Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
Montana trip

Hi,
We are planning a cross country trip from Wisconsin to Western Montana this June. First trip like this with our Vegas 25.2. We welcome any comments and suggestions from anyone if they have been in this area with their Vegas or Axis. How it handled in the mountains, camping suggestions etc. I see a lot of state or national parks do not have electric and we're unsure on how much or how long we can use battery or generator in that type of camping. Thanks

Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #10815
Hi M/J,

I was out there last fall, drove up from Yellowstone to Glacier NP. Forest fires were the biggest problem. You are correct a lot of the parks do not have much for us RVers. But I still had a good trip. It seemed to be the the custom that after dark you didn't run the generator a lot. But it is cool at those elevations, and I didn't need it. I enjoyed a peaceful quiet dark campground instead. Watch for the wildlife in camp. You may have more space between sites too, and generators are usually allowed until 10 PM. Some areas of the National Parks do have hookups, but they are frequently full. Make a reservation, or hang out at the campground ranger station around checkout time. You will enjoy your trip, just get used to being flexible.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #3

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
I am doing st paul to yellowstone last week of june, staying in livingston mt and cody wy. Could not get a rv spot in yellowstone.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
Hi,
We are planning a cross country trip from Wisconsin to Western Montana this June. First trip like this with our Vegas 25.2. We welcome any comments and suggestions from anyone if they have been in this area with their Vegas or Axis. How it handled in the mountains, camping suggestions etc. I see a lot of state or national parks do not have electric and we're unsure on how much or how long we can use battery or generator in that type of camping. Thanks

Your Vegas will handle the mountains fine, you'll just be slow like most gas RVs uphill, and you'll use the Tow/Haul button to tame the downhills.

You are probably way too late to get reservations at any of the national or state parks. Make reservations private campgrounds around any popular area. You may be too late for many of them, too. Two apps, AllStays and RVParky help us find parks. You really need to plan this out ahead in the busy summer months. We tow a car, so an RV park near our destination allows us to do day drives into the areas we want to explore.

When we are on the road, we overnight at WMart or Crakr Barl often. We use a $25/yr app for this, OvernightRVParking. It's a bargain.

Happy trails!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

THOR #7565
Thanks everyone, appreciate the suggestions. We have secured our campground reservations, so we're set on that. We just wanted to know what to expect with handling the Vegas 25.2 in the mountains.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Ya gotta be careful when you ask general questions on forums like this. You never know what detours the thread will take.

Have a great trip and report back!
Old 06-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #10785
We handled 16 over the big horns pretty well in our Thor Windsport towing a 4800 lbs mini van on a tow dolly. There is a steep grade of 6 or 7% for about 10 miles coming over the big horns from Buffalo to Cody. We had to pull over several times to let the surge brakes cool. Then we went from Cody to West Yellow stone and that was a piece of cake compared to the big horns. Safe travels and have fun.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #8

THOR #7565
Hi 4jellybeans,
Where you using the tow/haul button and you still had to pull over to let it cool? How did you know when to pull over and let them cool. We've only had one experience when the engine and brakes sounded funny and we were not sure what was happening. We were coming down off the Smokey Mountains route with at 9000 feet elevation, afraid we got into more than we could handle. I think we want to avoid getting into this type of situation again.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #10785
I was using the tow/haul button and I think that was what caused the surge brakes to overheat. I just guesstimated when to pull over. It was a 10 mile steep grade over the big horns, it felt like it went on forever. The last couple of steep hills I went down I took it out of tow/haul and slowed way down at the top of the hill and tried to keep a slow speed using the brakes to get me back to 25/30 then letting off, every now and then I would kick the accelerator just a bit to get the surge brakes to disengage. It seemed to work, you will be fine if you just make sure you are going really slow at the top and use turn outs every so often to let everyone by.