Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
SW Michigan to North Carolina?

We are planning a late spring (April) trip from southwest Michigan to North Carolina/Outer Banks/Emerald Isle areas. Looking for suggestions about which route to take (so far friends/family are suggesting US 77 for most of the journey). Wondering if anyone could share their experience driving this route across the Appalachians in late spring, or suggest an alternate route?

We also want this trip to be about the journey, not just the destination (the ocean). We are retired, and finally able to take as much time as we want/need, and are looking for suggestions for things to do along the way....

We also recently joined HarvestHost, and are hoping to spend a few nights at one of their sites along the way (“free” camping + wine = brilliant idea!). Wondering if anyone has recommendations?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #2

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Michigan to North Carolina

We travelled from Kingston Ontario to the OBX and took I-81 to Winchester VA and then to Fredericksburg VA and then caught US 17 which takes you off through some great country and then to Virginia Beach and on the OBX via 17 south. Great drive on 17
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
or I75 from Toledo all the way to Knoxville
I40 thru the Smokies and Asheville across NC to Raleigh
64 to the 'banks'...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Route to the OBX

We went in the first week of April and returned the first of May. Weather was cool to begin with but when we got to Virginia Beach it was mid 60`s
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
We went in the first week of April and returned the first of May. Weather was cool to begin with but when we got to Virginia Beach it was mid 60`s
LOL! Mid 60’s sounds great to us, Coveman2! It was -4 degrees here this morning!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
We did the OBX trip a few years ago (Detroit area to OBX) but we split it by going to DC first and then on to OBX.

In addition, since we're not retired, we did the interstates all the way...so I guess I'm not much help. LOL

OBX is really cool!

If you're looking for a place to stay try Camp Hatteras. You can even get a site about 30 ft from the beach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
If you make your way to I-79, head south to I-68 in West Virginia that will take you to Route 522 at Hancock, Maryland. Head south on 522 (nice drive) to Route 37 south at Winchester, Virginia (may want to stop at the Virginia Farmers Market). Route 37 is a short drive to I-81 and then another short drive to I-66 East. Then take Route 17 South and as mentioned previously, that’s very nice drive to Tappahannock. That will get you to I-64 at Newport News, head East and watch for the signs for the Outer Banks. You may have to stop to have your rig checked for propane leaks before entering Chesapeake tunnels.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #8

THOR #11426
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations...lots to consider. Good way to spend the winter, though...
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #9

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Having made a few trips from southern WV to the Detroit area, I've travelled I-77 I-80/90 a few times. I prefer to take the route from I-75 to I-280, then Ohio 420 to US 23/Ohio199 south to Columbus. You go through a few small towns, but that's my preferred way to travel. I-80/90 is ok, but there is a lot of traffic. 77 south isn't to bad once you're south of the Akron/Canton area. You start running into hills south of the 77/70 interchange. The hills aren't too bad, the worst is Flat Top mountain south of Beckley. It's not too bad if you are paying attention. Further south is Fancy Gap just north of the North Carolina/ Virginia border, not too steep, but can get extremely foggy at times. Be aware that tolls on the W Va turnpike just went up, $5.00 for a class 3 vehicle (motorhome not towing) $6.50 for a class 4 vehicle (motorhome towing a trailer or toad.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #10

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
Having made a few trips from southern WV to the Detroit area, I've travelled I-77 I-80/90 a few times. I prefer to take the route from I-75 to I-280, then Ohio 420 to US 23/Ohio199 south to Columbus. You go through a few small towns, but that's my preferred way to travel. I-80/90 is ok, but there is a lot of traffic. 77 south isn't to bad once you're south of the Akron/Canton area. You start running into hills south of the 77/70 interchange. The hills aren't too bad, the worst is Flat Top mountain south of Beckley. It's not too bad if you are paying attention. Further south is Fancy Gap just north of the North Carolina/ Virginia border, not too steep, but can get extremely foggy at times. Be aware that tolls on the W Va turnpike just went up, $5.00 for a class 3 vehicle (motorhome not towing) $6.50 for a class 4 vehicle (motorhome towing a trailer or toad.
Thanks, Mitch S! Very helpful!