Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Snowbirds

Ok Snowbirds check in and let us now where you’re going and the route you’re planning to take.

See you in the sunshine!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

Brand: Jayco
Model: Entegra Vision 31V
State: Florida
THOR #12040
First time

This will be the first time for our trip south in the new Vegas. Leaving from south central Michigan through Indianapolis, Nashville, Atlanta to central Florida.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:15 AM   #3

THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFoust View Post
This will be the first time for our trip south in the new Vegas. Leaving from south central Michigan through Indianapolis, Nashville, Atlanta to central Florida.
Hi DLFoust, Might I suggest staying on 65 down to Montgomery Alabama then east on US 80 to US 231 south then US82 east to I75 at Tifton Georgia allowing you to miss Atlanta and see a few miles of some great rural southern countryside. We took this route home last spring and really enjoyed it. It’s mostly 2 and 4 lane roads with very light traffic.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #4

Brand: Jayco
Model: Entegra Vision 31V
THOR #12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
Hi DLFoust, Might I suggest staying on 65 down to Montgomery Alabama then east on US 80 to US 231 south then US82 east to I75 at Tifton Georgia allowing you to miss Atlanta and see a few miles of some great rural southern countryside. We took this route home last spring and really enjoyed it. It’s mostly 2 and 4 lane roads with very light traffic.
That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll try it this year. I HATE the thought of driving through Atlanta. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #5

THOR #13168
Your welcome. I don’t know your timing but we stayed in a campground right at the Alabama and Georgia state line in Eufaula AL. It’s called Lake Eufaula Campground. Not much to look at but reasonable price and was about 8 hours from where we were camped near Davenport.
Lake Eufaula campground phone number is 334-687-4425.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Looking for a route south --from north of Seattle... I always take the I-5. Looking at Portland, OR HWY 84 over to the HWY 395 and THEN south. Final destination Palm Springs CA.
I am planning a October 30 departure so I wonder if anyone has comments on the weather I might find on the higher points of my trip? I would hold up rather than travel on snow. Better I stick to the I-5? Nancy
Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

THOR #13168
Sorry Nancy I’m not familiar with the northwest but hopefully someone will chine in to help you out real quick.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
395 is a great MH road. very scenic and no traffic jams like I-5 has. Most of it is higher elevation. I would check on the weather, Especially Oregon and northern CA. If the weather is stable go for it! Much nicer than I-5.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Looking for a route south --from north of Seattle... Nancy
Nancy,

If you are coming from north of Seattle 395 is way out of your way.I personally would take I-5 to I-90, east to I-82, south east to 97 and south through Washington and Oregon. 97 joins I-5 again around Mt. Shasta. You will miss Portland all together and have a nice road on the east side of the mountain range. We took 395 south of Spokane this year and brought 97 into California. It was a nice trip. Stayed at a Camp Ground north of Klamath Falls. You may also want to check on I-5 south of Sacramento. 99 may be a better rt. I'll try to keep an eye on the conditions of i-5 south of Sac. We live just 30 miles north of there.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

THOR #5922
Hi Mountainsam, my worry about I-90 was the Snoqualmie Pass and so thought to go inland a bit further south. Hopefully, I am traveling before real "winter weather" sets in so your route looks good. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Hi Mountainsam, my worry about I-90 was the Snoqualmie Pass and so thought to go inland a bit further south. Hopefully, I am traveling before real "winter weather" sets in so your route looks good. Thanks
You shouldn't have any sticking snow issues on Snoqualmie Pass that first week of November. We live in Wenatchee (Central WA), so travel that pass all the time. The mountain pass will eat more fuel & slow you some also. 84 from Portland heading east is flat and you should have a tail wind to help fuel economy also.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

THOR #5922
Thanks 99dart, I am still looking at my route-- your experience (re the pass in early November) is very helpful to know! I did see that HWY 84 runs along the river so I hoped that = lower elevation and moderate conditions;-)
Having looked at tire reviews for my Gemini OEM tires, I've read someone had difficulty on wet grass.... I sure don't want to test the tires on snow. At the moment, I am looking at crossing to HWY 395 around Eugene. Nancy
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

THOR #13168
East Michigan to Florida

We live near Port Huron MI and I usually don't decide if we take I75 our I65 south until a few days before we leave. My deciding factors are weather and timing going thru Atlanta.
I69 is really rough from Pt. Huron to Flint as is I75 south of Detroit to Ohio. Because of this I get to US23 and take it to Maumee Ohio then if I'm taking 65 I'll head over to Fort Wayne Indiana to 65 down to US 82 near Montgomery Alabama. Or simply catch I75 in Maumee.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I have a question: How far South; is "South enough"?
Do you look to escape all chances of cold weather. (Whatever that means!); or do you use your Winter location as a place from which to head out on other trips?

We're eventually hoping to retire to North Carolina; if that's far enough away from Old Man Winter's icy grasp!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #15

THOR #7205
Quote:
Thanks 99dart, I am still looking at my route-- your experience (re the pass in early November) is very helpful to know! I did see that HWY 84 runs along the river so I hoped that = lower elevation and moderate conditions;-)
Having looked at tire reviews for my Gemini OEM tires, I've read someone had difficulty on wet grass.... I sure don't want to test the tires on snow. At the moment, I am looking at crossing to HWY 395 around Eugene. Nancy
Yes, 84 follows the Columbia river. Usually the only place to be wary of snow is near the town of Hood River. (we have kids in Portland & Klamath Falls, OR, so travel Oregon a lot) Taking 58 will be crossing another mountain pass, thus risking the chance of snow. That said, you can consult wsdot & odot websites for up to the minute road conditions.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/

https://tripcheck.com/
Old 10-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you look to escape all chances of cold weather. (Whatever that means!); or do you use your Winter location as a place from which to head out on other trips?

We're eventually hoping to retire to North Carolina; if that's far enough away from Old Man Winter's icy grasp!
Check the monthly weather conditions for places you would consider wintering. If you like 40 degree temps overnight look for that. My wife & I will be venturing out for the first time this January.We plan on ending up around the Palm Springs, CA & Phoenix,AZ areas. Warmer!
Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Be aware, Lake Eaufala is infested with alligators. If you camp near the water with small dogs...it's their favorite meal!! People feed them so now they come right up to you. They're even hanging around the boat ramps at Lakeview State Park. Locals go there and feed them. All chain lakes and rivers south of there are the same way.

Also...if you see a "body of water" in Florida...it most likely has alligators in it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Aha! A good supply of "boots & belts".
Old 10-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #19

THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

LOL That’s a good question Bob! A few years back we were camped at Pine Island near Ft. Myers FL and the weather guy said there were frost warnings as far south as Charlotte County. I grabbed a map to find out wher Charlotte County was. Well it was about 20 miles north of me and I thought to myself “far enough”. Last year we stayed primarily around Orlando and had beautiful weather all winter except one morning I did see frost on some roofs so I thought we needed to go farther south! Ya just never know! But then again we enjoy the beaches and pools.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you had to go a whole lot further South: you'd be shopping for outboard motor mounts that would bolt to your trailer hitch!