Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
what clubs to join?

What motorhome and RV clubs do people have, how do you like them and do you really see a savings with them? I hear a lot of good sams...

Old 03-10-2016, 03:52 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Do you mean discount clubs where you're only looking for price breaks, brand-related clubs where you only fraternize with owners of your particular brand of RV, or open clubs where RVers of every stripe - TT to Prevost - are welcome to come to rallies and get together with other RVers. We belong to Good Sam and have a Thousand Trails membership for the discounts and campground access, but we also belong to the Texas Boomers purely for the social aspects of getting together with RVing friends from all across Texas.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

THOR #3789
WOW.... never heard of Texas Boomers. that is what I was meaning along with discount and price breaks...
Old 03-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've been KOA members for about 15+ years now. If you frequent KOA's its a pretty decent deal; if not then it isn't worth it.

For the past few years, along with the discount, they've had a points system where you earn points as you camp. At specific point levels you get credits towards camping (e.g. a frequent camper program on top of the normal % discount). I think we earn enough per two years to get a night of free camping out of it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We belong to Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) and Escapees. FMCA is motorhomes only and Escapees is any RV. Both hold rallies at the national, regional and local levels through chapters or interest groups. Along with discounts on campgrounds with both, FMCA has the Michelin Tire Advantage program and Family Assist where if something happens such as a medical emergency they get you, your family, pets and coach back home for you. FMCA also maintains a directory of members that will allow fellow coach owners to pull into their driveway for a short duration (1 or 2 nights) stay while travelling.

I received a free Thousand Trail membership when we bought the coach. Drove through 4 of their parks in the region and wouldn't waste my time with them. One of them even charged us a one night cancellation fee when we couldn't find a site where the RV wouldn't sink in the mud. They are now trying to get us to renew by offering 2 zones for the price of one discounted to 50 percent. Couple their sub-standard parks with their additional fees for 50 amp, for this, for that and it is cheaper in the long run to stay at an RV resort. IMO the money is better served in the septic tank decomposing as fertilizer.

I also belong to Good Sam for the nickel a gallon at Pilot Flying J. If it wasn't for that Good Sam would be gone in a heart beat. Be prepared, joining Good Sam will result in at least 10 pieces of junk mail per week and there is nothing you can do to stop them. I now shred what they send me and return it to them in their postage paid envelope. Let them pay for throwing away their own trash.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I received a free Thousand Trail membership when we bought the coach. Drove through 4 of their parks in the region and wouldn't waste my time with them. One of them even charged us a one night cancellation fee when we couldn't find a site where the RV wouldn't sink in the mud. They are now trying to get us to renew by offering 2 zones for the price of one discounted to 50 percent. Couple their sub-standard parks with their additional fees for 50 amp, for this, for that and it is cheaper in the long run to stay at an RV resort. IMO the money is better served in the septic tank decomposing as fertilizer.
Unfortunately, as you experienced, TT parks are all over the spectrum as far as condition is concerned. The main reason we have a TT membership is so we can camp with our daughter and son-in-law who are full-timers; otherwise, we wouldn't have access to the TT parks where they stay.

With the OP being from Texas, I'll address the TT parks we've used. Even though the TT parks are not resort-class (such as Rayford Crossing in Houston or Buckhorn Lake in Kerrville), the TT parks at Lake Conroe and Columbus (Colorado River TT) are quite acceptable. We'll be trying out Medina Lake and Bridgeport (DFW area) in the next few weeks. Lake Whitney also seems to get decent reviews.

So, it depends what you want. If you insist on the resort-class parks, then TT probably isn't for you.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
I also belong to Good Sam for the nickel a gallon at Pilot Flying J. If it wasn't for that Good Sam would be gone in a heart beat. Be prepared, joining Good Sam will result in at least 10 pieces of junk mail per week and there is nothing you can do to stop them. I now shred what they send me and return it to them in their postage paid envelope. Let them pay for throwing away their own trash.
We used to be Camping World President's club members then Good Sam took that over. Thus now I'm also getting the deluge of Good Sam paper mail and never really had any contact with them...sigh. Good idea shredding it and sending back to them! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1249
We have been with Passport America for a good many years and have saved a lot of $$ with them. Some of the campgrounds have blackout days and seasonal restrictions, but if you can work around them, it is a good deal at 1/2 price off.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
If you are over 62, the best "club pass" is the national park senior pass. Gets you into any national park for free and half price on camp sites and it's free. It has saved us hundreds of dollars over the past 8 years and gotten us some great national parks and camp sites from Florida to Maine to Alaska.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I do use the national parks pass and Indiana has a state park pass also. I use both of them

Dstankov, I think you and I would get along well.

