Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 Chateau 28Z
State: Arizona
THOR #3071
Survey: GPS systems

Hi, as I am new to the rv world, and lovin it, I am preparing for a cross country trip in the late spring. I am not sure where to begin to map a route, but I really want to invest in a RV GPS system, not sure which one would be the best? Can you please tell me, which one you like and the pros and cons of it? Is it easy to hook up? etc. Anything would help.

Am also interested in any "materials" that you feel are a MUST HAVE. Maps, Books, etc.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
We have a Garmin and it does an OK job - only thing is it does not know we are driving a 35 foot RV with a car in tow and leads us down some pretty narrow roads at times.

I look at the road first prior to turning and simply let the system reroute till I get to a road I feel is wide enough!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
I use a Garmin 720RV GPS, stores your RV data (size, height, weight, etc), has good database with POI and lifetime free map updates. My 2 cents.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We usually use a tablet and related apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps, etc.). In addition I have iExit, KOA, myPilot, and Camping World apps installed.
(I find the iExit app really useful--no affiliation; just a happy user.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I like the Garmin RV760LMT

Click image for larger version

Name:	TireMinder.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	978

7" screen
Trip planner
Responds to limited voice commands

You can configure to your RV and also use it in automobile mode.

I prefer a dedicated GPS unit as the satellite reception is better. I occasionally use a cell phone app in my car and it frequently loses the satellites generally when I need it most.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Life View Post
Can you please tell me, which one you like and the pros and cons of it? Is it easy to hook up? etc.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I have an older Garmin and like it. 7" screen makes it easy to see and read. Find it very useful while traveling interstates as it shows which lanes to be in for exiting, etc.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I also have a Garmin760LMT with the Backup Camera. I have only used it on one trip and it tried to send me the wrong direction on I10 in the California Desert. I knew I wanted to go west so I ignored the instructions to turn right that would have taken me East. The backup Camera is powered with the License light so that I can see the boat or toad when I am underway. It is also a perfect addition to the stock backup camera that is more to keep you from hitting things rather than truly backing up. After you get the Garmin Backup Camera dialed in, you have lines that represent RV clearance.
Good Luck and Safe Travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have a Rand McNally RV GPS. I don't remember the model number right off hand. The thing I like is that you can tell it what yo have and how long it is and it will route you accordingly. Even takes into account for low clearance. I told it the length of our MH and that I have a toad and the length of each.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #9

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Me too on the Garmin 760.

Great unit, and my 4th Garmin. I've not tried any other brands, 'cause there's no reason to.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Rand McNally RVND 7730.

Works great for my RV and situation.

One issue during my last trip was the screaming RV Overweight violation on one road. The weight restriction was 5 miles further up the road than where I was turning. The GPS knew their was a weight restriction on the road it just didn't know exactly where.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I have the Garmin RV 760 w/backup camera. The camera is a must have and the GPS is very good at getting and keeping a sat lock but you do have to review the route and do not turn on avoid U turns. I just got back from an 8000 mile western tour and on several occasions the unit send me on a 4 or 5 mile square because it did not know I was in a truck stop parking lot and I had avoid U turns on. I finally figured out what it was doing and turned the U turn off and everything went fine after that.
I would suggest a nonslip sand bag dash mount for it in the RV. It can be hard to reach when mounted on the windshield and the bag mount lets you just pick it up and put it on the floor to hide it. Mine has the lifetime traffic but I found that to be fairly useless as it cannot connect to a transmitter anywhere but in large cities and I avoid large down town areas in the RV.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Garmin 760 is great and has a good support system with users, specific to the 760 for RV's.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
For navigation we prefer my iPad Mini and Google Maps. My regular Garmin (non RV specific) has gone unused for a few years.

I like the portability of the iPad Mini a lot. Can research routes just about anywhere at any time.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Garmin 760LMT.

I have mine on a RAM mount, which is semi-secure vs. just putting it on the dash or suction cup to the windshield.

The RAM mount consists of a housing (with shade shroud):

An arm:

Ball ends:

And a locking knob:

It's kind of an expensive mount solution - around $75 after you buy all of the components, but it won't fall off the dash. If you don't need the locking know, then it's about $25 less.

Other RV specific GPS units include the Rand McNally 77xx, Magellan RV9165, and the Tom Tom VIA 1605... at least a year or two ago when I last researched it. They may no longer be available, or perhaps replaced with newer models.

