Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Only if it sets off all that leaking propane!

This is actually some pretty serious business... These rules are in place to try and prevent the "Page-One, Top News Story" kind of events.

The ones that you'd never want you or your family to be in!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I don't know why they are so concerned about the RV propane being turned off. You would think they would be more focused on my trailer full of M183 demolition charges. :-)
LMAO!!![emoji13]
Old 02-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #23

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
https://mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Nothing in your link regarding the CBBT.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So is it even legal to drive with the propane tank valve turned on? I’ve been doing it for decades.....I don’t even turn off my appliances when buying gasoline. (I do when buying propane though!). I’m not too old or stubborn to learn though - SHOULD it be off? My wife would not be happy with a long drive in a hot day with the fridge off!
Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So is it even legal to drive with the propane tank valve turned on? I’ve been doing it for decades.....I don’t even turn off my appliances when buying gasoline. (I do when buying propane though!). I’m not too old or stubborn to learn though - SHOULD it be off? My wife would not be happy with a long drive in a hot day with the fridge off!
It is NOT illegal and is one of the main reasons for having a propane powered refrigerator.

What would make you think it is illegal?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
He's just conflating several separate issues...
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #28

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It is NOT illegal and is one of the main reasons for having a propane powered refrigerator.

What would make you think it is illegal?

Well I was exploring the “tons of videos of campers on fire” comment which led to articles on RV fire safety and the first article I read stated it as a fact. I had never heard that before as I too thought that was one of the benefits of a propane fridge. The article said to run it on battery only when traveling. It was not any sort of official document. Just the authors opinion I’m sure . But there it was, since you asked.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
So you "heard it on the Interweb so it must be true!"?

There's lotsa of made-up/false facts floating around by self-proclaimed experts on lotsa stuff on the Internet. The scary propane use in RVs is just one of them.

In my previous career as a nuclear power plant operator/supervisor we always had to refer to the source documents for any operation/procedure.

Whenever someone tells me something that I suspect is not correct I always ask "where is that written?". In this case I would ask which state/federal statute states that using propane in an RV on the road is illegal.

Does it make sense that using propane would be illegal but we have CNG vehicles on the same roadways?

And I can guarantee you that if it was illegal the DOT would make RV manufacturers install interlocks that would shut off the propane flow as soon as the ignition was on.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #30

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
Just to keep it going.....

From RV Tripwizard https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...in-tunnels.php

Propane Tanks in Tunnels
The following information comes from several sources that we believe to be correct, but because state laws change, we cannot guarantee accuracy.

GENERAL COMMENTS:
Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.

Virginia tunnels go down under the water. Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels. So you need to stop and tell an inspector they are turned off.

Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.

LP-GAS PROHIBITED:
Maryland/Baltimore:
Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695.

Massachusetts/Boston Harbor:
All tunnels.

New York/East River:
Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel.

New York and New Jersey/Hudson River:
Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel.

Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.

LP-GAS RESTRICTIONS:
Virginia/Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel: RVs equipped with ICC-approved compressed cooking tanks not exceeding two 45-pound capacity tanks (or two permanently mounted containers with maximum total capacity of 200 pounds) may cross the facility provided that, in the opinion of the toll collector or police sergeant after inspection, the tanks are completely shut off and securely attached.

Texas/Houston Ship Channel: Washburn Tunnel between Pasadena and Galena Park: Maximum of two 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited. 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Had he mentioned that he saw it on the internet: we all would have known how true it is!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #32

THOR #6826
Hey, I just asked a question. I didn’t know so I asked.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Nobody is complaining: it just shows how a topic can veer off in unplanned directions...
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #34

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Whoop whoop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	15743  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #35

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The lines to them and under your coach are charged. Propane is heavier than air and will pool at the bottom of a tunnel or lowest spot. Stand still traffic with a leaking propane tank nearby or a tank line ruptured in an accident or hit by run-over debris could be disastrous...your average 60 gallon LP tank equals approximately 650 cubic feet of gas in the open air.

I meant 60 pound tank...brain fart...
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #36

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

Leave it on when running...keep the suds cold...turn fridge and furnace off when gassing up. Many RV's have burned to the ground along with the business from gas fumes being ignited by pilot lights or appliance burners at the fuel pumps.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 AM   #37

State: California
THOR #13807
Pdi

Make sure they show you where you breaker box is located and also the breaker switch for your generator. During my recent "Pre-trip checklist," the breaker at the generator tripped for some reason. The generator ran fine, but there was no power to my appliances inside the RV.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #38

THOR #11130
Over the years, many Rv's have burned to a pile of ashes along the interstates as a result of fires starting behind the fridge while powering it on gas underway...way before the internet. It's your camper and your choice. The days of 3-Way power were nice...run it on 12V underway, gas on boondock and 120V on shore power. If I had a gas fridge I would install an inverter (if you don't have one) just to run the fridge on 120V while underway and keep generator and gas turned off.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: the use of propane for powering a refrigerator seems as if it shouldn't be necessary. I use electricity of whatever sort I can get: whenever I can use it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #40

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Over the years, many Rv's have burned to a pile of ashes along the interstates as a result of fires starting behind the fridge while powering it on gas underway...way before the internet. It's your camper and your choice. The days of 3-Way power were nice...run it on 12V underway, gas on boondock and 120V on shore power. If I had a gas fridge I would install an inverter (if you don't have one) just to run the fridge on 120V while underway and keep generator and gas turned off.

You know, I’ve never even considered that. I’ve just run on propane for nearly 3 decades now. Just figured that’s what it’s there for. Not sure why a fire would be more likely while underway than when parked but there is a concern about fire from an open propane line in the event of an accident. I believe I’ll look into an inverter for just that purpose. Do you have one to recommend? Thanks for a good idea.