Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Alabama
THOR #1772
2014 Thor Miramar batteries

Need help. My son and I were doing some routine maintenance on our 2014 Thor Miramar motor home. My son took out the batteries from the back compartment and cleaned them. We then put them back in and must have not hooked them up correctly. The power inverter started to smoke. We quickly disconnected the batteries. I can't find any pictures of how the 2 batteries are to be hooked up. Can anybody help me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	5608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	5609  

Old 07-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I am assuming they are two 12v batteries - they should be connected in parallel - positive to positive - and negative to negative... and of course then connected to coach... ideally the positive from one battery and the negative from the other to help balance the load.

Sounds like you connected them in series - positive on one battery to negative on the other and remaining terminals to the coach - which put 24 volts into the coach...

I'm afraid you likely 'let the magic smoke out' of at least the inverter - and possibly other 12v devices that might have been on... Hopefully most were off. I would check your CO/Propane detector - as that is always on... and verify things like furnace, lights, fridge (if RV fridge vs residential) all still work.

(I assumed they aren't 6 volt batteries - as that wouldn't have had the results you mentioned... Two 6 volts would connect in series to produce 12v to the coach... Wiring those incorrectly would only produce 6 volts - which wouldn't have resulted in smoke...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I always take a photo of things BEFORE I take it apart.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampi28 View Post
Need help. My son and I were doing some routine maintenance on our 2014 Thor Miramar motor home. My son took out the batteries from the back compartment and cleaned them. We then put them back in and must have not hooked them up correctly. The power inverter started to smoke. We quickly disconnected the batteries. I can't find any pictures of how the 2 batteries are to be hooked up. Can anybody help me?
It looks to me that you have 2 GC batteries (6V). If so, connect them with a wire in series e.g. + to - so the end result would be 12V to the coach cables connected to the remaining +/- posts.

Wiring Your Battery Bank in Series, Parallel, and Series Parallel

Here's your photo with some connection lines assuming that red ended cable dangling on the left side is your positive chassis line. I couldn't see the other chassis line in that picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	5612  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
I always take a photo of things BEFORE I take it apart.
Ditto. Just yesterday I had a flat on my mobility scooter and before I started the "very simple" repair I got out the camera.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
It looks to me that you have 2 GC batteries (6V). If so, connect them with a wire in series e.g. + to - so the end result would be 12V to the coach cables connected to the remaining +/- posts.
If they are 6V batteries - then as TyCreek said - connect in series...
In this case you wouldn't have supplied 'over-voltage' to the rig - but maybe you reversed polarity?? (pos and neg)
That would also 'let the magic smoke out' of many devices...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Typically the positive coach line will have a red end ... however that line with red that I referenced ^^^ above as a positive lead doesn't look like ones I've had in the past because usually the positive lead will have additional wire. A single thick wire like the one pictured, contrary to the red end, looks like a typical ground/negative lead due to the absence of any other tap leads..
Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If they are 6V batteries - then as TyCreek said - connect in series...
In this case you wouldn't have supplied 'over-voltage' to the rig - but maybe you reversed polarity?? (pos and neg)
That would also 'let the magic smoke out' of many devices...
I thought the same thing. But it sud have tripped the 100 amp breaker at the battery box.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I thought the same thing. But it sud have tripped the 100 amp breaker at the battery box.
A fuse or breaker isn't protection against reverse polarity (or excess voltage)... only against over current. Would need to be a diode to protect against reverse polarity.

Follow the wires to see where they go leaving the battery. The positive will go to the 100A fuse, the negative will connect to the chassis for ground.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)