Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: 28BD
State: Ontario
THOR #6886
Cool 2005 Dutchman 28BD Electrical

Hi,
New to the forum and I have seen a post by steelerr and FW28Z that indicated they may have a schematic for a 2005 Four Winds MH.
Problem is there is a 30AMP relay behind the converter that is showing an 83 OHM draw that is making the coach battery go dead. I don't know what this relay is connected to, and it goes into the big loom in the chassis frame and having a schematic or knowing what it is for would be preferable then taking that loom apart to chase the wire (rabbit).
The converter and relay are in back just as steelerr described theirs.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

THOR #6886
Question Update

The 30 AMP relay is for the slide out/parking brake. It ensures the parking brak is set before you can activate the slide out.
Problem is the original wiring. The coach battery supplies power at "all times" to this relay and any time the parking brake is applied (grounding, correct as per Ford wiring) the battery is draining.
This does not seem correct. What am I missing here? I am thinking the power from the coach battery to this relay should come from some other place but the instructions state the slide out can be extended MH on shore/generator/engine or coach power which is all true as wired now.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
This may not be relevant to your problem...however...we HAD a 2008 Dutchmen 26bb (double opposing slides) ... we always remove our keys from ignition when parked ... ONE time, we attempted to start motor with slides out and nothing happened ... we quickly discovered it was a fail-safe to prevent you from moving home with slides extended (nothing in manual regarding same)
As I said...this may not be relevant to your problem, but good to know.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #4

THOR #6886
Thanks

I think I'm going to install a momentary toggle switch beside the slide switch so you have to engage the parking brake, and switch to operate the slide. This will stop the battery drain and still keep the safety features. I see some newer models have a key switch and others have power off the chassis module specific for the slide relay.
Early Winnebago schematics have the same wiring at the parking brake but seem to use an ignition (keyed) power source for the relay.
Momentary switch will just be easier to wire up.
Thanks Again.