Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 02:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #15261
2005 32N Roof Repair

Hi everyone we had a leak around the shower dome and have water damage around it and approx 30 inches back. Can the rubber roof be rolled back to the damaged area or does it have to be completely replaced?

Would like to sell the unit if anyone is interested

Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I see no responses to you so far. Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach at all or how its roof is constructed but I would expect that the roofing material (if EPDM or TPO) is probably glued down to the plywood top and was probably installed as one continuous roll when built. So rolling back glued roofing is likely not an option. Sounds like you have two water damaged areas; around the shower dome and then a second area about 30 inches away. If the roof plywood layer is soft/rotted in either area, it should be repaired (remove the rot layer and fill with wood epoxy as a minimum) because any new roofing patch/repair will not stick to rotted submaterial; plus the shower dome has to have solid material to screw back into; and there is the safety issue for future roof walkers. I am not sure what size roofing patches (like eterna-bond) are available so you may want to check that out (compared to damaged area) or have a reputable RV shop or Mobile RV tech investigate and give you a price to properly repair or suggestions for doing it yourself.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ll jump in with my opinion (FWIW). I’m going to assume you have an EPDM (rubber) roof given the age of the coach. If so I think it can be patched after cutting out any damaged structure. Probably not dreadfully difficult depending on how bad the structural damage is but maybe not a DIY project either. Really, though, it must be done unless you want to sell at a deeply discounted price. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

THOR #15261
Thanks Pete for the response. The area I would need to cut out would be approx 4 feet by 5 feet. Can a patch still be used?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve e never done it but yes, I think so. It would use the same material with appropriate solvent to permanently fuse the patch to the original roofing material. Again, I don’t know if this is a DIY project or requires an experienced professional. I expect that the material and solvent are available online so the structural work would be an issue. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
And...as in any wood rot situation...the suspect area will increase the more you tear into it. The cross members/trusses may have damage also, which will roll into the inner wall areas. Big job any way you look into it. Can you attach any pictures you have to the extent of the damage you see...before tearing into it? Have you been up top and stepped around to see how soft it may be and how big that soft area is?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #7

THOR #15261
Thanks for the response. There is one soft spot south of the dome the size of a soft ball and you can see the rubber has slightly lifted further down but the roof is not soft. We have sealed up the cracked caulking in the fall and no further damage has occurred. Just took it out of storage
Old 05-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #8

THOR #15261
Its a great unit and have had no issues. We just don't use it anymore due to health challenges. I can provide pictures on the roof area tomorrow. Thanks