Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12740
2015 Thor Challenger 37TB upholstery

Hello everyone,
I am a typical RV'er who started as young man with tents, then to pop-ups, travel trailers, fifth wheel, Class C, and now a Class A Thor Challenger. The Challenger appealed to my wife and I because we are a big family and are now adding grandchildren into the equation. Overall, I have been happy with the coach, although it requires constant care and feeding (like most do). My biggest concern now is the upholstery....it all started peeling shortly after the coaches 3rd birthday and is now simply out of control. I am curious as to whether anyone has repaired or replaced their Thor furniture (captains chairs, dinette cushions, and sofa) and if so, what is the better option between repair and replace. The sky is certainly not the limit for me cost wise (otherwise I may be in a Newell or a Marathon Prevost) but I want to keep the coach looking and functioning like new. I live in Punta Gorda, Florida (Fort Myers area) so I would love any local guidance for repair, but I would like to hear from anyone.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
I have a 2014 Hurricane and my captain chairs are also peeling just at the seat cushion seams. Those are the seats I used most often since I am the only one living in it. I have been taping over the exposed areas with matching tape but that is only a temporary fix. I plan to just order seat covers online for now since I am also not sure of what it might cost to re-upholster them, even in Mexico. I spend my winters near border towns and have seen some good work on other RVs done down there but I don’t know how long their fabrics last. I am also interested in suggestion from others.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #12740
Thank you, OKNative. I ordered seat covers from Amazon...I could get you the part number if you want, for about $65 each and they work ok. My seat is much worse as I spend much more time in it then the others get used. Can I ask what kind of tape you are using to patch your seats? I have just been putting sheets over everything so that the peeling flakes don't stick to the back of sweaty legs. I would like to try the tape.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitner View Post
Thank you, OKNative. I ordered seat covers from Amazon...I could get you the part number if you want, for about $65 each and they work ok. My seat is much worse as I spend much more time in it then the others get used. Can I ask what kind of tape you are using to patch your seats? I have just been putting sheets over everything so that the peeling flakes don't stick to the back of sweaty legs. I would like to try the tape.

I found the seat covers on Camping World and Amazon that look like they will match my chairs but thanks. The tape is gold colored duck tape that matches my gold upholstery. But it also peels eventually so not a permanent fix.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
same issue

I have the same issue on my 14 37gt. Mainly seat bottoms and armrests. I have done a lot of research on this recently and it seems its common to the flexsteel seats and material is supplied by thor as I read. I am trying a fabric "paint" to see if it will defer the issue but replacement is the only true option and reapolsetry seems to be more that buying a new seat lol.

interesting quote from this link here :
" ....contacted Flexsteel, the manufacturer of the furniture and they advised me that they were aware of the problem but would do nothing because Damon/Thor supplied the specific material. They said it was inferior compared to the material Flexsteel normally supplies."

https://thor-industries.pissedconsum...601322029.html

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ling-2485.html

Tags
challenger, thor, upholstery