Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
01Sept15: SAFETY RECALL 15V-350, Defective Heater/AC control head

Not sure how to get the word out so I started a new Thread. Is there one already on this Forum for Safety Recalls as they come in?

I just received this Reason for this Recall: "It has been decided that certain TMC Axis and Vegas model MH were built with a defective heater and AC control head. If subjected to a spike in voltage the control head could lock the heater and AC head in the position that it was set on at the time of the spike. This would not give the operator the ability to change the air flow to the defrost/defog setting. Without the ability to defrost/defog their windshield, the operator's visibility could be adversely affected and lead to a crash."

The letter advised me to contacted my CW Dealer; I did so and the new part is on order. As I learn more I will pass it on.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Received the same letter. Parts on order and appointment made.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We are currently on the road. I went to the federal safety recall site and put in myVIN. The site recognized the Ford E-350, but said there were zero recalls on my vehicle. I'll check when we get home to see if we received a letter.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

THOR #2142
Ed,

I was told it was a Thor part...if that helps.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thank you for your post. This happened to me this summer while I was in Alaska and it locked in the defrost setting. Since all the A/C was going into the defrost vents, I had to go under the dashboard and physically unhook the servo that moved the vent lever. I only got caught once needing defrost and I let the coach heat up and stabilize before I drove. Living in Florida I thought I would just live with it. But since it is a recall, now I can get it fixed. It is a Thor part for sure. Did you get a recall notice from Thor? Could you take a picture of it and post it so I can call my dealer? Thanks again for the post. There's is no guarantee that everyone will get a recall notice from Thor.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #6

THOR #2601
Doc --- hmmm that's interesting. We are talking about the heater air conditioner on the chassis , right? Last week I had some warranty work performed at the dealer. We were talking about chassis warranty work and they told me that I'd have to take it to Ford. He specifically said that included the a/c and heater on the chassis. Is the part something Thor installed in the ductwork when they built the front end cab?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

THOR #2601
Guess oneikeys answered my question
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

THOR #2142
I have the letter at home, I will scan it and try to post it here this evening. I was told by the parts lady at CW of Statesville NC that it is a Thor part.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #9

THOR #1765
They are mistaken or just don't want to deal with it. I took my RV to Ford when I first got it with a question on the chassis A/C and they told me that the chassis comes from Ford with virtually nothing on it. The Chassis A/C is Thor. I thought the A/C switch was a thermostat, like a normal A/C system and I could never get the A/C to turn off and on. If I turned it all the way to cold, it stayed on continuously and it you turned it down so that it just turned off, it would never turn on again. The tech at the dealer told me that the thermostat was not really a thermostat but that the compressor was always on and the "thermostat" was really a flap that directed the A/C into the coach. I never know what to believe from these guys, and I am not saying that is right but that was what I was told. It looks to me that the switch that is being recalled is not the hot/cold switch, but the one next to if that switches from A/C to heat and defrost. That is the one in my Vegas that broke.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Once the part comes in I'll get the part # and hopefully the correct name for it. I will be sure to post it once I have more details.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #1991
Just dropped off the Vegas at CW a short time ago for rear tire valve stem's when I was told about this recall. I haven't received anything for Thor.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #1991
DocMike

It was Sandra at CW Statesville that made reference to another Vegas owner making them aware of this recall. Sure it was you.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Safety Recall Notice

Attached is a copy of the Notice I received.Click image for larger version

Name:	Recall.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	765

I am new at posting attachments, hope this makes it.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #15

THOR #2142
Happy,

Yep, it was me.

If you are using CWof Statesville we are close enough to get together and compare RV's. I'm here in Maiden.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #16

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Oneilkeys, et-al;

Most vehicles do not have thermostats controlling cabin temperature by cycling the compressor. (Higher-end vehicles that let you set a specific temperature may). The compressor runs pretty much full time when AC is selected. There is a thermostat inside the cooling core that cycles the compressor off occasionally, but only to prevent the core from freezing.

The "temperature control knob" is actually the "Blend Air Door" knob. It moves a door that directs air over the heater core, or the air conditioner core, or a blend of both in an effort to set the desired temperature. Any time the "temperature" knob is set between full-hot and full-cold some amount of air is passing through both the heater and cooler cores. Efficient, no? Our Axis/Vegas moterhomes are of the non-thermostat variety.

The "Blend Air Door" is separate from the flapper that controls where the air is directed. The output select flapper appears to be the focus of this recall.

The compressor and the radiator should be Ford parts. The heater/cooling cores, air handling, and controls are all Thor. Not sure whether the hoses from the compressor/radiator to the cores are Thor or Ford! I bet each side would claim they belong to the other.

For what it's worth...

Randy
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #17

THOR #1765
Thanks Randy. That explains a lot. I bet my "blend air door" has not worked correctly in the two years that I owned the RV and the switch finally broke. Interesting that the compressor is Ford's. I wonder if they own up to it. The Ford dealer that I visited in Maine sure did not! Thanks to DocMike, I got the recall notice. Now I can set up an appointment and drive the 100 miles round trip to get it fixed. But at least I can get it fixed. Thanks again. This forum is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
All,

Based on the recall letter that was posted the recall only applies to certain (not all) 2016 Axis Vegas coaches. You may want to call Thor to determine if the recall applies to your coach before making a long distance drive to a dealer for a recall that may not apply to your rig.

If you did not receive the letter chances are your coach may not be covered and/or repaired under the recall.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Thanks. I already have my letter to the NHTSA drafted if they won't honor it. But Thor has been pretty good in fixing stuff.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #20

THOR #1249
Oneilkeys, the recall mentions only the 2016 models, but evidently the recall affects the other years also, since you have had a problem with yours. Not sure how they will handle mine as I am the second owner and bought it from a dealer other than the original dealer. Will call and see how it goes.
Thanks for the heads up on the info DocMike and posting the recall.