Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Ontario
THOR #440
Sarnia On to Tucson

We are taking our fifth wheel to Tucson in Jan from Sarnia and we are looking for the best driving route (roads and weather) and suggestions for where to stay.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #1457
Lazy Days KOA is excellent.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Are you taking a leisurely drive or going all out to get there? (Depending on if you've been down this route before or not?)
If you are taking your time, and wish to sight see along the way: You could take I-94 all the way over to Chicago and then retrace Route 66 from Chicago to Flagstaff AZ then take I-17 south to Tuscon. It may not be the most direct route but there are many stops along the way tracing Route 66 which can be quite fun.
(Its basically: I-55 to I-44 to I-40.)
Last summer we covered a small bit of Route 66 from Chicago to St. Louis. I think that was the most entertaining piece of the trip LOL
An example from our trip:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...0519/tpod.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Ontario
THOR #440
Tucson

Unfortunately our plans have changed and we can't leave until Feb. 2 so we are going to heading straight to Tucson. I want to get south asap so I think we will go 69-70-55-30-20-10. Are there any problems anyone can see with this route. The idea is to miss as much cold weather asap. We are also hoping to stay at Flying J/Pilot or Camping Worlds on the way there. I hope we can come home at a more leisurely pace.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For the top of your route you could also go: 94, 75, US 24 (Toledo -> Indianapolis) and pick up 69 there. That may save a few miles off of the roundabout route 69 takes through Michigan.
On our way back from the same St. Louis trip we took 70, 69, US 24, 75. That stretch of US 24 between Toledo and Indianapolis is the same as an interstate: Divided highway with two lanes in each direction. It also seemed to have less traffic on it than an interstate (thus a bit more of a pleasant drive).

When I'm playing around with a route that I haven't driven before I often load up Google Earth and let it drive me down the route. It gives you a good idea of what to expect.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote