Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Florida
THOR #5476
Miami, FL to Crosville, TN

Took Palazzo Vigil out of state for the first time......excellent trip. I seem to always learn a few little things that make life easier and also end up with new questions.
First note to self is never drive through Atlanta, Ga. on I-75 at night again. This qualifies as an e ticket ride.....talk about white knuckles! This was my co-pilot's fault.
Stopped at a place in Calhoun GA off of I-75; A-OK Campsite. Basic place, easy to find and excellent for an over nighter.
Deer Run in Crossville, TN is an incredible place. Very picturesque, wonderful place to walk around and very friendly folks. I suspect that this place when the leaves are turning is probably some of God's best work. Highly recommend this place for a longer type stay.
We boondocked in a Cracker Barrel outside of Nashville and also visited a True glamping sight in Pensacola Beach. The glamping sight was exactly that.....everything and anything you need was right there.
The reason for our trip....the eclipse....was nothing short of spectacular. I have a son whose major in school is astrophysics/astronomy so, a trip was mandated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	6540

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	6541

Old 08-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wow, sounds like you had a great time!!! I've been to Crossville many times, in laws used to live there, a truly beautiful area!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well as a general rule just don't drive I-75 through Atlanta...ever! LOL

Other than that it sounds like you had a great time.

For those who saw it the Eclipse certainly delivered.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you think Atlanta is bad, try I-35 thru Dallas. Texas drivers don't pay any attention to speed limits, if it says 70 then you need to be doing 80 otherwise you're blocking traffic! Drivers here wait until the last possible moment to exit, usually cutting across all four lanes without signals and then slamming on their brakes, ignoring the motorhome or semi directly behind them. An E ticket attraction to be sure!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Miami, FL to Crosville, TN

Glad you had a great trip. I used to drive a church bus full of Boy Scouts through Atlanta to summer camp from Pensacola. Going through Atlanta definitely white knuckle. There is only one time to drive through Atlanta in an RV; that is at 4AM on Sunday morning. Otherwise I take Hwy 27 on the western side of the state it's a beautiful 4 lane with little traffic. I don't care if it takes an extra day or two; it doesn't go through Atlanta. I discovered it after leaving Roan Mtn in Tn and then visiting Amicolola Falls SP in north Ga. I didn't want to go through Atlanta going south. Now it's my go to Hwy through Ga. I tried going up the east side but Athens Ga is a training ground for immortal UGA student drivers who probably wind up in Atlanta or Dallas.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8982
Wohoo, amazing pic of the eclipse.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Eclipse was excellent!

We were in Cumberland Mtn. State park for the eclipse...great place. Driving back to Ann Arbor with the other 87MM that travelled was daunting but glad we made the trip.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37lx
State: Oklahoma
THOR #10261
We were in Casper WY for the eclipse. It was amazing. Now I know why the couple from Denmark was there.