Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2016, 03:37 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
I'm getting an alignment at an independant truck alignment shop recommended by the Ford Dealer. Neither they nor camping world is equipped to do the job. 'll get the specs and turn them in to Thor and not hold my breath.

Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
In fords defense how are they suppose to know how much weight or what your doing with their chassis?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #23
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
In fords defense how are they suppose to know how much weight or what your doing with their chassis?
They certainly don't... but if the manual states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary, free of charge during a limited period: • .... • Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first. • ...
then I expect Ford will pay for it...

I got both my RV's beyond 12,000 miles - so didn't pursue this myself - but would clearly expect on a new unit.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #24

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
I have a 2014 Vegas, it handled poorly, pulled to the right, was squirrely on the highway. Went to the local Ford dealer, Gary Yeomans Ford in Daytona, an excellent service department, equipped to realign motorhomes and large trucks. They lined up the front end, it was way out, and checked the rear end as well. While on the rack, I had a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. I wanted a safety factor in case of a front tire blow-out, but it also improved the handling greatly. The coach is a pleasure to drive. I will say it is far more fun to drive than our 2010 Tiffin an an F-53 chassis. That was terrible to drive. Thor DID pay for the alignment, after I sent in the $240.00 invoice. Cant complain there.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Sent off an email to Ford Customer Service asking meaning of warranty wording.

For reference: Here is the exact wording in the 2015 E-350 Warranty Guide. Notice the asterisked items from page 13 and their explanation on page 14:

Maintenance/Wear
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. See your Owner’s Manual. Some examples of maintenance and normal wear are: • oil changes • oils, lubricants, other fluids • oil/air filters • tire rotation/inflation • cleaning/polishing • clutch linings • wiper blades* • wheel alignments and tire balancing* • brake pad/lining*
Page 13

* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary, free of charge during a limited period: • Wiper blade replacements will be provided during the first six months in service, regardless of miles driven. • Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first. • Brake pad/lining replacements will be provided during the first 12 months or 18,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.
Page 14
We have a 2015 F53 Ford chassis on our 2016 Hurricane. Our Warranty Guide says exactly the same thing, on the same page numbers.

I am currently in touch with Ford Motorhome Customer Assistance, trying to find a Ford dealer or authorized shop in our area that could do an alignment for us. So far, they haven't found one within an hour's drive...she is still searching.

Not sure if we will be successful in getting our alignment covered by Ford, but we'll give it a try anyway. We're still within the 12 month/12000 mile window.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
FYI - Just picked up a 2016 Vegas 25.2 with a 2016 Chassis 6 speed. Then manual still says the same. see pic

Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
We have a 2015 F53 Ford chassis on our 2016 Hurricane. Our Warranty Guide says exactly the same thing, on the same page numbers.

I am currently in touch with Ford Motorhome Customer Assistance, trying to find a Ford dealer or authorized shop in our area that could do an alignment for us. So far, they haven't found one within an hour's drive...she is still searching.

Not sure if we will be successful in getting our alignment covered by Ford, but we'll give it a try anyway. We're still within the 12 month/12000 mile window.
Posting an update on my search for somewhere to get an alignment on our Hurricane.

This has been a very frustrating and confusing experience!

I called Ford Motorhome Customer Service and asked the young woman to help me find a Ford dealer near me that could perform an alignment on our 29' class A RV.

She did some searching (based on ZIP) and got back with me a short time later. Results were disappointing. Our local Ford dealer cannot accommodate our RV. Another Ford dealer about 70 miles west could not do it because their rack is broken. Another Ford dealer a little farther away could not accommodate our rig.

She asked if I wanted her to check farther away and I said yes. She got back with me regarding 2 more Ford dealers in Tucson - again, neither can do work on the F53 motorhome chassis.

I told her I'd be willing to travel farther (like to Phoenix - 3-4 hours depending on what side of town) and that I'd take it upon myself to contact some Ford dealers in that area later.

She did say that if the work (under warranty) was performed by an "outside" vendor, Ford would NOT pick up the cost unless something was broken, defective or otherwise the fault of the manufacturer...and of course that would require documentation.

I told her that didn't seem too fair that since it was almost impossible to find a Ford authorized shop anywhere within 200-300 miles of us that would do the work.

So in the meantime, I've called another couple Ford dealers in the greater Phoenix area - no luck.

I then called the RV dealer in Tucson where we bought the coach. They don't do alignments, but referred me to a Ford dealer and an outside shop. The Ford dealer doesn't do the alignments, but referred me to an outside shop. They will do it for around $260.

The other outside shop I was referred to does alignments and estimated the cost at $150. Not sure why there is such a big difference in price between the two shops.

