Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Outer Banks and Williamsburg Advice

Normally I have all my research and planning done already for our summer road trip, but this year I am really behind. My step dad is dealing with a major health issue, so I have been helping run two households since December. His treatments are over in April, so the end is in sight and I really need this vacation!!!
I am asking for some advice and recommendations for campgrounds, activities, and must see/do's (we have an 11 year old a 14 year old and two small dogs) in the Outer Banks and Williamsburg. We will be traveling up from South Florida starting Memorial Day weekend and the first two weeks in June.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We did OBX a few years ago; stayed at Camp Hatteras. Was kind of nice. They had sites almost right up to the beach (there is a very short boardwalk to cross to get to the beach). We were about 3 aisles from the beach.

They do have a pretty cool video:

Any stay at OBX has to include a visit to the Wright Brothers National Memorial--even if you are only barely interested in flying. Its amazing to walk the short span of those original flights..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Agree with Jamie about the OBX and the Wright Brothers Memorial. In Williamsburg, check out Busch Gardens, the Anheiser Busch brewery tour, and Colonial Williamsburg. There is so much history near there... Yorktown National Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, Fort Monroe plus a bunch of museums all over. You would be lucky to see it all in 2 weeks! There are a lot of campgrounds near Williamsburg, our favorite is off the beaten path about 30 minutes away. It is Ed Allen's Campground and the fishing there is amazing!!

We used to live in Virginia Beach, so we know the area well... what else would you be interested in?
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #4

Model: Quantum KM24
State: Georgia
THOR #8438
If you're active or retires military or civil service I suggest Cheatham's Annex right off the Colonial Parkway also several additional military campground in the immediate area. Sorry now knowledge of other campgrounds.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Because you asked......

We are not military, so can't use some of their wonderfully located facilities. We also do not have a tow vehicle. Most interested in Old Williamsburg as we have plenty of theme parks here in Florida. Will we need to rent a car to see the sights of Williamsburg and Outer Banks? Kids interested in science, history, and nature, so hiking, ranger walks, museums would be on the list. We do like finding tourist oddities, like world's largest pistachio. We are an eclectic off the beaten path bunch.
Keep the suggestions coming..... Forum folks are the best!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We are not military, so can't use some of their wonderfully located facilities. We also do not have a tow vehicle. Most interested in Old Williamsburg as we have plenty of theme parks here in Florida. Will we need to rent a car to see the sights of Williamsburg and Outer Banks? Kids interested in science, history, and nature, so hiking, ranger walks, museums would be on the list. We do like finding tourist oddities, like world's largest pistachio. We are an eclectic off the beaten path bunch.
For the OBX yeah you'll need some form of transportation--its very long and skinny (34 miles from Camp Hatteras to Kitty Hawk).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
You will need a rental then as none of the parks I can think of are close enough to the sights to see. Some may provide a shuttle service (to Colonial Williamsburg, for example) but some of the cool stuff won't be on the list for shuttle destinations.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I used to live near Williamsburg (Hampton Va). Much to do. You will need a rental car to get around. The Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown "Triangle" is very rich in colonial history. Old colonial Williamsburg can be walked once you are there. The colonial parkway which connects the three towns is well worth the drive. Too many exhibits to mention in each area from interpretive displays to re-enactments depending on the season. If you are into something different there is a company in Williamsburg which rents Segway's and will take yo on hiking trails - might be fun for you. Wife and I enjoyed it a few years ago.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #9

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
We were in Williamsburg last year we stayed at American Heritage RV Park. Very nice, clean park, many amenities. Campground was close to everything, all attractions mentioned previously. We also did not have a car. We rented one from Enterprise, very convenient picked us up and dropped us off at the campground. Had a great time, grandkids 14 & 16 also enjoyed it.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I'll follow this with interest. I'm itching to get back up to Williamsburg some day and take my family.

I lived there back in my bachelor days, in the early 1990's..... many years before I ever dreamed of being an RV'er...so I really wasn't paying attention to RV concerns back then. It was so long ago that everything surely has changed by now. I know that when i went back for a 1 night business visit maybe 15 years ago it had already changed so much where I lived that i barely recognized it.

I rented a condo about 1,400 feet from Anvil RV park, as the crow flies....
I lived there 4 years and had a free resident pass. I was single and had nothing but time on my hands, used to ride my bike down to the colonial district all the time.... and in 4 years I still don't think I saw everything in that area!

I researched it a couple years back, thinking I'd make a trip up there....never happened sadly. I was disappointed to find that there were no RV parks within walking distance of the colonial district. If there was, you probably wouldn't have a lot of need for a car since they used to at least have a very good bus system for the tourists. Anvil would be just over 3 miles from the visitor's center or the colonial district. I think that's the closest.

You might check...maybe the buses run out that way...or to the other RV parks

As I understand it from a friend that still lives up there, who also now has an RV, Newport News Park is probably the best camping experience nearby, but it's a fair hike to williamsburg.... not bad with a car though.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
If you're coming from Florida I'd recommend you go up to US-64 near Williamston NC to go over to the OBX and take NC-12 South to the Cape Hatteras NP at Oregon Inlet (check them out on AllStays.com). Last stay was last year and cost me $10.00 since I have the Senior Pass. Had basics - no electricity. Within easy walking distance is a marina and a couple of stores for small goods and souvenirs.

Best part is you walk across the dunes and you're at the Atlantic Ocean. If you have a toad or bicycles Nags Head is 10 miles north.

Definitely need to make reservation during tourist season.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote