Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
BoondockersWelcome

Just learned about this website, www.boondockerswelcome.com

It's a subscription service, $30/yr or $75/3 yrs. The website has a map with participating hosts and a description with limitations of each host.The ones I checked mostly limited stays to one or two nights and some don't allow pets. Some have no electric, some just house electric and some have 50amp. The ones I checked would allow only 2 RVs at a time.

Most seem to require advance notice. Depending on the way you travel and your destinations, it might be a way to make some new friends off the well traveled paths.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Just learned about this website, www.boondockerswelcome.com

It's a subscription service, $30/yr or $75/3 yrs. The website has a map with participating hosts and a description with limitations of each host.The ones I checked mostly limited stays to one or two nights and some don't allow pets. Some have no electric, some just house electric and some have 50amp. The ones I checked would allow only 2 RVs at a time.

Most seem to require advance notice. Depending on the way you travel and your destinations, it might be a way to make some new friends off the well traveled paths.

Anybody have any experience with this?
We've used Harvest Hosts. Sounds similar but less expensive. I guess it depends on the network and their relationship with the hosts.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I seen that. Not interested in staying in someone driveway which a lot are. I’m sure there’s nice ones to but HH is great. Stayed over many times.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Harvest Host is great as you're dealing with businesses. I did find that other website a while back and something about it seemed a little creepy. Can't put my finger on it but it was just a weird feeling. Maybe it's just me. I saw people in the middle of the night peeking in windows and stuff...sorta like the old "Bates Motel" thing.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
I didn't look at the site. So...private residences? This is interesting. But I'm not sure I could do much of this. HH business owners have a reason for letting you stay. They are hoping you spend some $$ and tell others about them. What's the motivation for these folks other than meeting/talking/evangelizing others? I may be too much an introvert for this.

Makes me think of that scene in Rat Race..."would you like to buy a squirrel?"
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
There's probably some really nice people there. I did read through a good many of the places. Some ask for "donations", some are looking for a little help with the chores while others are ex-RVers and just like visitors. Hard to figure out their motivations, especially if you practice non-judgmental approaches. It just isn't for me. HH vendors have activities, shops, restaurants, etc. While I try hard to see the good in everyone, I still listen closely to that other "voice of better judgement".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
new one for me... yeah, not for me at homes...but I get it.

As an RV'er, I've thought along similar lines that IF I were a business owner...for example the place where I work... We have a nice parking lot that's basically empty nights and weekends, close to the interstate, etc...
I've considered that I'd love to pay it forward and somehow allow folks to overnight...arrive after business hours, leave before....one night limit... and so on. I'd like to think I might even be nice enough to put in a few power pedestals
ditto if I had land that wasn't governed by an HOA, not necessarily at my home, lots of room, etc...
but either way I can imagine it potentially getting out of hand really fast, squatters, trash, etc...
I'm not an owner of such a place, so not something I need to worry about...
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
There's a similar concept for bicyclists called warm showers. Back in my single days I stayed at several places and for a bunch of years we've hosted people riding down the coast. The key was reviews of both hosts and guests went a long way towards ensuring pleasant times. We even got to host a traveling band once. This sounds similar, but much easier. If love to hear if anyone has first hand experiences.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: Colorado
THOR #10498
Intersting concept, but since I live in Colorado, and frequently travel to Utah, we just boondock on BLM, and we do it often. I get the appeal, especially for city folk that want to experience the "country life" or visit a winery.
2016 Polaris RZR 1000 HLE
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Funhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Interesting concept. We know folks who would just love doing this, love meeting local people and sharing local and travel experiences. Would work better for a "wanderer" rather than a "planner". I don't foresee this fitting our travel plans in the future.

The problem with bl2's idea of putting in some hookups is liability and therefore, insurance. As a host, I would be concerned that guest campers might do something stupid and get injured, followed by a lawsuit. Sad that we've come to that!