All but the Tom Tom I think are 7" screens, with the Tom Tom being a 6" screen.

Not sure if one is better than any of the others, but I went with the Garmin due to it's many features (OBDC data, wired/wireless camera, smartphone/smartlink interface for traffic cams, weather map, lifetime maps and traffic info, base camp, available RAM mount, etc).
Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #15

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
No GPS is 100% accurate. But the map maker reads the Garmin 760LMT discussion group and corrects issues as they are discovered by users. The support group is enough for me to purchase this unit. If you get it, yell and I'll tell you how to subscribe to the group. It is similar to this group; ask a question and others will chime in and help answer or take care of your issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
No GPS is 100% accurate.
Like anything else, you have to use a bit of your own judgement when using it.

My 760 has tried to on occasion send me the wrong way, and even down dirt roads... mostly in areas that are not well populated - i.e. out in the sticks...

which is precisely why you want a GPS to begin with.

At any rate, the advantages of the GPS for me outweigh its idiosyncrasy's.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #17

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I purchased a Garmin nuviCam LMTHD for my Vegas. It has a large 6" screen and I have it sitting on the dash above the steering wheel. I have always been a big fan of Garmin products. My day use auto has the Garmin 349LMT. Yes, with the RV, I could use my iPhone. But I normally have my iPhone playing audiobooks. So I prefer a separate device for my GPS. I also like having the camera on the nuviCam constantly recording. Every night I can copy interesting drives to my laptop (e.g. the drive through the Yosemite Valley). The other advantage of the nuviCam is the lane departure warning feature; indispensable for a wide rig.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #18

Model: 2013 Chateau 28Z
State: Arizona
THOR #3071
GPS Survey

You Guys/Gals, ROCK! I want a dedicated GPS navigation system so I have decided to go with the Garmin 760LMT. Love that it has RV specific information, as well as, a 7” screen, limited voice commands, free lifetime map updates, POI, Weather info, lane/exit info. Traffic updates ( which I would have to turn on my “hotspot” on my phone for connection) and the Support Group, which I am interested in.

As for my backups, I will also have with me my KOA, Nat’l and State Parks, Atlas, Road Trip USA and Next Exit books.

I will be updating my iPhone to a larger screen, iPad with apps, iPod. I like my tunes on a dedicated iPod so I don’t interfere with anything on my phone/pad. Apps: Sani-dump, Goggle Maps, GS camping, RV parks, GasBuddy, Camp & Rv, KOA, RoadTrip. Will look into iExit.

I have read somewhere that 28 states do not allow “window” mount GPS holders. Doesn’t mean anything to me because my arms wouldn’t reach anyway!

Also, my RV already has a backup camera. Do I need to get one with an additional camera and what benefit will that do for me? Is it easy to install? I sometimes drive with the backup camera on, just because.

I do not know how to do the "Quote" thing.
FW28Z "I have mine on a RAM mount, which is semi-secure vs. just putting it on the dash or suction cup to the windshield."

Since I have the same RV, I would like to mount it with the RAM. I have looked on Amazon for the parts, but am not sure which part numbers or how they connect. Can you please enlighten me?

Thank you All So Very Much!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #19

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
Lovin Life, you can also add bridge clearances to the Garmin 760LMT

go to Low Clearance POI - GPS Data
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
For the cradle:

RAM-HOL-GA61U (fully enclosed cradle).
or
RAM-HOL-GA54U ("shorty" cradle).

Then, one each of the following:

RAM-B-238 - "diamond" ball (mounts to the cradle - do not substitute this one).
RAM-B-202U - ball (mounts to the console).
RAM-B-201U - 6" long double arm for 1" ball.
RAM-KNOB3LU - Locking know for B size arms.

These are the parts I used. Note that the RAM-B-201U is a longer arm than the typical one, and necessary if you want to screw the lower mount into the console tray (the standard arm is too short).

You can use other parts instead. For example, you could use a different ball than the RAM-B-202U, or a longer/shorter arm than the RAM-B-201U. Also, the locking knob is optional.

If you substitute the lower mounting ball, make sure you buy 1" balls as RAM makes a bunch of different sizes.

Don't substitute the upper "diamond" ball (RAM-B-238), as it needs to be that shape to mount to the backside of the cradle.

Ram Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions

This page shows some mount base options. There is also a nice video at the bottom of the screen showing how the cradle fits:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA61LU