Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 02:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7799
2015 Thor ACE

We bought our Thor ACE 29.3 on July 3, 2014 at Camping World in Savannah Ga. We made the trip from there to home which is Pa. Everything worked fine when we went camping that same week in July that year. Noticed a few minor things wrong but we were going to let them go as they didn't seem like a big deal at the time, things like the table between the captains chairs trim was coming off, the drawer under the shower was warped, the passenger air duct fin in dash air was broke, the wind out window over couch the little arm was bent and kept popping out off the bracket. After camping for two weeks came home and we were unable to go anywhere after that so we winterized it and stored RV in our garage with it plugged in. In June 2015 was going to make a trip to Ohio to a friends house. We still went there but this is where our nightmare begins. Noticed that when we took it out of garage the batteries were low, the lights were very dim in RV but was still able to start the engine. We were in a rush so filled with supplies and water and off we went. On arriving at friends house noticed that the microwave lights weren't on and it wouldn't work with generator started or being plugged in. 12 volt in dash work station wouldn't work. Batteries not wanting to charge. Awning and over head bunk were sporadic, would work sometimes then not work. The pin in electric step broke. Also noticed there was a slice at the very bottom of shower curtain as if maybe it had been cut with a box cutter. I just noticed this when I was wiping up the floor in bathroom but hadn't noticed it before. I called Thor and told them what was happening. They said, we needed to take it to service department. The closest to where we live and that would service RV was all the way in Akron Oh. which is 3 hrs from our home. I called Savannah then where we bought it and told them I thought this was a bit ridiculous isn't there anywhere closer to my home. They gave me two other numbers but they would not service it because I didn't purchase it there. When I hear this I started to think oh no what did we do. Did we make a bad decision on buying the Thor RV. We had no other choice but to call Akron Camping World service department. They was booked and had no opening until late July. I asked if this would be a problem with my factory warranty being that it was only good for 1 yr. and that year would be up on July 3rd. He said there shouldn't be but we had the extended warranty to back us up. We had bought a extended warranty when we purchased the RV but this is not the point everything happened under factory warranty and it surely was not our fault that they were booked up and had no opening to after the factory warranty date. So we traveled 3 hrs. to Akron and left the RV which they had for 2 months. Our camping was now over for this summer. We finally got the call that our RV was done. When we got there we were excited to get our new RV back and everything seemed to be okay. The problem was our fault for not looking at everything at the time. Our thinking at the time was the big things fixed, the electrical stuff, the awning, the over head bunk and batteries not staying charged. So with them saying it was a bad converter we took for granted that was the issue with the electrical and problems was all fixed. All these things were working at time when we picked it up, so we thought. Got home thinking all is good and just put RV in storage for winter. In June 2016 took RV out to get ready to go camping, started wiping things off and filling with supplies to go and noticed the arm on window was still bent and popping out of the bracket, air duct vent was not fixed, of course microwave was now working cause was replaced with new one, drawer was replaced, table top was fixed, the 12 volt in working station was fixed with fuse, pin was put in electric step, shower curtain was not and we knew this cause was told Thor warranty would not cover this because was out of warranty nor would the extented warranty, if we wanted fixed would have to pay out of pocket which would cost around $200, so we refused to pay that price to replace it. Anyhow we had a big problem as the batteries were low again and the awning and over head bunk would not work again. Also kind of a new problem but was like this when we first used the RV and we thought something was wrong but forgot to mention it when we had in for service with everything else that was wrong, was the water pump was vibrating and chattered very loudly. We were so displeased with the service we got at Akron and how long they had our RV so we decided to talk with Camping World in Savannah where we bought it. I was in tears and so unhappy with my brand new Thor ACE RV and what was happening. All this money spent on a brand new RV and all these things going wrong. I never had this many problems with my old RV. I was even wondering if this thing was a lemon. I even said to them how displeased I was with the RV and would think about trading in on something else if was given a fair trade and deal being that we've had so many problems. We were told if we came down there they