Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Noisy water pump!

is there a quieter water pump out there. Ours is so loud. Actuall our last RV had a loud one too. Very annoying indeed!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
guessing you have the same as me.....
I have found that once the air works out of the lines it gets much better. Takes a long time sometimes for it to get out of the lines to the shower.

There is a twist to being able to hear the pump. Gives you notice in case somebody accidentally leaves a faucet dripping. It has "saved" me more than a couple times.

I can imagine though that an underbed pump would be no good if you have one early riser in the family.... luckily mine is under the kitchen. You can still hear it all over the coach, but I don't find it that bad (once the air is out)

Yes, there are better pumps available.

Also options include:
an expansion tank (smoothes flow + a big enough one will keep enough volume under pressure so the pump doesn't kick on for just a squirt out of a faucet)

vibration isolators under the pump's mounting feet, I have read that some folks have had some luck doing this.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
I just found a silencing kit for sure flow pump. The ridged tubbing is what's banging against the wood .
The silencer comes with new flexible tubing I re route away from wood. Mine was all about the vibration not air.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

THOR #908
the air makes the vibration worse
Not saying that's what it is....just a factor to consider..... to maybe not jump the gun too quickly. I had a couple cases early on when either after draining for the winter, or after running the pump dry, I thought something was wrong. Not just for a few minutes, but like for a few days of camping.... then suddenly after a shower (and not necessarily after the first one of the weekend), it got much much quieter....
Old 06-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #5

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Your info may be just what I was looking for. I had drained my tank completely and had cleaned plastic shavins from the inlet screen. Then, like a dummy I absentmindedly turned on the pump for about 15-20 seconds so undoubtedly air is in the lines and needs to be purged. The hot water side seems to flow OK but the cold side appears to "cycle" but that flow appears OK as well. Is it reasonable to expect this to clear up or should I do some more checking.

Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #6

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
Your info may be just what I was looking for. I had drained my tank completely and had cleaned plastic shavins from the inlet screen. Then, like a dummy I absentmindedly turned on the pump for about 15-20 seconds so undoubtedly air is in the lines and needs to be purged. The hot water side seems to flow OK but the cold side appears to "cycle" but that flow appears OK as well. Is it reasonable to expect this to clear up or should I do some more checking.

Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
Based on that, I'd suggest turning the cold faucet on and just letting it run for a long time. For me it was the shower that did it. Maybe the faucet furthest from the pump? Anyway, I'm thinking just short on/off cycles don't give the air a chance to work out....
Maybe not it....but maybe worth a try. Worked for me.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I installed an accumulator in the middle of a long trip. Without the benefit of extra hose and clamps, I made it work by swiveling the pump. The result was that it is now mounted by just one screw to the floor. It wasn't all that loud before, but now it is barely audible.
Our Vegas 25.2 has the water pump under the couch. Besides purging the air from the lines, you might check that the hoses are not vibrating on something, and add some insulation under the pump.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:02 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The silencing kit and an accumulator will work wonders for a noisy pump. I've done this mod on our last couple of MHs and swear by them!