Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Alabama
THOR #11594
Mointain driving

I want to take a trip to CO, from AL, in my new-to-me 29' Windsport 27K. I've NEVER driven in the mountains so I'm not familiar with gearing up or down. Towing Chevy Colorado. Tips and suggestions, please. TIA!!

Old 05-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Its been a while since I drove in the mountains but I don't suppose the principals have changed much.

Going uphill stay to the right and let the faster traffic pass. There will probably be lots of trucks doing the same thing.

Going downhill, keep your speed down by downshifting and letting the engine control your speed. Use your brakes as little as possible to help prevent overheating the brakes.

Many mountain roads have pull-over spots, so use them if you have overheating problems.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkerinna View Post
I want to take a trip to CO, from AL, in my new-to-me 29' Windsport 27K. I've NEVER driven in the mountains so I'm not familiar with gearing up or down. Towing Chevy Colorado. Tips and suggestions, please. TIA!!

I'm assuming you have the Ford V10 and 6 speed tranny. On the end of your shifter stalk is goofy symbols that represents the tow/haul mode selector. Get familiar with it and you'll love it. It does the downshifting for your. I find using Cruise Control with it annoying but it wants to slow you down too much.

Here's a little more, but search the forum for more in depth discussions. The video could have benefited from narration.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - Video Driving a Vegas 24.1 thru the i40 Gorge
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Watch the yellow curve speed signs!
That should be your MAXIMUM speed around ALL curves!!!

We only use the tow/haul going down the mountain. It will save your brakes!
When the tow haul brake feature kicks in Don't let the 5k rpm bother you, the V10 is built for it!!
When/IF your speed builds use your brakes to slow then take your foot off the brake.

We came down Raton Pass N I25 New Mexico, Colorado last Saturday and used the brakes 3 times. Once to slow down and twice for the yellow speed signs.

When climbing (if you can) build your speed as much as possible before the climb .