Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
MCR,

Glad I could contribute. Over the past 90 days of ownership I have found lots of information on this Forum, lots of shared information, ideas, repairs and modifications. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Hope it can help out.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #22

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thanks, please let me know what they say. I have sent an e-mail to Thor Customer Service asking if they will fix my 2014 under the recall. I will let you know if they will.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #1249
FWIW, just got off the phone with Thor after getting email reply from dealer telling me to call Thor. (574-266-1111) and give VIN# to them and they will check for any open recalls. Said my 2015 had none. Hope you get yours fixed under the recall since you have had problems.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #24

THOR #1765
I'm still working on it. Got a positive response from my dealer (NorthTrail RV) and a negative one from Thor Warrantee. We'll see which one pans out. There is always the NTSB to turn too.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #25

THOR #1765
Thor Answer

After multiple e-mails and, finally, two telephone calls from Thor Warranty, I got a yelling, screaming NO, on my 2014 being covered under this recall. The only thing Thor warranty cares is that the 2014 and 15 models are different than the 2016, so we are not covered. I tried to tell them that I understood their position, but my position is that if the failure of the ability to turn your defroster on is a safety issue in the 2016, then a failure to be able to turn the defroster on in 2014 or 15 models is just as serious a safety problem. They are not hearing it and they DO NOT CARE! The only safety recalls they are going to deal with are the ones mandated by the NHTSA. These guys will never learn. GM got hit with a $900 million fine today for ignoring and stonewalling their ignition switch issue.
I have written Mr. Jeff Kime, President of Thor, 701 County Road 15, Suite 100, Elkhart, Indiana 46516, a letter expressing my displeasure and told him that I would await his reply before I filed it with the NHSTA. For all those working on the much more serious transmission cable problem, from the e-mail Thor sent on that issue and their response of this one, you can expect little help from them. While I am not saying that the cable problem is their fault, I still think that they would have some interest in helping out the numerous Thor owners who have a dangerous problem in their RVs. Maybe not. Maybe I'll hear something positive from President Kime. Maybe....
Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #26

THOR #2142
Finger pointing, do the Corporate Big Wigs ever learn? And while they try to duck responsibility...the safety of owners of their product risk life and limb.

Let us hope the President of Thor has a better overall vision for the Corporation...one that is not tied so closly to the bottom line profit margin.

No one is perfect, everyone make mistakes...learn from them, grow and move on.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #27

State: Maryland
THOR #1961
Any update on this? I have an Axis 24.1 and have what seems to be the same problem.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #28

THOR #2142
Sailing,

Mine is in for the Safety Recall. Our Vegas 24.1 is a 2016 (built on a 2015 E350).

When I get it back I'll post my findings.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #29

THOR #1765
I never got a response from the president of Thor for those of us with older Vegas. Your 2016 should be covered under the recall, unless they try to pull the 2015/2016 on you.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #30

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Not a problem, I have the Safety Recall Sheet (it is what I started this thread with). As far as the Transmission Cable vs. Exhaust...the RUV is in the shop as I type; but no reply to yesterday's letter on that subject.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #31

Model: VEGAS
State: California
THOR #3113
Doct Mike you are a life saver ! I am just about sick of this recall Ford vs Thor. If its a dangerous issue for the 2016 it should not matter what year if it happen to your coach.

Hey could you post the replacement part and clear up the jumper statement. Should we disconnect the jumper ? or is there new jumper to add. I found all the wires.

This is not acceptable under no circumstance.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #32

THOR #2142
JackDog,

I am looking at the Job Description for the work done on my Vegas under Recall 15V-530. It says:
- Recall 15v-30, Axis Heater Control Vent Selelection.
- Order Part Number 0338838.
- Job Estimate: 0.50.

Then under the next section on the work order it also lists:
- Part No. 51802 Jumper Harness.

They showed me the part, did not look like much. The explaination I was given was that the incorrect guage of wire was used and it would short out.

Hope that helps.

Doc

Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #33

Model: VEGAS
State: California
THOR #3113
I am so grateful !!

Thanks doc.

Just what I thought. The wire gauge is too small on the second pig tail. Both dials are burned out and are contained on the same module so that make sense to replace it. That what the parts number is all about.

I've been to 4 dealerships and they all said it was fixed but the defrosted did not work and said it was Ford and there problems.

I'm preparing to do most of the work myself on this RV. Its my first ever and I have never seen an industry that is so dysfunctional.

THE ONLY THINK THAT MAKING ME HAPPY IS THAT I TOOK THE COACH FOR A WHEEL ALIGNMENT ( Which Ford said it would take a month to due) Wanted me to leave my coach). LOL . I took it back home and peeked under to see the front suspension and what I saw was amazing.

Its a front Safety plus T and front and rear sway bar installed free of charge. LOL. Call the dealer they said it was not them. Call Ford bingo. Its an option on the E450 Chassie. My build order said a E350 chassie. I guess it works the other way too.

Thanks so much Doc !!!!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #34

THOR #2142
JackDog,

If you can get them to read the Recall it was the fact that you could not Defrost that made it a Safety Recall. Go back to #14 this thread and print it out for them to read!