would do us good and try to make things right with us. So we made an appointment in Aug 2016 to take RV there. So we made the long trip over 700 miles to Savannah Ga. We arrived there and had to stay at the hotel next door while they serviced our RV. After several days we told them this was costing us over a $100.00 a day to stay at hotel plus eating out and we needed to get this RV fixed so we could go back home. Now when we got there the awning and the bunk made us look like idiots both of them decided to work. As well as the batteries being fully charged. They said they could run an electrical test on the RV which would cost $199 and this would not be covered under the warranty. I didn't know what to say but okay we needed to get this thing checked for problems. I thought this should have been covered under warranty being that we needed to find the problem and it all started with the converter going bad in the first place. Of course the electrical test showed nothing, the electrical and RV proved to be fine. The batteries were holding a charge, and the awning worked as well as the over head bunk. They also fixed a leak on the roof where they drilled a hole in to install a satellite dish when we bought it and it just started to leak when we took it there so that wasn't done right in the first place either. Also when we got there the electric step would not stay out it kept retracting. This was a switch that they had to replace. The air duct vent piece was ordered as well as the water pump but would take a while to come in, so we were told to take the RV and go home and they would ship the parts to us and we could settle up the bill then. After coming home which was in September we had no where to go, and the RV was put back in storage again. Now the shower curtain again nothing was done because not covered under warranty. The only thing that was covered under warranty was the water pump not even the vent piece. After several months we called to see where parts were and was told we had to pay the bill of $535.00 before they sent us the water pump and the vent piece. So I ask? where were we given any special treatment or help. We went all that distance, spent money for gas in RV, had to stay several days at a hotel, and having to buy food to eat and all for what. What was made right. I even looked at other RV's while there thinking of trading in but the offer they made me was a joke. So I paid there bill and have the air duct vent and water pump which is now replaced and fixed. Now we are at today. It is June now and wanting to go camping in July. We got the RV out and the RV batteries are dead won't even hold a charge. We took into parts store and they had them checked, the are dead no life in them. We went and bought two new batteries which cost over $100 each. Here we go again. The awning won't come out and the bunk won't work. We have tried everything. The fuses are all good. All the lights work when on generator or when plugged in. Brand new batteries are fully charged. The in store switch is on. The slide out works. The microwave works. The key is not in the ignition nor is the coach running. I called the service manager that worked on the RV and he said you got some kind of electrical problem there you need to call Thor. I called Thor and talked to tech and explained all this, he said we need to take to somewhere where they can check out the electrical. Come on. This should have been done in the beginning. How many more times do we get ripped off now. This is a lemon if ever I saw one. Does anyone out there have any ideas. Please help have no more ideas here. Lemon or not what's your opinion?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

State: Utah
THOR #7797
Wow, you are the poster child for why

Anyone who buys a motor home needs to have a basic set of mechanical and electrical skills. I simply could not afford a motor home if I had to rely on MH dealers and shops. First their rates are ridiculously high. Second, they cant get you in and out in a decent time. Third, their work is most often second rate. I just replaced my ACE in-dash air blower for 60 dollars rather than the 600+quoted by a shop that couldn't get to the job for a month. I think the reality is, in your case that you are experiencing much of what most buyers of new motor homes and extended warranty experience. A lot of problems. The one year warranty on the coach is ridiculous as most people are only using the thing a few times a year. Extended warranty have so much fine print that along with co-pays you will never get your money out and will still be out of pocket. It is a sad reality in the custom toy business. Boats are the same thing. MH's and cruiser boats are custom built and no single one is the same as the last one. Quality control is always poor. Thor does a reasonably good job, but without skills, be prepared to have a hard go as a motor home owner. All of the things you mentioned are pretty trivial fixes for someone with simple electrical and mechanical skills. Hotel rooms are probably your most economical choice. Trailers and fifth wheels with standard trucks towing them are also a pretty good choice as there are many more places to work on standard trucks and who can and will work on trailers and fifth wheels but not MH's. Also, if you belong to a local RV club, there are often folks with a great deal of experience who can help with trailer and fifth wheel RV's. Not so much with MH's.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by plboots View Post
