Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31Z
State: New Jersey
THOR #14101
!st stop : VA

SO after what seems like forever, my home is sold, and my RV is now my new domicile!! YAY

Getting on the road Tuesday, barring any MAJOR issues. 1st Stop is going to be VA, any places to COMPLETELY avoid??? I will be in the VA Beach & Chesapeake area to start......

Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

State: Michigan
THOR #3589
Chesapeake

when I was a kid we lived in Maryland and my dad would take us water sking in the chesepeake bay,if I remember right the JellyFish would be coming in about this time of the year,be carefull they sting like the dikins
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Jellyfish? I live in Newport News and no one is talking about jellyfish on the beach or bay. No algae blooms or beach closures due to pollution at the moment also. The area isn't too bad but we do call it the Redneck Riviera. Tourist season starts next Friday and so have the pet restrictions on the beach.

No place I would avoid. Maybe downtown Norfolk or the beach strip while driving the coach. It can get busy and the roads are not as wide as you might like. The stirp has the usually beach stuff. Tee shirt and salt water taffy shops. Some good restaurants also.

All the tunnels around here have propane restrictions that require you to stop at the inspection station so they can verify the main valve is closed at the tank. Don't forget to stop as they will stop tunnel traffic and pull you out. Traffic times are 6-8AM and 4-6PM. Not as bad as say DC but it can add an hour to you drive with the tunnel bottlenecks. And you coach will fit height wise thru them all.

Campsites for next weekend are nearly impossible so I hope you have someplace to stay lined up.

And the mosquitoes population is growing so be prepared. They come out at sunset.

Have fun.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 31Z
State: New Jersey
THOR #14101
Was wondering more about camp sites to avoid. I don't plan on driving the coach anywhere near the beach area. LOL

Also, going to take the scenic route and avoid the bay bridge tunnel all together. I have traveled that so many times, no need to tempt fate. LOL

I don't have a place lined up to stay, because the dates kept changing, so I guess I am going to wing it........
Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Can't help with what to avoid, but congrats on making the move to the mobile lifestyle! (You're making a bunch of foks green with envy!)