WOWSERS on the Safe-T-Plus and the rear sway bar! I had the Safe-T-Plus added and really appreciate what it does for the ride.

Doc

Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #35

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Figured out why 2014s aren't covered by the recall...

I know this is a little late, but I thought some folks might be interested.

I think I've figured out why 2014 and 2015 Axis/Vegas units aren't covered by the A/C recall, even when they display some of the same issues...

We just returned from a 4,200 mile trip to the southeast in our 2014 Axis 24.1. The trip went well overall, but we did have a couple of issues with the coach. One was that we discovered that the A/C wasn't working properly. The diverter switch wasn't working, and all of the air was coming out of the defroster vents.

I crawled under the dash on the passenger side after we stopped for the night and poked around. I found the flapper servo motor and confirmed it wasn't working. So, I removed the push-nut, disconnected the flapper lever from the servo, and set it to blow through the dash vents.

This worked OK until we headed home and we had a couple of cool, wet mornings. I got pretty good at reaching under the dash to switch between defrost and dash vents around midday every day. We got home last Thursday and, after doing all of the post-trip cleanup and clean-out, I decided to get after the A/C issue.

I started by pulling the console off the dash. It wasn't too hard, there are only 4 nuts to remove. You do have to remove the radio head to get to the top two nuts. Once I got it off, I pulled the A/C switch block and began investigating.

The first, and most important thing I discovered was the answer to why 2014s aren't covered by the recall:
In the 2014, and presumably 2015s, the diverter selector switch is a mechanical vacuum actuated unit - not electrical!
As noted in a previous post, the recall deals with an under-sized electrical component that does not exist in the 2014 mechanical switch!

So what was my problem?

The vacuum switch has 6 separate vacuum hoses connected to it. The switch connects them in different combinations as needed. There are also 3 vacuum actuators and flaps/diverters in the system.

They are:
  1. Yellow and White: switches between the defrost vents/dash vents/or blends the two. These lead to the vacuum actuator located above the passenger's left foot.
  1. Green and Red: switches between the floor vents/the diverter listed above/or blends the two. The actuator is behind the radio.
  1. Blue: passes through the firewall to an actuator located behind and below the chassis battery. This controls fresh air/recirculate. It's really hard to get too unless you're a contortionist.
  1. Black: also passes through the firewall to a vacuum accumulator mounted high in the center of the firewall. This is what powers the whole system.

Being a Thor, the wiring was a mess. So was the routing of the vacuum lines. The Black and the Blue vacuum lines in particular were poorly routed and easy to snag and disconnect when working under the hood.

I found the Black had come off the accumulator, probably when I was working under the hood after replacing the drivers side mirror. I pulled the Blue off the actuator and rerouted both to what I hope will be safer locations. When I reconnected them everything worked as expected.

I also cleaned up the wiring behind the center console before remounting it. With any luck all of the problems are solved.

Here are a few pictures for the curious:

The switch. From left to right:
  • Fan speed selector switch connector
  • Illumination (hole for a light bulb)
  • Temperature control switch. This one is interesting in that it is an electrical switch. I have no idea how temperature blending is done. It works, but not very well.
  • Output selector switch. The top opening is for the vacuum line connector. The electrical contacts on the bottom turn the A/C compressor on and off. It's on when A/C, Max A/C, or defrost are selected.

Both sides of the vacuum hose connector.

The flapper actuator behind the radio. It's the fuzzy silver thing with the red and green vacuum lines attached to it. You can just see a bit of the green above the air hose on the far left side of the photo.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 AM   #36

State: Maryland
THOR #1961
Wish I were as talented as you are. I will take my 2015 Axis 241. to a dealer along with this article, and see if they can fix this issue. Of course, someone will tell me that this is a Ford issue and refuse to do anything. Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 02:39 AM   #37

THOR #1147
Good luck!

SailingVehicle,

Good luck. I hope it helps.

There should be no question that it’s a Thor problem if the output selector isn’t working. It’s pretty obvious that none of the components are Ford parts.

If it will help, I’ll try and take/post a picture of the accumulator under the hood. It may be that your issue is as simple as mine, and the fix was trivially easy once I tracked the problem down.

Vacuum systems are realy pretty simple, robust, and reliable. If it’s not working at all it’s almost certain you have a leak somewhere. They’re usually not too bad to track down because they’ll hiss pretty loudly. That’s how I finally found the accumulator connection - by listening.

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-01-2018, 11:03 PM   #38

THOR #1147
2014 Vacuum Accumulator Location

SailingVehicle,

I grabbed a quick photo of the vacuum accumulator when I put the Axis in storage earlier today. It's located a bit left of center and toward the back of the compartment when looking into the engine compartment from the front. It's very easy to see/reach.

Here's the pic:

The accumulator is the round ball with a black and red vacuum hose attached. The black is what became disconnected in our coach. I didn't trace it, but the red should go to a vacuum port on the carb. The bulge where the red hose connects should be a check-valve that prevents vacuum from "leaking" when the engine isn't running.

If your selector doesn't work at all then one (or both) of these lines has probably become disconnected (could be at either end) or is damaged. If the selector works in some positions but not in others then one or more of the actuator lines is more likely the problem.

Regards,

Randy