We bought our Thor ACE 29.3 on July 3, 2014 at Camping World in Savannah Ga. We made the trip from there to home which is Pa. Everything worked fine when we went camping that same week in July that year. Noticed a few minor things wrong but we were going to let them go as they didn't seem like a big deal at the time, things like the table between the captains chairs trim was coming off, the drawer under the shower was warped, the passenger air duct fin in dash air was broke, the wind out window over couch the little arm was bent and kept popping out off the bracket. After camping for two weeks came home and we were unable to go anywhere after that so we winterized it and stored RV in our garage with it plugged in. In June 2015 was going to make a trip to Ohio to a friends house. We still went there but this is where our nightmare begins. Noticed that when we took it out of garage the batteries were low, the lights were very dim in RV but was still able to start the engine. We were in a rush so filled with supplies and water and off we went. On arriving at friends house noticed that the microwave lights weren't on and it wouldn't work with generator started or being plugged in. 12 volt in dash work station wouldn't work. Batteries not wanting to charge. Awning and over head bunk were sporadic, would work sometimes then not work. The pin in electric step broke. Also noticed there was a slice at the very bottom of shower curtain as if maybe it had been cut with a box cutter. I just noticed this when I was wiping up the floor in bathroom but hadn't noticed it before. I called Thor and told them what was happening. They said, we needed to take it to service department. The closest to where we live and that would service RV was all the way in Akron Oh. which is 3 hrs from our home. I called Savannah then where we bought it and told them I thought this was a bit ridiculous isn't there anywhere closer to my home. They gave me two other numbers but they would not service it because I didn't purchase it there. When I hear this I started to think oh no what did we do. Did we make a bad decision on buying the Thor RV. We had no other choice but to call Akron Camping World service department. They was booked and had no opening until late July. I asked if this would be a problem with my factory warranty being that it was only good for 1 yr. and that year would be up on July 3rd. He said there shouldn't be but we had the extended warranty to back us up. We had bought a extended warranty when we purchased the RV but this is not the point everything happened under factory warranty and it surely was not our fault that they were booked up and had no opening to after the factory warranty date. So we traveled 3 hrs. to Akron and left the RV which they had for 2 months. Our camping was now over for this summer. We finally got the call that our RV was done. When we got there we were excited to get our new RV back and everything seemed to be okay. The problem was our fault for not looking at everything at the time. Our thinking at the time was the big things fixed, the electrical stuff, the awning, the over head bunk and batteries not staying charged. So with them saying it was a bad converter we took for granted that was the issue with the electrical and problems was all fixed. All these things were working at time when we picked it up, so we thought. Got home thinking all is good and just put RV in storage for winter. In June 2016 took RV out to get ready to go camping, started wiping things off and filling with supplies to go and noticed the arm on window was still bent and popping out of the bracket, air duct vent was not fixed, of course microwave was now working cause was replaced with new one, drawer was replaced, table top was fixed, the 12 volt in working station was fixed with fuse, pin was put in electric step, shower curtain was not and we knew this cause was told Thor warranty would not cover this because was out of warranty nor would the extented warranty, if we wanted fixed would have to pay out of pocket which would cost around $200, so we refused to pay that price to replace it. Anyhow we had a big problem as the batteries were low again and the awning and over head bunk would not work again. Also kind of a new problem but was like this when we first used the RV and we thought something was wrong but forgot to mention it when we had in for service with everything else that was wrong, was the water pump was vibrating and chattered very loudly. We were so displeased with the service we got at Akron and how long they had our RV so we decided to talk with Camping World in Savannah where we bought it. I was in tears and so unhappy with my brand new Thor ACE RV and what was happening. All this money spent on a brand new RV and all these things going wrong. I never had this many problems with my old RV. I was even wondering if this thing was a lemon. I even said to them how displeased I was with the RV and would