Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Traveling Through Arkansas

Gonna brag on our home state a bit here. We live in Arkansas, and if you haven't been to our state parks here give them a try on your next trip through. We have 52 state parks, and many of them have campgrounds and/or lodges. We have visited all but 5 either on the motorcycle or RV trips.

The campgrounds are some of the best we have experienced. Many are on lakes or rivers. Some are historic or archaeological. There is even the Crater of Diamonds...North America's only public diamond mine. We have 4 distinct geographic regions in the state and campgrounds are represented in each of them. Many beautiful places to relax.

Here is a good place to start to see what we offer here...
www.arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
As much as I like traveling Arkansas, we stayed in one of the state parks this past spring. It was the most unkept state park I have ever been in. Grass/weeds needed cutting, it just needed some tlc. The worst part was the lack of firewood. When asked where to purchase we were told go out into the woods and collect fallen trees. Now its really not a pretty sight to see two old people going to the woods to collect small sticks to have a fire. I would have thought the park could have sold wood.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
As much as I like traveling Arkansas, we stayed in one of the state parks this past spring. It was the most unkept state park I have ever been in. Grass/weeds needed cutting, it just needed some tlc. The worst part was the lack of firewood. When asked where to purchase we were told go out into the woods and collect fallen trees. Now its really not a pretty sight to see two old people going to the woods to collect small sticks to have a fire. I would have thought the park could have sold wood.
Sounds like a COE park. What state park was it?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #4

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
The state parks always have wood for sale as they strongly discourage bringing outside wood because of pests.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Living in Northwest Louisiana and loving the Mountains, Arkansas is our go to state for weekend camping. The ozarks are just beautiful. State parks are great, but so are the COE and county/city parks. I use the Allstays app and screen out anything less than 4 stars.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #8692
This past May we drove from St.Louis to Shreveport, LA and took Hwy 160 S. to AR 67 through Little Rock and hwy 30 to northern LA, then down hwy 71 in LA to Shreveport.
What a wonderful trip. The number of AR State Parks we drove past was impressive. The AR Rest Areas were super clean and friendly people were attendants. They had maps of AR, LA and MO which was nice.
We stopped in Hope, AR for lunch and had some excellent BBQ and Fried Pies too. So, now we have to choose which parks in AR should we visit! Cant wait!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
This past May we drove from St.Louis to Shreveport, LA and took Hwy 160 S. to AR 67 through Little Rock and hwy 30 to northern LA, then down hwy 71 in LA to Shreveport.
What a wonderful trip. The number of AR State Parks we drove past was impressive. The AR Rest Areas were super clean and friendly people were attendants. They had maps of AR, LA and MO which was nice.
We stopped in Hope, AR for lunch and had some excellent BBQ and Fried Pies too. So, now we have to choose which parks in AR should we visit! Cant wait!
Next time stop and stay a while. By the time you get to Hope you're nearly in TX or LA. lol

But you gotta love a good fried pie, right?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #5437
I do apologize to all the great Arkansas State Parks. I was incorrect in stating that my bad experience was at a State Park. When it was the Springhill COE park at Barling AK. As I live so close to AK I will keep visiting them.