Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Travelling thru Washington

Hello travelers,

My wife and I are planning our trip to Colorado and back to California. We are spending a week in Estes Park and then heading up toward the NW going through Dubois WY and heading for Spokane. At that point I am a bit confused which way to head. We will not be spending any more than a night anywhere in Washington so rather than head to Seattle (where DW really whats to see) I am thinking it's not worth it to hit Seattle for a night. I would prefer to head down 5 toward Portland stopping somewhere around Mt. St Helen.

Our son has purchased some acreage near Portland so we will be heading up that way later in the fall at which time DW can spend all the time she wants in Seattle.

If I could get some recommendations from folks in Washington and Oregon I would be most greatful. Or anyone else for that matter.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Hello travelers,

My wife and I are planning our trip to Colorado and back to California. We are spending a week in Estes Park and then heading up toward the NW going through Dubois WY and heading for Spokane. At that point I am a bit confused which way to head. We will not be spending any more than a night anywhere in Washington so rather than head to Seattle (where DW really whats to see) I am thinking it's not worth it to hit Seattle for a night. I would prefer to head down 5 toward Portland stopping somewhere around Mt. St Helen.

Our son has purchased some acreage near Portland so we will be heading up that way later in the fall at which time DW can spend all the time she wants in Seattle.

If I could get some recommendations from folks in Washington and Oregon I would be most greatful. Or anyone else for that matter.
Are you just looking for the quickest way to get through the state? If so and you are coming through Spokane, then you just want to take I90 to Ritzville head south to the Tri-cities and jump on I84 and take that along the Oregon side of the Columbia River. It’s about a 6hr drive from Spokane to Portland. Mt St Helens is cool to see but kind out of the way. I wouldn’t waste your time of going to Seattle if you are just trying to get to Portland. Depending on traffic taking I5 could add a couple hours to your drive
Old 06-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Well, depending on how long you want to take there are more scenic ways thru WA. If you have a day to spare, you could take highway #2 west from Spokane to Coulee City. Turn south on hwy 17 to see Dry Falls and camp along the stretch between Coulee City & Moses Lake. There is some pretty country through there, Banks Lake, Basalt bluffs and good fishing in lakes along the hwy.
If you plan to camp along the Columbia river on I-84, let this be a warning to the numerous freight trains working at night.They are loud and blow their horns , A LOT!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Don’t even think of driving an RV in Seattle. The interstate is I5, and the fastest you will go is 5! If you get off I5, the streets are all narrow and the hills will make you wonder why you got off the interstate. If you want to see Seattle, do it in a car..P.S., my daughter lives there so I speak from experience!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmac View Post
Don’t even think of driving an RV in Seattle. The interstate is I5, and the fastest you will go is 5! If you get off I5, the streets are all narrow and the hills will make you wonder why you got off the interstate. If you want to see Seattle, do it in a car..P.S., my daughter lives there so I speak from experience!
As BAD as Seattle is... I hate Portland! One of our kids/family live near Beaverton. It's a total pain navigating in/out of there. Nearly had collisions twice in our MH!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #6

THOR #6701
Thanks Elite, Dart and Ronmac,

Actually we are taking a scenic route as much as possible. Decided to take 7 days to get home from Colorado to Sacramento area. Since neither myself or my wife have ever spent time seeing Washington or Oregon we decided to check it out for a future extended trip in the fall. In the early 70's I drove semi through Washington and Oregon but just saw enough to make me want to come back. Now that our son has some land up near Portland it will give us a home base for some serious exploring later.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
If you plan to camp along the Columbia river on I-84, let this be a warning to the numerous freight trains working at night.They are loud and blow their horns , A LOT!
If you head south to the Tri-Cities catch I-82 and cross over into Oregon @ Umatilla... 1st exit (hwy 730. Turn right and immediate right at the next light, then follow to the "T" , left 1/4 mile and right into the Umatilla City RV park and Marina...VERY clean & pretty quiet (barely hear any train horns) and $30 to $35 a night..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
As a former resident of Spokane, US 2 is a great drive across the state. The channeled scablands are fascinating, lots to see from a geologic standpoint. While there, check out Steptoe Butte and the Palouse. SR 20, N Cascades Highway is another great drive. Loads of waterfalls and forested scenery. As others have said the drive down the Columbia River is also nice. Whatever you do, avoid the Seattle and Portland metro areas.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #9

THOR #6701
We are currently in Estes Park CO and will be heading n/w on Saturday. Still undecided but are thinking of heading south towards tricities area from Spokane, then around MT Hood and then south staying away from Portland area. Thanks for all the suggestions. Had to see a chiropractor today for back problems so hopefully trip will not be cut short.