Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Camping Near Old Faithful & Route

I am considering a trip to Yellowstone this summer. I am looking for best route, staying away from mountainous, narrow, winding roads as much as possible. My wife gets nervous if the roads get to "scary" for her. Traveling from Iowa with my 36' Miramar pulling a Jeep.

Also, any recommendations on RV parks that can handle my size?

I would appreciate any advice.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I am considering a trip to Yellowstone this summer. I am looking for best route, staying away from mountainous, narrow, winding roads as much as possible. My wife gets nervous if the roads get to "scary" for her. Traveling from Iowa with my 36' Miramar pulling a Jeep.

There are several RV parks in the West Yellowstone area that most likely can handle your rig. Park it at one of these and then buy a week long pass to the park for your Jeep. I wouldn't suggest driving your RV into the park because of parking and traffic. You will love driving around the park with your Jeep but plan on making several trips. If you want cheaper camping, we stayed at the Sawtelle Mountain RV resort in Island Park, ID. We rented a car in West Yellowstone and made about four trips to the park. Amazing place to visit.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
THOR #2678
Quote:

Check out Yellowstone Grizzly Rv Park. Better yet check out this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/PsCO5_XiXu4
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

THOR #4488
Looks like nice park but I'm still wondering about the route from Iowa.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by rving2015 View Post
Check out Yellowstone Grizzly Rv Park. Better yet check out this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/PsCO5_XiXu4
My wife and I stayed at the Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park a couple of years ago. SUPER nice RV park, easy in/out and the staff was really friendly. Unless you are staying inside of Yellowstone Park, you will have a drive to get in to any of the main sites - Old Faithful, Yellowstone Falls, Mammoth Hot Springs, etc. My understanding is that there are only 2 campgrounds in the park that have hookups, and even at that, your rig may be a bit big to get in there. I would check it out before deciding that is what you are going to do. Just an observation from our drive through Yellowstone as we were coming from the Northeast Cooke City entrance and had to venture all the way through the park with the trailer - watch out for other RV drivers coming into your lane as I would think they haven't been driving RVs long. There is basically no shoulder along the road, just road, white line, then ditch.

I would say from IA, take I-90 across to WY. Here's the thing, when you get into WY on I-90, you will have to cross through the Bighorn Mountains on either Hwy 14 or Hwy 16. Both are beautiful and worth the drive, but they are quite the haul.

At the time, we had our 2013 RAM 2500 diesel towing a 27' TT. I didn't have any problems crossing, love the built in exhaust brake, but it is definitely a hilly, winding road. We were camped in Cody, WY and the guy pulled in next to us with a huge MH and a Jeep. He was pretty upset from his drive across 16. Turns out he is from the flat lands in TX and had never been through the mountains. I was from WA state and grew up crossing mountain passes, so I didn't think it was a big deal. The road was plenty wide, take it slow when you need to, gear down going down the hills.

The mandatory brake check point at the top is a good reminder to slowing down and I'd say if you follow it, you won't have any problems. The beauty of the drive is worth taking the mountain route.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #6

THOR #4488
I am considering taking I-90 all the way across to Livingston, Wyoming and then Hwy 89 south towards Gardner. My research shows several campgrounds on that stretch of highway without getting into the mountains with the RV. I will then take the Jeep on day trips to visit the sights.

From my research this will allow me to get there with my wife still having her sanity.

If anyone has any other thoughts on this please let me know.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Quote:
I am considering taking I-90 all the way across to Livingston, Wyoming and then Hwy 89 south towards Gardner. My research shows several campgrounds on that stretch of highway without getting into the mountains with the RV. I will then take the Jeep on day trips to visit the sights.

From my research this will allow me to get there with my wife still having her sanity.

If anyone has any other thoughts on this please let me know.
Gardiner is a neat little town and that entrance is the iconic Roosevelt arch entrance to Yellowstone. Pretty cool. It's also where you cross the divide coming into the park.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
We stayed in Fishing Bridge Campground inside the park but I am afraid if you are talking about staying this year you are probably too late to get reservations
Old 04-13-2018, 02:39 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane34F
State: Texas
THOR #7086
I would take I 80 to Rawlins then the 287 to the 26 you will go thru the Towogetee Pass which you will find to be beautiful and a good pull up the grade but I had no problems with my 36 foot Hurricane pulling my jeep .
We stayed in the Tetons at Coulter Bay as our base camp and drove our jeep into Yellowstone south entrance daily. Good luck and happy travels
Old 04-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #10

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
i am going to yellowstone this june, you better hurry, everything inside is sold out, and most park on the outside and close to the park are going to sold out very soon.

been told that driving in the park is slow going, and that night driving can be hazardous due to large animals in the roads, i am told bison are hard to see at night and hitting one is like running into a bulldozer.