Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Camped several days at Shoal Creek in Buford, GA

Took the new coach on a shake down trip to Shoal Creek in Buford GA. There was only one spot available when I got there, site #80. The girl at the desk was all bubbly, saying this was one of the BEST sites in the entire park!

How amazing is that? The only site left in the entire campground, and it's the best spot to boot! I was thinking I might ought to go buy a lottery ticket with this kind of luck.

It was pouring down rain as we started to thread our way through the campground back to site 80, and then suddenly, we were there. It was nice alright, but access was horrible. The site was paved but it was shaped like the letter T. You drive down the stem of the T and then you have to jiggle your RV around several threatening trees and then back into the slot.

No kidding, it took me the better part of a nerve grinding hour to work my way back and forth, turning the coach a bit one way, moving forward, then turn it the opposite way and back up a few feet. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Several close calls later and I got it docked!

We had a good time but the entire stay was clouded with the reality that we had to go through the same thing to get back out.

I didn't sleep well last night as my dreams were mostly about how I was going to wiggle around and get my coach out of this monster mess. In retrospect, I should have walked away and gone somewhere else.

Woke up this morning, and yes it was raining again. I discussed my exit plan with my copilot and away we went. I guess the last 3 days of mental rehearsal paid off because getting out was a breeze! It took about 15 minutes, mostly because I would move a few feet and get out to inspect and recalculate, then climb back in the coach and and do it again.

Anyhow, we survived and I'm a better operator for it all. Here are some pictures but in no way do they begin to show the difficulty of the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02116.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	21000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02126.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	21001  

Name:	DSC02128.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	21002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02131.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	21003  

Name:	DSC02132.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	21004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02156.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	21005  

Name:	DSC02166.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	21006  

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sweet report!! I have that same sofa cover for the labs and their nails...works great and it's a hair magnet for sure. I was up your way yesterday...had to get boat parts at Bass Pro and West Marine. If I had known you were there, I'd a stopped by! Gorgeous lake but down a good bit.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If I had known you were there, I'd a stopped by!
Hey Don! That would have been the cat's meow for sure! I'll shoot you a PM next time we go. (It won't be site 80 though...) Play your cards right and I might even buy dinner!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You got a date for sure...another great "secret lake" around here is Clark's Hill. We've been out there (west end of the Little River leg) and saw only two boats on 4th of July. Lake Lanier is 35K acres. Clark's Hill is 72K acres with very few homes. Easy shot from where you are. Mistletoe State Park & Campground...great place! Don't tell anybody!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote