Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Trip advice wanted

All,

I could use some input. My wife and I are planning to take a two-week trip from Colorado Springs to the Oregon coast and back as our primary vacation this year. I'm still a working stiff, so 2 weeks is about all I can do at once. We're on our second year as motorhome owners and haven't really hit our stride as trip planners yet.

So, a request for help. For those of you who might have done similar trips, would you provide suggestions for:
  • Routes - must do, and should avoid
  • Campgrounds
  • Things to see and do
  • What to pass up
    Best and worst times to go
  • And anything else you can think of.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Randy

Old 01-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
All,

I could use some input. My wife and I are planning to take a two-week trip from Colorado Springs to the Oregon coast and back as our primary vacation this year. I'm still a working stiff, so 2 weeks is about all I can do at once. We're on our second year as motorhome owners and haven't really hit our stride as trip planners yet.

So, a request for help. For those of you who might have done similar trips, would you provide suggestions for:
  • Routes - must do, and should avoid
  • Campgrounds
  • Things to see and do
  • What to pass up
    Best and worst times to go
  • And anything else you can think of.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Randy
The Road of Hard Knocks is a learning route, not to be forgotten. When I plan a trip I figure a 300 mile day! Averaging 50 mph is 6 hour driving time and 7 hours on the road. Averaging 60 mph, you gain an hour. With that in mind, we pick our destination and have time to stop and explore on the way. It gives us time to set up in the daylight and check out the surrounding sights and businesses. It also gives use time to enjoy the journey.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
We did a similar trip last summer. Here's a few ideas:
- Dinosaur Nat'l Monument - border between Colorado and Utah
- Utah Olympic Park - near Park City, Utah
- Montana State Prison Museum and antique car collection (same spot) - Deer Lodge, Montana
- Mt. St. Helens Volcano Observatory
- Oregon Coast Aquarium - Newport, Oregon
- Northern California's redwoods - (I thought they were amazing)

Places we stayed were very hit or miss, though I did enjoy the Sea & Sand RV Park in Depoe Bay, Oregon - some of their spots were right on the ocean and the place was very clean in general.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:14 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
The Road of Hard Knocks is a learning route, not to be forgotten. When I plan a trip I figure a 300 mile day! Averaging 50 mph is 6 hour driving time and 7 hours on the road. Averaging 60 mph, you gain an hour. With that in mind, we pick our destination and have time to stop and explore on the way. It gives us time to set up in the daylight and check out the surrounding sights and businesses. It also gives use time to enjoy the journey.
That's the way we travel, too. 300-350 miles a day, unless we have a stop planned more than an hour. That's a little over half what we would do in the car. Some days we'll stop and walk through an antique store or park.

Some folks are planners, others are wanderers. I am more of a planner, as your post shows you are. Plan a few stops, smell a few roses, leave yourself some slack. Remember, it's the JOURNEY, and not just the DESTINATION!

It's amazing, the people you'll meet and the things you'll see when you slow down, and when you stop and visit with the locals and your fellow campers.

Happy trails!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
It is amazing, the people you meet. When riding my motorcycle, we've made plenty of u-turns because I saw a motorcycle in the driveway. We've stop, introduced ourselves and have made lasting friendships. While stopping at an overlook, we made friends with a lady on a tour bus. She was from Austria, we became pen-pals.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
Trip advice wanted

Road trip in Feb from MA to FL
easiest possible route doesn't have to be the shortest
Any input would be welcomed!
Thanks