Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #5733
1999 Four Winds Hurricane

I am new to this forum and I own a 1999 four Winds Hurricane. Is this an appropriate forum for repair questions on this RV?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum. Ask your questions as there are many years of experience here.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #3

THOR #5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Ask your questions as there are many years of experience here.
I was adding a power port socket and had power then it wasn't there. There are 2 D.C. Fuse panels on my 1999 four Winds Hurrricane one under the drivers side dash and one under the hood. I have power to the panel under the drivers side dash but the one under the hood has no power. No fuses are blown but there is no power to the 12 volt D.C. distribution panel under the hood. Help ?!
Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I am not certain where your power was coming from but there may not be power to the panel unless the key is on, also be sure you have checked the fuses with an ohm meter. If they opened with a small current they may still look good but be opened. The filaments can break without any burn signs or obvious gap. There should also be a fuse panel for the coach house and bad fuse could be there. There are wires under the dash supplied by both the chassis and the house.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #5

THOR #5733
Thanks for the ideas. I had checked the panel before it quit working and all fuses were fine now there's no power to the panel at all. I know before the power quit working I had power to the panel with the key off. I tried to follow the power wire from the coach battery and is far as I can tell leads to the back of the coach under the rear bed where the 110 power breakers/ another D.C. Power panel, and power converter are located. Power comes into the fuse box under the hood from what looks like a wire loom coming from the rear of the coach
Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taplin View Post
I was adding a power port socket and had power then it wasn't there. There are 2 D.C. Fuse panels on my 1999 four Winds Hurrricane one under the drivers side dash and one under the hood. I have power to the panel under the drivers side dash but the one under the hood has no power. No fuses are blown but there is no power to the 12 volt D.C. distribution panel under the hood. Help ?!
Do you have any 12V power to the coach?
As I recall from my prev RV (2000 Four Winds Infinity) - the distribution panel under the hood was primarily for the coach... There is a large fuse in the battery compartment that may have popped - should see a flag out on the fuse block. That would remove all coach power from the distribution box.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:10 AM   #7

THOR #3119
Your unit is obviously different than mine but I have a main fuse in the line between the battery and the distribution panel however my fuse was hidden below a cabinet drawer mounted to the floor just after the main line entered the house. I only found it because I was having trouble with the drawer slide and after removing the drawer saw the wiring and fuse holder on the floor. No mention of this fuse in the manual anywhere.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #8

THOR #5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Do you have any 12V power to the coach?
As I recall from my prev RV (2000 Four Winds Infinity) - the distribution panel under the hood was primarily for the coach... There is a large fuse in the battery compartment that may have popped - should see a flag out on the fuse block. That would remove all coach power from the distribution box.
I do still have 12 battery D.C. Power at the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. Just not the panel under the hood. What I don't understand is why one has power and one does not.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taplin View Post
I do still have 12 battery D.C. Power at the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. Just not the panel under the hood. What I don't understand is why one has power and one does not.
The fuse panel under dash would be chassis powered... The distributon box under the hood is (at least partially) powered by coach batteries.

The 'use/store' switch and coach battery main fuse are possibilities if there is no coach powered 12v (ceiling lights, etc)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

THOR #5733
D.C. Distribution panel

I've included pictures of the D.c distribution panel the wiring harness going into the panel has no power whereas it did before. That wiring harness going into the fuse panel is coming from the back of the coach. I haven't got quite the time yet to trace that wiring harness and find out where the powers coming from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3235.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	3233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	3234  

Name:	IMG_3240.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	3235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3246.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	3236  

Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

THOR #3119
Taplin, You probably know this by now but that block in the 3rd picture with the studs could be a auto reset ckt breaker or a fuse, I have seen both in the same package. I would check both terminals for voltage with and without something turned on. I had a breaker develop high resistance and without a load read 12v but as soon as a load was applied the voltage disappeared from the output.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #12

THOR #5733
It's showing current

So I've done a simple current check and it is showing current that 40 amp breaker located on the circuitboard upper left and current is showing coming out the other side of the 40 amp breakers. according to the DC distribution box diagram on the cover, that wire attached to the stud on the other side of the breaker , is the converter charge line. Like you it seems to be a mix of both chassis power and 12 V stored battery power. Did that make sense ? i'm somewhat handy with autos but this is my first RV and I've only owned it two months
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	3237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	3238  

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	3239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3267.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	3240  

Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 AM   #13

THOR #3119
I think you are correct. It also looks like one of those solenoids is for the generator start and one is for the emergency start. I can not figure out why you show power on both sides of that solenoid. That fuse with the white wires looks like it is supplying the ckt bd but I cant tell. You might want to check the individual fuses and see if they have power.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
On our former coach ('99 Infinity 34H) there another fuse panel in the bedroom. it is on the bed support, the drivers side near the night stand.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, fuse box, no power