Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Winter Camping Normandy Farms MA

I know it isn’t Winter yet however, we just returned from camping in Eastern MA this Veterans Day weekend. The day we arrived we were notified by email from the campground that due to the extreme cold temperatures the water at each site would be shut off. They had water locations to fill up, or BYOW or they would refund your visit, no penalty fees. We decided to give it a go.
As expected when we arrived a truck was making rounds to blow out water lines. We filled out fresh water tank at home so we had 50 Gal going in.
Ok so what of the temps... I’m getting to that . The first night was 19F with 30 MPH winds, windchill in the (-) digits. The furnace, set on 68F cycled every 6 minutes. Most of the air leaks are in back of the front sofa on the 30.2, I suspect the outside TV compartment has something to do with that. You couldn’t sit on the sofa as the wind and cold would blow thru the coach. With the tank heaters on and the water pump on we hunkered down to see what catastrophes would arise. Nothing.
The second and third days saw 32F - 37F with night temps in the low 20s. Again no issues. We used 1/3 of a tank of propane in 3 days as the furnace ran 80% of the day and night. We used 35 gal of water and when leaving this AM our grey water valve was frozen shut. We ran hot water into the grey tank until it was full and that was enough to thaw the valve to allow for some flow. As it drained the valve fully thawed and it worked as normal. Black tank, no issues.
We did get some ice forming above the front windshield where the glass meets the fiberglass. Once the curtains were opened we noted over time drips of water on the dash, center, left and right corners that’s how we discovered the ice. We put some towels across the dash to catch the drips and that was that. The curtains do a reasonable job of keeping the cold one the glass side of the curtain. A word of caution, don’t reach up and feel the glass/ fiberglass junction. It is uncoated fiberglass and the splinters will stick your fingers like needles. No, I didn’t but looking up to see the ice I’ve encountered that before.
Knowing what I know and having “ been there done that” I don’t think I would venture into these temps again. But it’s good to know that my coach can withstand extreme cold and have virtually no issues.
Thanks Thor.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Georgia
THOR #7779
Thank you for the update .