Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
RV trip planning app

I've used Garmin, Google Maps,, RV trip wizard, Good sam and probably a few others and have yet to see one that will allow me to set a preference for four lane highways. Our most recent trip was 200 miles of state route 2 lane highways with plenty of trucks and nowhere to pull off. I'll drive them when necessary but not my first choice. So anyone out there knows of an app that will allow highway preferences?
Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Click the option "avoid interstates" if yours allow that option.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
No, Gritz, he wants the interstates. I haven't seen a program with a setting preferring 4 lanes, but it seems like all of them I've used give that as first choice, especially if you are set for fastest route.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

THOR #11130
Brain Fart...glad they don't smell. I've always set it at fastest also. There have been a few times I've had to override her. You have to know where you're going first, then use GPS as a guide. Check to make sure it isn't set on the "shortest" route. It will send you through lakes and over cliffs just to cut a half mile off your trip.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Our back up system of current paper maps works very well for this.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

THOR #11130
^^^I've nearly peed my pants at rest areas looking for paper maps before going the bathroom. I love them and live by them. So easy to see the big picture. The Rand McNally "Trucker's Atlas" is the best paper investment you can buy. Once you know the route, fire up "Maxine" and see if she's on the "same page". This brass plaque is on the helm of my boat, just above the wheel..."The prudent navigator will never rely on one single source of navigation". GPS should be your last step in trip planning.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Sorry, don't know of a solution for you.

I wish Google would add options to their map for weight, height, and width restrictions
I suppose this interstate only would also be a good option... but i kinda feel like the height and weight thing would be even more useful... 2-lane roads that can handle the height/weight will most likely be ok if it's found that they will offer a faster routing than an interstate option...

I'm hoping their robot will find enough of these posts online to justify the change..."are you listening GOOGLE?"

I will say, they are improving it all the time... I noticed the other day that they have added the speed limit of the current stretch of road....something I've wanted for a while...
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #8

THOR #11130
There are so many beautiful "back road" options but you never know, after traversing 75 miles through the country, you are coming up on a low underpass or RR crossing that's too elevated to clear your belly. Even the Garmin 770 is suppose to include these features but you still have to self-check your route. Google Aerial Views is great to run ahead of yourself a little but but still takes a lot of time. I've checked fuel station canopy clearances ahead of my route from "street view" to find some are under 12' which would take my roof off. The combination of aerial and street views is almost certain but the time to do it is crazy. Interstates have a mandated minimum clearance of 16' unless otherwise posted...in advance of an exit option, so this makes them safest. It's a jungle out there!!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yeah, I like the idea of "looking ahead" on maps, street view, or even paper maps.
Since my DW won't drive the rig I wish she'd participate more by doing that....just the current leg, GPS reroutes to verify, or looking for upcoming fuel stops to see which station at the next exit looks like the better option, etc... but she has no time for that copilot navigator nonsense.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

THOR #13710
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Yeah, I like the idea of "looking ahead" on maps, street view, or even paper maps.
Since my DW won't drive the rig I wish she'd participate more by doing that....just the current leg, GPS reroutes to verify, or looking for upcoming fuel stops to see which station at the next exit looks like the better option, etc... but she has no time for that copilot navigator nonsense.
Hmmm, same here, probably just as well we wouldn't get to pass many shopping malls.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Don't make GPS your "trusty servant". It has been known to send folks in the opposite direction of where they "think" they are going. I do use it but paper maps are a must.

I travel with a paper map that I've highlighted the schedule route in Yellow with anticipated pit stops in BLUE scheduled night stops in RED. The color coding makes it easier for my co-pilot to find things in a hurry. She has a tendency to get lost looking for a place on a map UNLESS she is looking for a shopping mall or hair salon.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
MapQuest did have that option to avoid secondary highways. Don't know if it still does.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #14140
which gps is the best

want to do back roads etc and know nothing is 100% but would like to know the best GPS for traveling to show low clearances, etc.
Thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers1 View Post
want to do back roads etc and know nothing is 100% but would like to know the best GPS for traveling to show low clearances, etc.
Thanks

Garmin 770-RV
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Garmin 770-RV

X2 for the 770. But know that “the lady in the box” isn’t quite as smart as she thinks she is. Late one Friday night, in the rain, she sent us up a muddy one lane road and then told us we had arrived at our destination in precisely the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama! In reality we were a good 20 miles from our reserved site and owe considerable thanks to the owner of the park who came back to work to help us find our way. Notwithstanding, the 770 is a nice bit of kit and generally has been pretty reliable.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Tennessee
THOR #6584
When I want to go a specific route, I make multiple intermediate waypoints between my current location and my ultimate destination. I then add these to the Garmin in reverse order, allow it to determine the route for each and then select the first point. As I get close to that point, I will stop that route and select the next point. This takes me on exactly the roads I want to ride and not allow that silicon based unity to override the carbon based unit!

As an example, I want to route to see sites of interest and visit museums. I use google maps to determine those POIs by adding them, in order. I need to adjust these as I plan but eventually I have those several waypoints. They may be a city, an intersection of a specific site (museum, landmark, restaurant, etc.).

I then use RV Trip Wizard and the Good Sam Trip Planner to be sure that I avoid any of those roads that would have obstructions to my RV dimensions.
While this may sound like it takes time, I assure you that, with practice, it can be done in about a half hour or less. One benefit is that during this planning, the wife is looking up other things to do at these waypoints. It is surprising just what else our great country has to offer us wanderers that would otherwise be overlooked.

ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THE U.S.A.!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4512
Garmin 770-RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Garmin 770-RV

One dark and stormy night, driving just north of Philadelphia, our Garmin, set for 12' 1" height, routed us off I95 down a country road and under a 9' 10" overpass. I think we had less than 50 yards at 35 MPH to stop. We didn't.

I could understand the mapping error if it were a new road, but it's been there since colonial days. The bad weather is my excuse for not seeing the bridge from the previous high point in the roller-coaster-style road, but that's why I paid extra for the Good Sam version of the GPS.

In short, even those units aren't reliable.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Tennessee
THOR #6584
I have heard of several others who have had similar experiences with the various RV GPS units. That is why I use multiple RV Trip planners as well as the Garmin.
One thing that did happen to me was when the Garmin routed us down a dirt road. That was when I noticed that the vehicle was still set to my Jeep rather than the RV. The GPS will route you based on what vehicle is selected.