I don't shred junk mail. I put it back in their postage paid return envelope and write a short note saying, "I received this in the mail and don't need it. Please throw it away for me or send it to someone else who might have requested it."

Phil
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 AM   #11

THOR #3789
LOL.... a lot of good ideas here.... I cant wait to start sending back good sams club junk mail....
Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
What motorhome and RV clubs do people have, how do you like them and do you really see a savings with them? I hear a lot of good sams...
Can you see that there is no right answer to your club question? We've been members of Good Sam, KOA, Passport America and Coast to Coast at various phases in our RVing time. How useful they and the others are depends on how, where and when you travel. All of the ones mentioned have their plus and minus.

Are you looking for the social aspect of clubs? Just the savings in camping? Resort camping or just basic RV parks? Some folks use Passport Am to save a lot of money, it didn't work too well for us because of their limitations. Before you buy into any of them, take a good look at their list of participating parks. The good news is, most of them don't cost all that much, so you can join and give it a whirl.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Mr. Sunshine has a great reply.. it really depends on how you will RV. And how you roll... I have passport and good sam, AARP. The AARP and Passport have provided the best deals but Good Sam gas deal with pilot credit card is worthwhile. Thousand Trails has prepaid camping. Escapes is an affiliate of Passport some how. We don't really go camping or stay for any length of time so it is not for us. If driving cross country Passport can be quite useful but the parks are a crap shoot..but for overnight works for me. If I was traveling family style probably would be looking more at KOA and other family type parks.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have Passport. KOA, and Good Sam. The Passport hasn't done us very good, it seems like we are never around there members and the ones we did use where just ok. KOA which I was not going to use at first has ended up being one of our favorites, just because all the ones we have been to are very nice parks and well ran although usually higher priced. Good Sam you get a small discount but the fuel thing adds up.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #15

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I have Good Sam and AAA for discounts and I have been an Elk for 5 years.
About 80% of Elks Lodges in the USA offer some sort of RV parking most with
hookups. As a member prices range from $5 for dry camping to $25 for full
hookups. Not for everyone, but it works for us when traveling and a lodge is
on our route. Note: not open to non elks.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
KOA for us

We have been KOA members since 2009 since there is one we go to a lot. Since they are individually owned, there is a variety in conditions but overall, they are a good value for us. The membership is less than $25 per year and you save that much in one weekend. The membership gives you a small discount in their park store and the point system is nice as it can add up to a free night. Overall, it's a good value for us and worth checking out if there are KOAs in the areas where you like to vacation.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I do use the national parks pass and Indiana has a state park pass also. I use both of them

Dstankov, I think you and I would get along well.

I don't shred junk mail. I put it back in their postage paid return envelope and write a short note saying, "I received this in the mail and don't need it. Please throw it away for me or send it to someone else who might have requested it."

Phil
This is a great idea. I shred anything with my name on it so I might keep a container of it handy and stick it in the postage paid envelope and send it back. Love it.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We are members of FCRV (Family Campers and RVers). Doesn't give you a discount but we go to chapter rallies, state rallies, district rallies and even national rallies. There are chapters all over the US. Check out the national site at Family Campers and RVers | Where Strangers Become Friends and Friends Become Family. As an FYI, this used to be know as NCHA, (National Campers and Hikers Association) Great organization and great people.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We are Good Sam, KOA and Passport America. Really use the heck out of Good Sam's trip planning, discounts at Flying J (Pilot also but RV lanes there are sketchy) and discounts at Camping World for things like toilet tissue. Passport America is worth every penny for us because we typically use them for short stays for not much $s. Most PA limit to your stay to 1, 2 or 3 nights; have strict rules on black outs; etc.

KOA - generally a full service stay (LP, store, even some wine tasting, etc). Most times the KOAs are more than we'd like to spend - we are retired Army and have access to lots of military FAMCAMPs. Not sure I'll renew with KOA.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We are Good Sam, KOA and Passport America. Really use the heck out of Good Sam's trip planning, discounts at Flying J (Pilot also but RV lanes there are sketchy) and discounts at Camping World for things like toilet tissue. Passport America is worth every penny for us because we typically use them for short stays for not much $s. Most PA limit to your stay to 1, 2 or 3 nights; have strict rules on black outs; etc.

KOA - generally a full service stay (LP, store, even some wine tasting, etc). Most times the KOAs are more than we'd like to spend - we are retired Army and have access to lots of military FAMCAMPs. Not sure I'll renew with KOA.

Hope this helps.
Ben

Angel Soft from the commissary is a lot cheaper that anything from CW and dissolves just fine. Been using it for a few years and never had an issue dumping the black tank.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote