Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37MD outlaw
State: Missouri
THOR #5305
'14 37MD electrical issues

well we've learned a couple things about the electric in our 37MD these past couple weeks, allow me to share. first off...don't try to run a heater and multiple game systems on a single 15 amp circuit, it will trip out, secondly just because the circuit diagram for your rig says that 5B is the circuit breaker that controls multiple outlets does not necessarily mean that the wiring in your rig is wired according to the circuit diagram, and lastly...sometimes you just have to give a wire a good tug and see what wiggles when you do.okay so I'll try to clarify that a smidge. Zoom (my son) decided he was chilly and drug a heater up to his room and turned it on which immediatley knockrd his outlet in his room, my outlet over the microwave, his moms outlet under the front desk and the outlet by the radio in the garage out. I told him to unplug the heater and go reset the breaker. after 5 minutes of looking and flipping breakers he came to the conclusion that nothing had tripped, so I've spent the past couple weeks running extension cords and trying to figure out where these 4 branch circuits come together and where they are fed from. Ive pulled all the drawers out in the bedroom because thats where all most of the electric runs to and from and still no jbox for these circuits to join up in. I pulled all the outlets out of the walls yesterday and low and behold the GFI in the garage had a knot of wires behind it. five wires to be exact which means they ran homeruns all the way from the outlets to this one little single gang box in the garage which exceeds the wire fill for that box and should have been caught by the engineer who designed and/or approved the design. but this still left me with a handfull of wires and no way to trace them (my wire tracer is at home of course), but I remembered that the back side of the garage wall has a staircase going upto the loft. so I opened the little cubby door on the side of the staircase and lifted the secret panel on the floor of it and low and behold theres my 5 #14 wires (among others) running out of the wall to my left. i putt together a little plug and and a wire twisted together to make a short and with my ohmeter in hand went around and traced all the wires except for the feed which would be the only one left. but now I'm stuck again with no way of tracing the wire the other 4 feet where it comes out in back of the armoire where about 20 wires were run. so as a last ditch effort I had Sher (my wife) give the wire below the stairs a good yank while I watched the bundle of wires and vioa! the culprit twitched and I was able to get my hands on it. now is where things get weird at least to me being a rv electric novice. I traced the wire over behind the breaker panel, but instead of going there it does a 180 and goes into the front of the inverter ( which I haven't been running since I have a larger one running my solar and always use it) so I feel around on the face because you can't really get an eyeball on it with all the wires and shtuff in the way and I'll be damned if there aint a little breaker button wiggling around so I push it and it resets. problem solved. so now for the question part of this discussion..... Why on gods green earth would you do that without updaing the drawing for that system? I mean thats why they make drawings to begin with so you can just go look at a drawing and go find what your looking for instead of having to tear shit open and take days instead of minutes fixing stuff.

Okay I'm done, hope this helps someone else somewhere along the line. As you were

Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you make your own drawing after tracing all this around?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote