Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm pretty sure that he was just pullin' your leg a little bit...
Relax: you've turned this topic every which way... the silliness just had to come out eventually!
Thank you Bob. Yes I probably misunderstood and my love for her overwhelmed me. I have watched my wife deteriorate over the past few years and I fear that with family history I may not have her for much longer. The fact the grandchildren are in Virginia is the only reason I am continue responding. I guess I should just let the subject go on this forum and focus my efforts elsewhere. This forum thread has been very illuminating as to what I can expect in working to get Virginia more understanding.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #82
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Watching this kind of thing happen is ALL of our worst nightmares.
I'm really sorry that this has happened to her (and you), and the Missus and I will keep you in our prayers.
For what it's worth: I had a friend "get the long face", from his Doctor, and it was already in the end stages...
He vowed to leave nothing on the table.
For six years: He rode ATVs, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. (He even restored a couple of old Sno-Jets along the way.) He and his Lovely Bride hosted family dinners every week, and he watched his grandkids grow up.

Don't leave anything on the table!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #83

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Threads are like dumping a full, black tank...for the first few pages, all the good stuff runs through pretty smoothly and quick. Once it reaches 5+ pages, the good stuff goes away and nothing but little pieces of corn and crap slowly dribble through. That's when you just shut the valve, go back inside and wash your hands of it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 10-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #84
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1571834656
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EWWWwwwwwwww.....jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	21026  
Old 10-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #85

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Threads are like dumping a full, black tank...for the first few pages, all the good stuff runs through pretty smoothly and quick. Once it reaches 5+ pages, the good stuff goes away and nothing but little pieces of corn and crap slowly dribble through. That's when you just shut the valve, go back inside and wash your hands of it.
Oh my...
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Old 10-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #86
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Oh my...

Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #87

State: California
THOR #6993
Pretty clear this guy hasn’t done his homework. I was busy most of yesterday and took 30 seconds this morning to look up the topic. Obviously none of us were there to view the terrain so we’ll never know but copied below is a paragraph from the link attached and pretty much spells it out. The part that says certain other similar devices is key. Maybe you chose the wrong device. I suggest you get on with life. Good day sir.

Effective March 15, 2011, the trails were opened to wheelchairs, including manual and power wheelchairs, personal mobility assistive scooters and certain other similar devices designed primarily to assist people with disabilities. Users are encouraged to use caution when selecting trails, as many were designed for foot traffic only. Terrain might make them unsuitable for personal mobility devices.

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/accessibility
Old 10-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #88

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I've stayed out of this, but it's time to chime in

Because of my DH's disability, we have taken our Cricket and his self folding electric scooter with us around the country. We have been only stopped once (in the Keys) when an officer wanted to know what my "golf cart" was doing on his sidewalk. I think calm and understanding goes a long way to helping end misconceptions. First, the Cricket is NOT a golf cart. Like other Personal Mobility Devices, the Cricket has no brake pedal. That is a critical distinction for Personal Mobility Devices--pushing a lever, handle, or pedal makes it go, releasing makes it stop (sometimes abruptly). The Cricket's maximum speed going downhill empty is 10mph--my DH's electric scooter goes faster than that (as do manual and electric bikes which pass us with regularity). Because the Cricket was designed to look like a golf cart (though it is only as wide as a double stroller) it may be mistaken for one, but a calm and respectful interaction provides the opportunity to point out the differences. But over all, common sense should rule-- use sidewalks if they are present. Don't use on crowded sidewalks or streets (that's why we also have our scooter which folds itself up with the press of a button), and practice speed control.

We don't use on non-paved/graveled, or otherwise handicap accessible "trails/pathways". So no, it did not go below the rim of the Grand Canyon, though it did do the Rim Walk!
Over the years our Cricket has been a conversation starter and allows us to share our story about the ways these devices bring independence and support a more abled lifestyle, all within a framework of humor (it's going to be a John Deere when it grows up) and compassion.

Our Cricket has been used in National and State Parks, towns, and campgrounds all over the United States. We use caution, ask permission even when legally no permission is necessary, and have had a great time exploring our country. I'm sorry you had issues when in Virginia, and am hoping that it only reflects a few overtired, overworked park employees who just didn't understand the Cricket and the requirements for accommodation. I would suggest that you consider bringing a scooter along with you to use when the Cricket is not a good option (like going up and down the aisles at WalMart!) on your future camping trips.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #89

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Bringing the scooter along is a good idea....as it is approved as a mobility device. If you can get away with using a Cricket for the same purpose...good for you...but it is not approved as a mobility device and when challenged...you will lose that battle. I think this was the biggest point many were/are making here. I've never seen an approved, two-seater, side-by-side mobility device. It would be an interesting game changer if someone could show the Cricket documented somewhere as such.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #90
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll just hang this up here now...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1571851702
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Award for Dead Horse Beating.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	21028  
Old 10-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #91

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Nuff said

I think the misunderstanding is that there is a certification process for personal mobility devices. There is not. There is no arbiter of what is and what is not a Personal Mobility Device.That is why State Troopers and local police officers ask two questions--does it have a brake and how fast does it go. Getting caught up in other issues, such as size, leads nowhere. Being a responsible user of any of these devices, and using them in appropriate situations is what is important.
Nuff said.