think about trading in on something else if was given a fair trade and deal being that we've had so many problems. We were told if we came down there they would do us good and try to make things right with us. So we made an appointment in Aug 2016 to take RV there. So we made the long trip over 700 miles to Savannah Ga. We arrived there and had to stay at the hotel next door while they serviced our RV. After several days we told them this was costing us over a $100.00 a day to stay at hotel plus eating out and we needed to get this RV fixed so we could go back home. Now when we got there the awning and the bunk made us look like idiots both of them decided to work. As well as the batteries being fully charged. They said they could run an electrical test on the RV which would cost $199 and this would not be covered under the warranty. I didn't know what to say but okay we needed to get this thing checked for problems. I thought this should have been covered under warranty being that we needed to find the problem and it all started with the converter going bad in the first place. Of course the electrical test showed nothing, the electrical and RV proved to be fine. The batteries were holding a charge, and the awning worked as well as the over head bunk. They also fixed a leak on the roof where they drilled a hole in to install a satellite dish when we bought it and it just started to leak when we took it there so that wasn't done right in the first place either. Also when we got there the electric step would not stay out it kept retracting. This was a switch that they had to replace. The air duct vent piece was ordered as well as the water pump but would take a while to come in, so we were told to take the RV and go home and they would ship the parts to us and we could settle up the bill then. After coming home which was in September we had no where to go, and the RV was put back in storage again. Now the shower curtain again nothing was done because not covered under warranty. The only thing that was covered under warranty was the water pump not even the vent piece. After several months we called to see where parts were and was told we had to pay the bill of $535.00 before they sent us the water pump and the vent piece. So I ask? where were we given any special treatment or help. We went all that distance, spent money for gas in RV, had to stay several days at a hotel, and having to buy food to eat and all for what. What was made right. I even looked at other RV's while there thinking of trading in but the offer they made me was a joke. So I paid there bill and have the air duct vent and water pump which is now replaced and fixed. Now we are at today. It is June now and wanting to go camping in July. We got the RV out and the RV batteries are dead won't even hold a charge. We took into parts store and they had them checked, the are dead no life in them. We went and bought two new batteries which cost over $100 each. Here we go again. The awning won't come out and the bunk won't work. We have tried everything. The fuses are all good. All the lights work when on generator or when plugged in. Brand new batteries are fully charged. The in store switch is on. The slide out works. The microwave works. The key is not in the ignition nor is the coach running. I called the service manager that worked on the RV and he said you got some kind of electrical problem there you need to call Thor. I called Thor and talked to tech and explained all this, he said we need to take to somewhere where they can check out the electrical. Come on. This should have been done in the beginning. How many more times do we get ripped off now. This is a lemon if ever I saw one. Does anyone out there have any ideas. Please help have no more ideas here. Lemon or not what's your opinion?

Could you go through this and organize it into meaningful paragraphs. Then someone might read it.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:28 AM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
so, why did you go to camping world of Savannah? Also, RV need to be run all the time, you need to run all equipment each week, You cannot store the RV for the winter and expect it to run in the spring. I have a routine, each week i run each system. Last week was the Propane system, heater, stove, water heater, refrigerator. The next week is all electrical systems.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Post is 4 years old. Many of the problems in the long post are owner induced or owners lack of diligence. I wouldn’t bother….
Old 08-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Maybe he didn’t properly fill his fresh water tank. Seems that creates a “string” of problems.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Maybe he didn’t properly fill his fresh water tank. Seems that creates a “string” of problems.
Hmmm I missed that but I missed a lot in the post as it was extremely difficult to read. I scrolled down and saw a 15 page single paragraph and gave up. Then noticed the "1 post wonder" thing and no return after 4 year and now I'm thinking why am I wasting time this morning on it. Bored I reckon.

On to more exciting, and useful threads.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote