Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #1681
2014 Challenger 37KT (Problems)

We bought a 2014 Thor Challenger 37KT in April 2014. Guess what it spent 10 weeks of the summer in the repair shop. We have had so many problems that we no longer go to the dealer we have to go the the factory for repairs. Our repair list has exceeded over 103 items. We have owned it almost a year now and have yet to have a trip without something failing. We are in Florida for 3 months and we meet with every Thor owner that comes in the campground and we are hearing the same horror stories from all of them. My opinion owners should band together and try to get a class action suit against Thor.
FYI we have been RVing for 45 years and purchased many different brands of RVs, and never have we experienced such poor quality. Thor's answer to the problem is to double the size of the factory service center so it won't take 3 months to get the RV in for repair. Daah! If they would fix the problem during the build they would not have so much after the sale service. Come on Thor product owners let me hear about your horror stories with Thor.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy53 View Post
We bought a 2014 Thor Challenger 37KT in April 2014. Guess what it spent 10 weeks of the summer in the repair shop. We have had so many problems that we no longer go to the dealer we have to go the the factory for repairs. Our repair list has exceeded over 103 items. We have owned it almost a year now and have yet to have a trip without something failing. We are in Florida for 3 months and we meet with every Thor owner that comes in the campground and we are hearing the same horror stories from all of them. My opinion owners should band together and try to get a class action suit against Thor.
FYI we have been RVing for 45 years and purchased many different brands of RVs, and never have we experienced such poor quality. Thor's answer to the problem is to double the size of the factory service center so it won't take 3 months to get the RV in for repair. Daah! If they would fix the problem during the build they would not have so much after the sale service. Come on Thor product owners let me hear about your horror stories with Thor.
Roddy,

I bought a 2015 Challenger 37ND and will take it for the shake down cruise this coming weekend. What kinds of problems have you experienced with yours?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
My thoughts... I'm not interested in the horror stories. If there are questions, or assistance needed to help resolve issues, I'm more than happy to jump in... but to rant about issues, and rally others to do the same is unproductive. Sorry.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Roddy,

I bought a 2015 Challenger 37ND and will take it for the shake down cruise this coming weekend. What kinds of problems have you experienced with yours?
I also bought a 2015 Challenger 37ND (a dream come true) also and took it on a shake down cruise a few months ago. It was great. Only thing I noticed was the overhead bed squeaks and rattles badly. The Jensen radio went down hard and I lost the cameras. Got to have them. Also had two screens literally fly off inside and cant get them back on/in. Plus the USB ports in the main bedroom do not work. I have it in for warranty repairs at Campers World (New Braunfels, Tx). Although I've heard some horror stories though about repair facilities, I am not paying them any mind about repairs. YET! Funny thing I wish I knew before paying that kind of money for my new toy, dealers will repair it but if you didn't buy it from them, you're that last one in. Its been in the shop now for two months and still not "selected" to be repaired. Hurry it up folks, I want to hit the road.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
Funny thing I wish I knew before paying that kind of money for my new toy, dealers will repair it but if you didn't buy it from them, you're that last one in. Its been in the shop now for two months and still not "selected" to be repaired. Hurry it up folks, I want to hit the road.
Thanks for the info. I will pay attention to those areas.

I have a couple of "Thor Authorized Service Centers" close by but I decided that for the initial warranty work I'll take it back to the dealer from which I purchased the coach. In fact, anticipating some problems, which happen on the shakedown of any new RV, I have already made my appointment with their service department. If all goes well they only have the small stuff identified to fix. Since I can hook the unit up at home I have pretty much checked all electrical, plumbing and the visible items. My one limitation is that my electrical is 30 amp rather than 50 since I am still waiting for the electrician to get out here for the upgrade. The question for me is what shakes loose during a 500 mile round trip and 4 days in the woods.

While your in for repair have them check your fire extinguisher against the Kiddie recall. Mine is subject to the recall and I talked to Thor about it yesterday. I posted thread about the recall in the maintenance section of the forum to include the link to the recall info and the document on how to determine if your extinguisher is under the recall.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Thanks for the info. I will pay attention to those areas.

While your in for repair have them check your fire extinguisher against the Kiddie recall. Mine is subject to the recall and I talked to Thor about it yesterday. I posted thread about the recall in the maintenance section of the forum to include the link to the recall info and the document on how to determine if your extinguisher is under the recall.
tks for the info and I did read that thread. One thing I've heard from folks in the waiting room (sounds like a hospital), one lady told me to always check that the repairs have been done and to your satisfaction prior to leaving the shop.

And I'm still reading up on why and when I need to use the generator. I forget what she was towing/driving but she talked about her generator, saying it should be run often???? I didn't want to sound like a fool and ask why. But her's was in for carburetor repair because she hasn't ran hers regurlary. And I'm still scratching my head. /Mikey
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1681
Regarding Jenson

Mikensalleyt
Fortunately the Jensen radio has not been an issue for us yet. However, I have talked to three others that have come thru the campgrounds this winter and all three have lost their Jensen radios. Of the three one has had it replace 3 times and another has had theirs replaced twice.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
tks for the info and I did read that thread. One thing I've heard from folks in the waiting room (sounds like a hospital), one lady told me to always check that the repairs have been done and to your satisfaction prior to leaving the shop.

And I'm still reading up on why and when I need to use the generator. I forget what she was towing/driving but she talked about her generator, saying it should be run often???? I didn't want to sound like a fool and ask why. But her's was in for carburetor repair because she hasn't ran hers regurlary. And I'm still scratching my head. /Mikey
You need to run this often, if you do not the gas will change to laquer and ruin the carb. Just like your Lawn mower. Also by running it it keeps the oil circulating
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Not only does the generator need to be run occasionally (I run mine every other month), but it also needs to be run under load. I use an electric heater that loads it about 50%.

If you do not run the generator under load, it won't adequately clear out the carburetor.

I also put some Stabil into the gas tank when doing so. Of course, in the summer months, you are using the same gas tank for both generator and engine, the Stabil won't last for more than the current tank.

But at least if you Stabil the tank prior to running the genny, you will get some of the Stabil through and into the carb.

Hint; do this when the gas tank is half full, so you won't have to pour more Stabil in than necessary. But the genny won't start if the tank is less than 1/4 full - it's a safety feature.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

THOR #1706
When you say run it on a load, what do I need to turn on and run/operate? tks/Mikey
Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy53 View Post
Mikensalleyt
Fortunately the Jensen radio has not been an issue for us yet. However, I have talked to three others that have come thru the campgrounds this winter and all three have lost their Jensen radios. Of the three one has had it replace 3 times and another has had theirs replaced twice.
mmm... sounds like a replacement is needed to delay any further or future probs. Makes me wonder what is a suitable replacement for the Jensen system that will work. Since I need and want my cams to work with the system. Do I upgrade my Jensen or find something compatible to replace it? tks/Mikey
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Depending on how you feel about Jensen's quality as a brand you could always upgrade to a better Jensen:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html
The advantage here is that the cameras work exactly the same on the upgraded one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #13

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
I run my generator with both ACs on for loading. Run it like you would connected to shore power for about 1 hour every 4-5 weeks.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, challenger, problems, thor