So at this point I don't see any way for us to get this elusive "free" alignment under the warranty guidelines of Ford Motor Company. Our 12 month window will be up mid-May.

I'm just so surprised at the lack of authorized Ford dealers that can work on the F53 chassis.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #28

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Neeliec - I too called the Ford Motorhome Customer Service number. When I asked them for the closest Ford dealer I specified I wanted a Ford dealer that also handled commercial trucks. They gave me Gator Ford just east of Tampa (I live in Tampa). They are right off I4 (about 3 miles from my RV dealer. When I drive by Gator Ford they have hundreds of large commercial Ford vehicles in their sales lot -- many of them on F-350, F-450, and F-53 chassis. You would think that there must be a Ford dealer in the greater Phoenix area that sells commercial Ford vehicles.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I could not find any Ford dealer in the Miami area that would touch my Vegas or Axis for an alignment. I finally took them to a large truck repair facility and they did an excellent job on both my Vegas and Axis... for $150. You would think that Ford dealers that sell large trucks would be able to do alignments on them, but apparently not.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 AM   #30

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Ford Motorhome Service Support

Ford Motorhome Service is not helpful in the least, in my opinion.

It took me 7 weeks, 2 Ford Dealers, to get front king pins replaced, and a 4 wheel alignment. Most Ford heavy truck centers flat out refuse to service RV's, and I cannot blame them. Plenty of more lucrative and better paying work on commercial vehicles.

Quit fighting THOR and Ford and get it aligned. Pay for it and send THOR the bill, sometimes they pay. Those tires on your rig are $500 each, and you can ruin them in less than 2500 miles. That is much more expensive to you than paying for the alignment. NEVER use a dealer if you are paying for it. Usually substandard work at exorbitant prices.

Remember how you got treated by THOR and Ford when you buy your next rig.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #31

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Just got the Axis back from getting the front end alignment and Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. It now drives beautifully down the road and very straight. Now I will send the alignment before and after spec sheets to Thor in the hopes they will reimburse me.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Just got the Axis back from getting the front end alignment and Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. It now drives beautifully down the road and very straight. Now I will send the alignment before and after spec sheets to Thor in the hopes they will reimburse me.
So...I just got an alignment, too. How do we know if the before and after numbers are significantly different?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 AM   #33

THOR #3483
Axis Alignme

Well, took the new Axis to my local truck and RV repair shop for the alignment. Had the Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed while it was there. It drives beautifully now and the Saf-T-Plus made a huge difference with the drive, barely have to keep a hand on the wheel now. Now, I will send the before and after spec sheet to Thor to see if they will give me some reimbursement. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't make a purchase unless an alignment was done first... don't know if that would be possible, but, I would try.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #34

THOR #3483
Honestly, I am not an alignment expert but I had to pay for two casters to make it correct and the service manager said that it appeared Ford only did a rough alignment when the chassis was made. Nothing was done after the coach was installed. It just seems like a poor aspect of the entire industry...
Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Since these chassis are cut in two, stretched, and then welded together after leaving the Ford Factory and before the motorhome is built on it by Thor, just how much alignment can Ford be held responsible for? It's a tough call in my opinion -- a little grey area. I really would like Ford to offer longer wheelbase chassis in order to stop this stretching requirement which makes so little sense.

Also, what exactly do they adjust in a four-wheel alignment? I've never heard of cars or trucks with solid live rear axles suspended by leaf springs needing a rear alignment. That's not to say it's not done, I'm just curious to learn what they align.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Also, what exactly do they adjust in a four-wheel alignment? I've never heard of cars or trucks with solid live rear axles suspended by leaf springs needing a rear alignment.
I believe they are checking or adjusting the Thrust Angle to ensure the rear axle is properly aligned to the front axle/suspension. Improper thrust angle will result in a vehicle pulling sideways. Ever see a car going straight down the road at an angle where, when the have the wheel pointed straight, you can see all four tires?

Verification of the Thrust Angle is especially important on motorhomes that have had a chassis stretch. 1/8 inch of additional length of frame metal on one side would throw out the thrust angle significantly. One would think that MORyde or whoever does the frame extensions would be required to checking the thrust angle prior to shipment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I believe they are checking or adjusting the Thrust Angle to ensure the rear axle is properly aligned to the front axle/suspension. Improper thrust angle will result in a vehicle pulling sideways. Ever see a car going straight down the road at an angle where, when the have the wheel pointed straight, you can see all four tires?

