Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #3353
Palazzo Entry Door Expanding/Contracting?

Hello Everyone,

My 2016 Palazzo 33.2 Entry Door has what I speculate is an expanding and contracting problem. Simply stated, in cold weather, (I'll say 40 degrees and below), the door lock does not want to engage and lock. Likewise, in hot weather again, (90 degrees and above) the door lock does not want to engage and lock. I've adjusted the strike plate several times, and changed the lock from the standard Dexter, to a high end RVLock. Turns out that I have LESS problems with the low end Dexter Lock.

Anyone have this problem? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, our door 'sticks' sometimes and is hard to open, usually after some travel time and movement of the door frame and sidewall, but as for 'weather or temps' we've not seen that be much of a factor.... : 0
I do remember initially having to 'adjust' the lock/seating as ours would have a hard time closing... the factories install these while in 'perfect' indoor conditions, but the weather, temps, and sun can cause some to fall out of alignment.

but, it does seem as if you need some adjustment to your lock
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #3353
Thanks for the input there Mister T! I appreciate it. I've tried adjusting both the lock and the strike plate. I had to heat it up with a hairdryer to get it close and lock last week.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I believe I actually had to add some shims behind the strike plate to better 'meet up' with the latch... but even then, the door still gets 'stuck' periodically - sometimes I even think we've accidentally locked it, but you have to actually almost 'slam' into it to get it to open : ).... but, those times are rare, so I haven't worried too much about it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote