Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Macerator

Knowing that in several threads, Macerators have been mentioned...
We saw an ad for Sewer Solution by Valterra in Motorhome Magazine.
In addition, there is FloJet & SeaFlo, etc.
What is your experience with these things and which brand works best?

Thanks all !!

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I have the Sewer Solution and absolutely love it. Have been using it for about 9 years without any issues.

I could be really wrong, but I think the other two are more about cleaning out your tanks. While the Sewer Solution apparently is advertised as a clean-out devise, I use it as a macerator.

I've talked about it a couple of times here. If you search my posts you'll find more info. on it. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me & I'll be happy to answer.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
I have the Sewer Solution and absolutely love it. Have been using it for about 9 years without any issues.

I could be really wrong, but I think the other two are more about cleaning out your tanks. While the Sewer Solution apparently is advertised as a clean-out devise, I use it as a macerator.

I've talked about it a couple of times here. If you search my posts you'll find more info. on it. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me & I'll be happy to answer.
Thank you ! Your opinion counts and the fact that you have used it for some time speaks well for the device. I really do not know why we have not gotten one before now !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I've used the sewer solution for years. I bought it the first year they came out, I believe. I'm on my second, as plastic won't last forever*. I won't use anything else if I have a spigot available for the water hose. I guess in a way it is a macerator in that the water jet breaks up the solids and forces them down the hose. Of course I also carry a regular sewer hose for times when there is no spigot. Also look up "water thief", this is a handy device that adapts an unthreaded water hose to a spigot for a hose. (may need a hose clamp)

I also own a brand new macerator that I got for a great price. I've yet to try it out though. I think it will be a PITA, because of its need for 12V DC. I imagine the current draw is significant also. (I just checked a random macerator on the web. Its current was 20 amps. That's a bunch of power. (240 watts)

Make sure you get extra hose for the sewer solution. IIRC, it only comes with 10 feet. Using standard PVC fittings, the sewer solution can also be adapted to use rigid PVC pipe. At our last home, there was a sewer cleanout located about 50 feet from the trailer. I dumped our tanks there with the sewer solution and 4 10 foot lengths of PVC pipe(1 Inch, I think).

The water jet on the Sewer Solution rotates to allow it to be used for back flushing the tanks. That works great also.

I say, "GO FOR IT"

Ken

*Unless you throw it in the ocean, but that's another story.

'
Old 08-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I've used the sewer solution for years.

I say, "GO FOR IT"

Ken

'

Thank you Ken ! Sounds like it is a done deal for us !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
PPL has the Sewer Solution kit on sale.

Sewer Solution for sale from PPL Motor Homes - PPL Motor Homes
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
thankyou !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
If I may suggest before you settle on the Sewer Solution have a wee look at this video in another thread?
Comment on tank flushing :
From doing quite a bit of research it really looks like most of the “tank flushing options” on the market do not in fact flush the tanks unless they have a “straight line into the tank. The exception of course is the wand option and/or the tornado options

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/thor-gray-black-water-valve-4451-2.html

TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #9

THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
If I may suggest before you settle on the Sewer Solution have a wee look at this video in another thread?
Comment on tank flushing :
From doing quite a bit of research it really looks like most of the “tank flushing options” on the market do not in fact flush the tanks unless they have a “straight line into the tank. The exception of course is the wand option and/or the tornado options

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/thor-gray-black-water-valve-4451-2.html

I agree totally. However, if the OP is interested in a macerator-type product like the Sewer Solution. From that standpoint, it's a great product.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
I agree totally. However, if the OP is interested in a macerator-type product like the Sewer Solution. From that standpoint, it's a great product.
We have seen that thread and the videos ... our black water tank is directly below the toilet and we have been able to keep it pretty clean, from what we can see !!

We, also, think the Tornado flusher/rinser would be good for us since the tank is in close proximity to the toilet.

