Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #6598
Yellowstone to West Glacier

Anyone have a recommendation for best route (safe, 2/4 lane interstates/hwy's from West Yellowstone to West Glacier in Class C?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I did that drive in 2005, so things could have changed, including my memory.

I went north out of Yellowstone north exit, following the river to I-90. I believe it's highway 89. I like that drive -- it's easy and safe.

I took I-90 west to highway 93, where I went north. Highway 93 goes along west side a pretty lake. I recall stopping for lunch at a Mexican restaurant right on lake (yeah, didn't expect that) where we had filled (stuffed?) churros for dessert. That I recall clearly.

From hwy 93 I took hwy 2 to west entrance to Glacier NP. All roads between the two parks were easy as best as I recall.

By the way, Glacier was a last-minute decision, so I hadn't researched much. I just selected roads on the map.

Returning I left Glacier to the east, where we crossed the Continental Divide through narrow roads in the mountains. Those were much more scenic and more to my taste, but a little harder to drive if in a larger motorhome.

I'd like to get to Glacier again because the main scenic route had not opened yet. At the time it was limited to vehicles 21-feet long if I recall correctly. Can't be too tall or wide either, so leaves most Class Cs out.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #10815
You won’t have any problems getting to West Glgacier. The other post is referring to the Going to the Sun road across the park. It is open but still limited to 21 and under. Leave your rv in the parking lot and take the shuttle if you want to cross over, or else go around the south end. It is a long drive though.