough to catch the Blue Angels in practice and that was totally awesome🙌
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #19

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
We went to St. Andrews a couple weeks ago and it was great. Plenty of tree's and a short bike ride to the gulf and Bay.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Ft. Pickens state park is nice also but call in advance