Just watched the video on this Valtera Tank Flusher.
Valterra A01-0184VP Master Blaster Tank Wand

so many options !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
In the Axis 25.2 we have a couple of bends to contend with even if we were to use the dump straight out the compartment ... (additional 90-degree bend if we flow out the floor of the compartment) ... with either a hydraulic or electric macerator assist. Looks like the potential advantage for either macerator would probably be to pump up hill with a smaller hose and not have to have a large dump hose hook-up etc.. However, for tank cleaning and flushing we will probably need to add a wand and/or direct tank wall flushing rather than depending on “back flush around the bends” for our situation. Thank you for all the input.
Best Regards
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
In the Axis 25.2 we have a couple of bends to contend with even if we were to use the dump straight out the compartment ... (additional 90-degree bend if we flow out the floor of the compartment) ... with either a hydraulic or electric macerator assist. Looks like the potential advantage for either macerator would probably be to pump up hill with a smaller hose and not have to have a large dump hose hook-up etc.. However, for tank cleaning and flushing we will probably need to add a wand and/or direct tank wall flushing rather than depending on “back flush around the bends” for our situation. Thank you for all the input.
Best Regards
In the video I watched for the Valtera, there are two options...
1) straight pipe with high pressure tip on the end for tanks below the toilet
2) a bendable pipe with a pressure tipe with several water outlets on the tip

I went to Amazon to find this information...after looking at Sewer Solution and the ensuing videos...showing that most of those items really do not flush out the tank well.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-B840...ucts+tank+wand

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ucts+tank+wand
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 AM   #13

THOR #4719
Let's face it. No matter how clean you get the black water tank, the next person to sit on the toilet gets it dirty again. My approach is to dump it when it needs it. Make sure that there is alway enough liquid in the tank to allow it to slosh around. Always make sure there is bio active deodorant in the tank. When we get home from a trip, I flush as thoroughly as I can with a hose down the toilet. I try to never let it be totally dry unless winterizing.

Not the only way, but has worked for a long time for me with several RVs.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Let's face it. No matter how clean you get the black water tank, the next person to sit on the toilet gets it dirty again. My approach is to dump it when it needs it. Make sure that there is alway enough liquid in the tank to allow it to slosh around. Always make sure there is bio active deodorant in the tank. When we get home from a trip, I flush as thoroughly as I can with a hose down the toilet. I try to never let it be totally dry unless winterizing.

Not the only way, but has worked for a long time for me with several RVs.

Ken
Ken...Ron read your message and sez that is exactly what we have done for years and it works well...we maintain while on the road, dump when necessary and clean when we get home. During extended stays in the driveway, we flush the toilet to keep water in the tank.

We appreciate your feedback !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
I try to never let it be totally dry unless winterizing.
Both our waste tanks are never dry, even when winterizing I pour any excess antifreeze in the tanks (and traps). Of course I don't ever dry winterize either--don't have a decent enough compressor for that.

I've done similar procedures that you both use for years without any tank issues (even before the Axis).

Of course you could really flush out the black tank like we inadvertently did on our last camping trip:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...rein-4825.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:22 AM   #16

THOR #3016
And for those of us who don't winterize, I make sure we have enough water in the black tank to prevent major dehydration in addition to a bio pack, which seems to cause nasty odor.

When we dump for the last time on a trip I make sure we pour several pans of hot water down the toilet & knock any build-up loose. For us, that seems to work well. I can see water running clear (a relative term for a black tank!) and know I've done my best to get any piles out. Can't ask for better.

But that Sewer Solution ... I just like it. So much easier, and no worries about making sure the slinky hose is all cleaned out. Or at the right angle. Or doesn't have any leaks.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:09 AM   #17
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Both our waste tanks are never dry, even when winterizing I pour any excess antifreeze in the tanks (and traps). Of course I don't ever dry winterize either--don't have a decent enough compressor for that.

I've done similar procedures that you both use for years without any tank issues (even before the Axis).

Of course you could really flush out the black tank like we inadvertently did on our last camping trip:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...rein-4825.html
Jamie ... I just read your story about what happened in Cleveland...OMG !!
you dodged the bullet on that one !! A lesson for us all to remember ...
once again, forum members help one another even with embarrassing events !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
you dodged the bullet on that one !!
Yeah: Fortunately we had only gone out for a quick walk around the campground, and had not left for the day's activities or it would have been much worse.

We're now going to shut off the water supply whenever we leave the camper for an extended period of time.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #19

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah: Fortunately we had only gone out for a quick walk around the campground, and had not left for the day's activities or it would have been much worse.

We're now going to shut off the water supply whenever we leave the camper for an extended period of time.
That's a great idea and not that much trouble.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4119
Macerator

We have a sewer solution. We've been using it since around 2010; same one - 2 motorhomes. It is low tech, easy to use, easy to store in the black tank discharge compartment, and effective.

Machlin