Verification of the Thrust Angle is especially important on motorhomes that have had a chassis stretch. 1/8 inch of additional length of frame metal on one side would throw out the thrust angle significantly. One would think that MORyde or whoever does the frame extensions would be required to checking the thrust angle prior to shipment.
A MORyde video I've seen claims they align the chassis before welding it back together. I would expect no less. There is no way a shop like that will get things off by anything close to 1/8-inch. I actually worked in a much smaller shop while in high school where truck frames were stretched. It isn't that hard. And I think MORyde uses some kind of jig based on what I saw on video that should result in straight frames.

Occasionally I've seen a semi trailer dog tracking when the trailer axle(s) were installed in wrong holes of frame, but there we are talking about being inches off alignment across a distance of just 3-feet or so.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what they adjust on a live axle with leaf springs that is not intended to be adjustable. This link covers it well:

Tire Tech Information - Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by from link
Front-End, Thrust Angle and Four-Wheel Alignment

The different types of alignments offered today are front-end, thrust angle, and four-wheel. During a front-end alignment, only the front axle's angles are measured and adjusted. Front-end alignments are fine for some vehicles featuring a solid rear axle, but confirming that the front tires are positioned directly in front of the rear tires is also important.

On a solid rear axle vehicle, this requires a thrust angle alignment that allows the technician to confirm that all four wheels are "square" with each other. Thrust angle alignments also identify vehicles that would "dog track" going down the road with the rear end offset from the front. If the thrust angle isn't zero on many solid rear axle vehicles, a trip to a frame straightening shop is required to return the rear axle to its original location.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #38

THOR #3483
Quote:
Honestly, I am not an alignment expert but I had to pay for two casters to make it correct and the service manager said that it appeared Ford only did a rough alignment when the chassis was made. Nothing was done after the coach was installed. It just seems like a poor aspect of the entire industry...
Sorry, I meant the caster adjustment required additional parts.... Like I said, I don't know anything about alignments other than how it drives....
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #39
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I disagree with the comment that it is a poor aspect of the entire industry. Weight has an impact on alignment. The coach can be perfectly aligned when it leaves the factory and the minuet you add a full tank of fuel, fresh water, passengers and you ton of stuff the alignment is off. That is why the recommendation is to get the vehicle aligned after loading.

Also, if you and the other passengers are not sitting in the vehicle when it is aligned you should compensate by using some form of sandbags, barbells etc in the positions that the passengers will be riding.

What is sad within the industry is the RV manufacturers should pay for the initial alignment within the first 30 days of delivery to the owner. Ford, in a way, is correct to decline warranty service for an alignment unless it can be proven a factory defect caused the issue. My Ford dealer told me many years ago that for them to do an alignment under warranty there must be a complaint. I was told to use the complaint that "in my opinion the tires are wearing unevenly". That is the justification I have used since and never had a problem.

Personally I believe every RV manufacturer should load the vehicle to GVWR, have it aligned and then tell all of us to pound sound when it comes to alignments.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I disagree with the comment that it is a poor aspect of the entire industry. Weight has an impact on alignment. The coach can be perfectly aligned when it leaves the factory and the minuet you add a full tank of fuel, fresh water, passengers and you ton of stuff the alignment is off. That is why the recommendation is to get the vehicle aligned after loading.

Also, if you and the other passengers are not sitting in the vehicle when it is aligned you should compensate by using some form of sandbags, barbells etc in the positions that the passengers will be riding.

What is sad within the industry is the RV manufacturers should pay for the initial alignment within the first 30 days of delivery to the owner. Ford, in a way, is correct to decline warranty service for an alignment unless it can be proven a factory defect caused the issue. My Ford dealer told me many years ago that for them to do an alignment under warranty there must be a complaint. I was told to use the complaint that "in my opinion the tires are wearing unevenly". That is the justification I have used since and never had a problem.

Personally I believe every RV manufacturer should load the vehicle to GVWR, have it aligned and then tell all of us to pound sound when it comes to alignments.
If by "entire industry" we mean the collaboration of Ford, MORyde, and Thor in this case, then based on reports here I'm also discouraged with the lack of clarity, which I think may very well be intentional.

I'm skeptical that loading a motorhome, which may not represent much more than 10% of empty weight, will throw the alignment off enough to notice, or at all for that matter. And like you said, they could load the MH near GVWR before alignment. Their claim seems a smoke screen at best.

And in the unlikely event that it were actually necessary to load a motorhome before alignment, I would also see that as an "industry" failure. There is no excuse to manufacture a vehicle so sensitive to loading. As we've discussed in other threads, from automobiles to heavy-duty trucks, variation in loading which far exceed that of motorhomes' doesn't force a realignment.

I think the "loading claim" is simply their way to deflect responsibility.