Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Bike Friendly Towns

Wife and I are avid bike riders. We have our road bikes and recumbent trikes with fat tires. We are wanting suggestions on what cities or towns cater to bicyclist. Example would be San Antonio TX. They have great bike/walking trails everywhere. These are paved 4 to 8 foot wide and stretch for miles. Off-road trails work for our trikes as long as they are 4 foot wide and not rocky as are many mountain bike paths. Our trikes have 38 inch wide stance.

So...let the list begin!

Thanks

Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not necessarily a town per se but the Port Huron, MI KOA has a rails to trails path that connects the campground to a 10+ mile trail. Be warned though: That KOA is very popular with families and is usually booked up every weekend in the summer.

Here is the trail: Wadhams to Avoca trail. The trail ends at an old 640 feet long trestle bridge.

Access to the trail from the campground is simply a gate at the very back of the campground.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Several Rails to Trails in FL. Still have to watch out for the drivers here though.
Van Fleet, Old Straight Arrow, goes through parts of the Green Swamp. Towns on either maybe bike friendly.
Withlacoochee on the west coast is nice, 42 miles one way.
There is a new trail going in between Palatka and St Augustine FL. Haven't ridden it yet.
Gainsville/Hawthorne trail is a favorite, about 30 miles not including spurs.
White Springs, nice state park, has some trails wide enough for the trikes, also the near by state forest. You will have to watch out for the single track sections.
Cross City/Fanning Springs/ Chiefland with camping at Hart Springs, Otter Springs or Manatee Springs. That makes a Y but it's mostly along 19/98.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
Two places I would recommend, one in the winter and on in the summer months.

1. Tuscon AZ "The Loop" The Loop - Pima County

All paved trails,over a hundred miles of riding..

2. Grand Canyon of the East in Pennsylvania PA Grand Canyon - Lodging, Attractions, Directions, Maps

Pine Creek trail is a rails to trails project. It is mostly hard packed gravel. I have ridden a road bike on it, but not fun. Bigger tires are recommended.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Katy trail is 240 miles through Missouri. We have not been on it but may look into it next year.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
Wife and I are avid bike riders. We have our road bikes and recumbent trikes with fat tires. We are wanting suggestions on what cities or towns cater to bicyclist. Example would be San Antonio TX. They have great bike/walking trails everywhere. These are paved 4 to 8 foot wide and stretch for miles. Off-road trails work for our trikes as long as they are 4 foot wide and not rocky as are many mountain bike paths. Our trikes have 38 inch wide stance.

So...let the list begin!

Thanks
Not far from San Antonio there is Fredericksburg, TX that is a great place to ride. There are many paved roads all around town with little traffic, many passing through private ranch properties. Just watch for cattle crossings, particularly if wet. The pipes can get very slick. And always cross at 90 degrees. Sorry, you probably already knew that.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Also ....

Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor in Maine made us wish we had our bikes with us when there earlier this year. There were lots of road cyclist on paved roads and more on unpaved gravel trails throughout park. We settled for hiking but can't wait to go back with more time, and with bikes. Trails we saw around lakes were very wide, like maybe 20 feet or so. Should be no problem for trikes.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB
Katy trail is 240 miles through Missouri. We have not been on it but may look into it next year.
There is a campground in St. Charles right on the Katy trail: Sundermeier RV Park. The RV park itself isn't much more than some paved full hook-up spots near downtown St. Charles but it does have gated access to the Katy trail and you're within walking/biking distance of downtown St. Charles (a really nice little city near St. Louis).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Myrtle Beach and Savanna are nice.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #10

THOR #3261
If you ever visit the Wisconsin Dells don't forget to check out the Elroy Sparta trail.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Thanks all! Anyone else have suggestions for places out west?
Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Corvallis Oregon

I think Corvallis, Oregon (while I've often called it the most unfriendly city in America) is probably the most bike friendly city in America. They have numerous bike trails, bike parks, bike lanes, bike parking etc etc.
You don't need them though as in Corvallis you can ride down the middle of the street, and on the sidewalks. You can ride one or many bikes abreast. You can ignore traffic lights, traffic direction or any other traffic controls. The best part, if you have an accident with a motor vehicle the driver of the vehicle is automatically assumed guilty. I lived in Corvallis for many years and I have to tell you, bikes rule!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Austin Texas has some very nice bike trails along the river, over 20 miles worth if I remember right, you can even stop in a few places and rent a kayak to work out some upper body... And Cameron Park in Waco is also nice with a about 10 mile for your bike and 30 or so miles for mountain bikes. I have been to both place and love them both.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #14

Model: 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #7127
Northwest Arkansas

I see this post is older but thought I'd just add to the list ....

Northwest Arkansas is full of biking. Especially if you are into mountain biking. In fact, IMBA (International Mountain Biking Assoc) held their 2017 summit here. Not to mention it's a beautiful place to visit.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Colorado is VERY bike friendly... Some of the ski slopes allow bikes in the off season ... Buena Vista, Salida, Crested Butte are all bike friendly areas.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Acadia National Park has been mentioned but let me mention that the park is not just one piece. Besides Mt. Desert Island where Bar Harbor is located, there is the Schoodic Peninsula just outside Winter Harbor ME. Schoodic Woods Campground is a nice place for RVs and there are nice biking paths there as well as hiking trails. The Island around Bar Harbor can be crowded and very busy. The Peninsula is much quieter and laid back.
Point of honesty: I volunteered there last year.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 04-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
And don't forget Washington

We always travel with our tandem and a single or two... and now that we are exploring Washington and Oregon, this area is fabulous for biking. If you like trails, check out the Iron Horse state park - it runs for about 230 miles (and the right-of-way continues pretty much across Washington) - and it is quite something to see the remnants of a major trail line. There are a number of places to stay around Ellensburg, or other places further west to ride. You don't want to go too far east, as the trail isn't popular, and you will discover goatheads (if you don't know what they are, then you are from the east like us, and you'll want to learn about them before riding in eastern WA).

Alternatively, if you like some hills, we like to stay in Winthrop (fun town, several nice places to stay) and ride up Rte 20 between April-May. The road is closed in winter, and it usual takes until late May for the plows to clear the snow, so you get the road pretty much to yourself. By late May you can just about ride to the pass if you are in good shape.

Andy
Oak Harbor, WA
Old 04-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #18

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Irvine CA has dedicated bike trails throughout the city running next to flood control channels. There is an RV park in Newport that connects directly to the trails running through Back Bay.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:37 AM   #19

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrescue View Post
I see this post is older but thought I'd just add to the list ....

Northwest Arkansas is full of biking. Especially if you are into mountain biking. In fact, IMBA (International Mountain Biking Assoc) held their 2017 summit here. Not to mention it's a beautiful place to visit.

Like azrescue stated, North West Arkansas if very bike friendly.
The Razorback Regional Greenway:

VISION BECOMES REALITY

The Razorback Regional Greenway is a 36-mile, primarily off-road, shared-use trail that extends from the Bella Vista Trail in north Bentonville to south Fayetteville. The trail links together dozens of popular community destinations.

6 downtowns

3 hospitals

23 schools

The University of Arkansas campus

Corporate headquarters of Walmart, JB Hunt Transport Services and Tyson Foods

Arts and entertainment venues

Historic sites

Parks and Playgrounds

Residential communities

Shopping areas

visit this site for a quick look.
http://nwarpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M...f8f69b0e491aaf