Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
San Francisco advice

Going to be out in San Fran area later this year and would like to see some of the sights but would rather not drive the RV around. May rent a car or use public transportation, maybe a tour. Looking for advice and ideas.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
RV parks are pretty scarce in the City. There's one down by the baseball stadium, but I've never stayed at it. Another one is in Pacifica, but it's basically a highly over-priced parking lot. You'd need a car to get into the City. And there's a KOA in Petaluma, which is just north of the City. Again, you'd need a car. However, once you're in the City public transportation is pretty good.

A great place to look at RV parks is the RV Park Reviews website.

It's a great place to visit, but not real RV-friendly.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
RV parks are pretty scarce in the City. There's one down by the baseball stadium, but I've never stayed at it. Another one is in Pacifica, but it's basically a highly over-priced parking lot. You'd need a car to get into the City. And there's a KOA in Petaluma, which is just north of the City. Again, you'd need a car. However, once you're in the City public transportation is pretty good.

A great place to look at RV parks is the RV Park Reviews website.

It's a great place to visit, but not real RV-friendly.
Yea I am looking at Petaluma. Doesn't look like its to far out and rental car is for sure. Thank You
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Consider East Bay?

If you're willing to consider the East Bay, take a look at Pleasanton. The RV park at the fairgrounds is spartan at best, but it is convenient and close to lots of highways, freeways, BART, buses, etc.

The Fairpark RV – At Alameda County Fairgrounds in the sunny Tri-Valley Wine Country
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I was in San Francisco over the New Year's holiday and stayed at the Marin RV Park. Rented a car from Enterprise and it was a short hop (about 10 miles) over the Golden Gate Bridge to SF. Not the best park I've ever stayed in, but better than most in SF from what I read.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When we were visiting San Fran a couple years ago we stayed in a really nice CG in Novato. Don't have the information in front of me but you should be able to google it. Short drive down Rt. 101 to catch ferry across to city. CG even had all the schedules and information we needed for public transportation inside and outside of the city.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There are no RV Campgrounds right in San Francisco. I think the closest one is at Candlestick Park. They do offer a shuttle to downtown San Francisco.

My favorite is out in Half Moon Bay. The latter is on the beach at the site of the Maverick's Surf Championship. The issue with this one is that it is first come, first serve.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:25 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We stayed in Petaluma when we visited there. They had a very reasonable tour from the KOA that lasted all day and hit all the key areas we wanted to see. Walked on the Golden Gate, ate on the Pier at Bubba Gumps, saw the crooked street, china town, and much more. Had a great time.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I think you can catch a train from Petaluma to the ferry into San Francisco. It leaves from Santa Rosa or somewhere just north of there. Might save fighting a car in the city. Between cable cars, trollys, buses, subway, and trains getting around is pretty easy. I have had people walking make better time than I did in a car down around the piers. Parking is expensive where available but its worth the time.