Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Mississippi to Utah and points in between

Recently ordered my first MH which should be delivered at the end of Feb. I plan to do a few short shakedown trips to work out all the bugs and get familiar with my coach. Once that is done I want to head to Utah for an extended trip.
I plan to allow 4-6 weeks for this trip but could extend it if I choose.
I would prefer to stay is state or national parks as well as take advantage of any BLM camping sites when available .
I've downloaded several trip planning apps but would love to get your help and advice in planning this trip.
Please share your thoughts on where I should go and what I should not miss. Not only during my time in Utah but sites to see along the way. I would welcome suggestions as to what would be the best route to take from Mississippi to Utah.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Depending on what you like seeing and or doing, I would put Colorado and Arizona high on the list. Both states are beautiful in my opinion. We've gone to Utah starting from Houston a few times and normally end up going through center of Colorado, traveling through scenic highways as much as possible. On our latest trip we were detoured through The Black Canyon of Gunnison in Colorado because of an accident, and were quite impressed with its beauty. Next time we go to Moab we plan to visit the Black Canyon for a few days.

All the National Parks in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona that we have visited were great. Rates in NPs are reasonable, but normally require reservations. If you can plan in advance you can save by going from one NP to the next. There are so many NPs in that area that it's often easy to travel between them in one day. For example, from Zion NP to North Rim of Grand Canyon is an easy drive.