Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Washington DC Suggestions

Looking for some suggestions for a future trip. We're thinking about leaving CA end of May or beginning on June. Most likely stay in Virginia? take a train to DC Does this sound right??

Any suggestions on campgrounds Places to go etc. Planning on this being a month long trip

Any help is appreciated

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Looking for some suggestions for a future trip. We're thinking about leaving CA end of May or beginning on June. Most likely stay in Virginia? take a train to DC Does this sound right??

Any suggestions on campgrounds Places to go etc. Planning on this being a month long trip

Any help is appreciated

Jerry
There are only a handfull of campgrounds close to DC. Cherry Hill in College Park, Md I think is the best for visiting DC. It is a pricy park, but it is well maintained.If you do not mind driving 30-40 minutes to DC there are other options.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

THOR #1658
As you can see from the Map, there are only a hand full of Campgrounds.

There is a CG showing by College Park, it has no power or anything. Even if you wanted to boondock there it is REALLY tight. The one in Lothian MD is about 1/2 as nice as College Park. The KOA in Millersville, MD is OK. It is between Baltimore and DC and close to Annapolis, MD. Not sure about the VA CGs.
I grew up around DC all of my life. PM me if you have any other questions.

Where in California are you? I am making my way there right now. I am NM right now heading West.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
Washington DC

If you are willing to stay in Fredericksburg, VA you will enjoy it. There are campgrounds nearby and you can take the "VRE" train into DC and back out each day. It's a ~30 min ride. Once you get into DC, get off the VRE and use the Metro rails to get around or UBER. It's a nice trip and you will have a great time. Check out what week they anticipate the Cherry trees to blossom.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah Cherry Hill Park is about the best for visiting Washington, DC. I think our last 4 visits to DC have all been there.

They have a pretty cool youtube channel:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:

Any help is appreciated

Jerry
If no toad, Cherry Hill. If you have a toad, https://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisit/camping.htm. Travel Trailer Village. Prince William Forest RV park isn't as fancy as Cherry Hill but it's a great place to camp and a short drive to the Springfield metro. If you want something quieter, Pohick Bay https://www.novaparks.com/cabins-cam...mping-family-0. Still quick drive to Huntington or Springfield metro. The full hookup sites go fast so reserve in advance.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm glad this popped up. My son just returned a couple days ago from his 8th grade class trip to DC. We were just talking yesterday about the idea of doing a family trip there. He had a good time, but missed quite a bit because of the closures right now. There was more thna enough for them to do...good stuff, but still a few high points were closed, and a family trip would be a different perspective anyway.

I'm not sure if we would do it as an RV trip though, or hotel. Regardless, I'm glad to file away these suggestions in memory for future reference
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm glad this popped up. My son just returned a couple days ago from his 8th grade class trip to DC. We were just talking yesterday about the idea of doing a family trip there. He had a good time, but missed quite a bit because of the closures right now. There was more thna enough for them to do...good stuff, but still a few high points were closed, and a family trip would be a different perspective anyway.

I'm not sure if we would do it as an RV trip though, or hotel. Regardless, I'm glad to file away these suggestions in memory for future reference
Even if you don't do it in an RV: Stay in one of the cabins at Cherry Hill Park. Our first trip there was in a cabin. You get more amenities than a hotel for a better price (and you still get the "campground ambiance"). We flew into Baltimore, rented a car and drove in to Cherry Hill.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232474

Greenbelt Campground, 12 miles NE of the center of it all, is a great off-grid campground, if you wish to have a low cost $20 stay, and run your generator instead. We did.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

THOR #3156
wow lots to take in. Thanks all. Time for moe research

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
As you can see from the Map, there are only a hand full of Campgrounds.

There is a CG showing by College Park, it has no power or anything. Even if you wanted to boondock there it is REALLY tight. The one in Lothian MD is about 1/2 as nice as College Park. The KOA in Millersville, MD is OK. It is between Baltimore and DC and close to Annapolis, MD. Not sure about the VA CGs.
I grew up around DC all of my life. PM me if you have any other questions.

Where in California are you? I am making my way there right now. I am NM right now heading West.
Im in Whittier which is maybe 10 miles north west of Disneyland. I can hear their fireworks every night at 930

Where in ca are you heading

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Im in Whittier which is maybe 10 miles north west of Disneyland. I can hear their fireworks every night at 930

Where in ca are you heading

Jerry
Jerry,
I am hoping to check out the whole state. As we full time and are exploring America.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Jerry,

I am hoping to check out the whole state. As we full time and are exploring America.
if youre in tge area let me now. Maybe do lunch or dinner
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
if youre in tge area let me now. Maybe do lunch or dinner
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We stayed at Cherry Hill near DC a few years back. Left our big pickup there with our 5er and rode the train to Union Station. From there, we did a two day Gray Line tour of DC. Great way to see the high points efficiently. Went back by train for a second day, then took our truck into town on Saturday to see the National Cathedral, WW2 memorial and a few other spots we had missed.

We did the same thing for a day into New York City and the same at Boston, that time with a tour from the campground out by Foxborough. Would recommend those day tours to anybody unfamiliar with the city.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
We stayed at Cherry Hill near DC a few years back. Left our big pickup there with our 5er and rode the train to Union Station. From there, we did a two day Gray Line tour of DC. Great way to see the high points efficiently. Went back by train for a second day, then took our truck into town on Saturday to see the National Cathedral, WW2 memorial and a few other spots we had missed.

We did the same thing for a day into New York City and the same at Boston, that time with a tour from the campground out by Foxborough. Would recommend those day tours to anybody unfamiliar with the city.
OOh! Boston and campground out near Foxboro would that be Normandy Farms? Another really good campground...loved staying there. From there it was something like a 20 minute drive to the commuter lot for the subway.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Yes, Jamie, Normandy Farms. Great place. That was probably 10 years ago, and at that time they had a work camper who drove a bus from there to give us a first rate tour.

Perhaps interesting, but my rambling has taken this thread away from DC.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #18

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Yes, Jamie, Normandy Farms. Great place. That was probably 10 years ago, and at that time they had a work camper who drove a bus from there to give us a first rate tour.

Perhaps interesting, but my rambling has taken this thread away from DC.
not off topic at all. We plan to stop at a lot places so everythibg so fat has helped
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We were there in 2012.

Late summer 2011 we started planning a trip to Boston for the next season (to pick up a Red Sox game) and I happened to be watching a Travel Channel show about the Top 10 campgrounds in the US. Guess which one was #1? No it wasn't Disney! It was Normandy Farms. That kind of settled it...
Old 01-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #20

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Yeah, one time I went there and they had a shooting at one of the attractions and EVERY tourist bus stopped running. Had to walk from the Washington memorial to Union Station. Next time I got a subway map with all the stops listed, so I wouldn't do that again. And yeah, we got a really good look at the 'mall' they have there too.