Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If by "entire industry" we mean the collaboration of Ford, MORyde, and Thor in this case, then based on reports here I'm also discouraged with the lack of clarity, which I think may very well be intentional.

I'm skeptical that loading a motorhome, which may not represent much more than 10% of empty weight, will throw the alignment off enough to notice, or at all for that matter. And like you said, they could load the MH near GVWR before alignment. Their claim seems a smoke screen at best.

And in the unlikely event that it were actually necessary to load a motorhome before alignment, I would also see that as an "industry" failure. There is no excuse to manufacture a vehicle so sensitive to loading. As we've discussed in other threads, from automobiles to heavy-duty trucks, variation in loading which far exceed that of motorhomes' doesn't force a realignment.

I think the "loading claim" is simply their way to deflect responsibility.
I would just say when it comes down to the real point, when you spend money on a new product like a RV, you expect clarity from the seller instead of basically being told to "pound sand." Not acceptable in my book. The shop that did my alignment has many years of experience and commented that even the initial Ford alignment during the build is roughly done at best. Not aligning the rig again after the coach is added is just plain cost cutting neglect. Not going to beat a dead horse here. Just think that future owners should be forewarned.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #42

THOR #3483
Baddad53-
It is a small world when you actually meet someone that is on the Thor Forum. Nice to meet you during your lunch stop at Corvina Beach where we got to swap a few stories. Got to have a white knuckle drive in the gusty wind on the WB I10 by Palm Springs. Very glad I at least had the Saf-T-plus stabilizer just installed or it would have been much worse. Home safe. Safe travels to you.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #43

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
State: Florida
THOR #3836
Smile alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
Ford claims that they align the chassis at the factory, and that once a coach builder drops a body on top of it, it should be aligned again, by the coach builder.

This is true. In my coach the alignment was way, way, off. Once the front end is aligned, the entire chassis will also need a 4 wheel alignment. This is not an easy, or cheap alignment, if it is out, and they all are. You will need a proper heavy truck alignment center for this check, and fix. Not the local tire dealer.

Expect the entire procedure to cost $500 to $1000, depending on how far out the rear wheels are. Even just a front end alignment on this chassis is more costly, and centering the steering wheel properly is also more involved than most.

THOR may or may not pay for the front end. They usually won't pay for the rear, 4 wheel alignment. Ford won't pay. You must have these alignments done first, for you to have any chance of the coach driving correctly. Many find the need for after market fixes, but until you have made certain the entire motor home is moving down the road straight, you should not spend money on anything else.
my axis is a 2015. after buying it in Tampa fl I found on the way home it was pulling to the right. ford says its not their problem its thors. I took it to a commercial truck repair and they replaced the caster bushings. I then filed a claim with thor. it took 3 months but they payed it. total was 256.00 dollars
Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #44

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
My dealer said to wait on the alignment to see if there were steering or wear before doing the alignment. I have no steering problems and no sign of uneven wear.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #45

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by srolfe View Post
My dealer said to wait on the alignment to see if there were steering or wear before doing the alignment. I have no steering problems and no sign of uneven wear.
Don't wait until you ruin a tire or two. They are $250 a piece. The chances of the alignment being within specs is small. If you are planning on taking any long trips you don't want to be looking for a good alignment shop that will take something as big as an Axis. The $150 for an alignment at an excellent shop relatively near me was worth the peace of mind. On my first RV I didn't have it done and had to pay for two tires and the alignment along with all the complaints of wasting two days. Wasn't worth it to me.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #46

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
my axis is a 2015. after buying it in Tampa fl I found on the way home it was pulling to the right. ford says its not their problem its thors. I took it to a commercial truck repair and they replaced the caster bushings. I then filed a claim with thor. it took 3 months but they payed it. total was 256.00 dollars
when I picked the motorhome up in Tampa the dealer
camping world told me to bring it back when it was fully loaded for a alignment. it was pulling so bad on the right on the freeway on the way home I could not bring it back, 300 plus miles. I took it up to Melvin's in st Augustine, he works on all heavy trucks and motorhomes. he found the caster bushings where not the correct ones, and the toe was off over 1-1/2 degrees. the only way to correct caster on a twin I beam is to change bushings, they come in different degrees. I have never herd of wait until it brakes in my motorhome only has 2000 miles on it. I hope this helps
Old 03-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by srolfe
My unit had a sticker next to the drivers seat and a sticker next to the control panel both saying "get an alignment", in addition my dealer stressed at least twice during the walkthrough that we should get an alignment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #48

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Baddad53-
It is a small world when you actually meet someone that is on the Thor Forum. Nice to meet you during your lunch stop at Corvina Beach where we got to swap a few stories. Got to have a white knuckle drive in the gusty wind on the WB I10 by Palm Springs. Very glad I at least had the Saf-T-plus stabilizer just installed or it would have been much worse. Home safe. Safe travels to you.
Nice to meet you too. We stayed at Sam's Family Spa in Desert Hot Springs to soak a bit from our trip to Yuma. The next day we drove through the San Gorgonio Pass (Banning I 10) - wow! not fun but it was suppose to get worst the next day so we traveled it on Saturday. Got 8.3 mpg that trip with jeep in tow. I was behind a DP with toad most of the way but he slowed to 45 so I passed him took it at 50 to 55 mph.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/mem...picture192.jpg

Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #49

THOR #3710
Hello Ed...we are finally suppose to take delivery this Friday on our 2016 Thor Axis....we are very nervous about the pre delivery inspection...is this done before all the sales paperwork is signed and completed...and all these postings regarding wheel alignment problems are very disturbing...we ordered the RV at a local camper and RV show so have yet to drive one...how will we as novices know there is an alignment issue when doing the test drive...and if there is a problem does the dealer fix the problem before we complete the sales transaction...Would really appreciate any information you can offer. Thank You.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #50

THOR #3710
So did you need an alignment and who payed for it? Thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 AM   #51

THOR #3483
Great picture. Thanks for staying in touch.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #52

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyT&M View Post
Hello Ed...we are finally suppose to take delivery this Friday on our 2016 Thor Axis....we are very nervous about the pre delivery inspection...is this done before all the sales paperwork is signed and completed...and all these postings regarding wheel alignment problems are very disturbing...we ordered the RV at a local camper and RV show so have yet to drive one...how will we as novices know there is an alignment issue when doing the test drive...and if there is a problem does the dealer fix the problem before we complete the sales transaction...Would really appreciate any information you can offer. Thank You.
Do some research online about truck alignments.... You might also go one step further and go to a truck alignment shop and ask them what to look for when you drive your final unit. Generally, when you are driving down a flat road in no wind and it pulls to one side or the other when your hands are off the wheel, there is an alignment problem. Also, when you come to a stop, take your hands off the wheel right before you actually stop. If it pulls to one side, that is another clue.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #53

THOR #3710
Quote:
Do some research online about truck alignments.... You might also go one step further and go to a truck alignment shop and ask them what to look for when you drive your final unit. Generally, when you are driving down a flat road in no wind and it pulls to one side or the other when your hands are off the wheel, there is an alignment problem. Also, when you come to a stop, take your hands off the wheel right before you actually stop. If it pulls to one side, that is another clue.
Thanks Ed...We so appreciate the manual we received from you...it is like our RV Bible now...don't know what we would have done without it...we have read it front to back...scary though how ignorant we are of this whole RV thing.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #54

THOR #3710
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyT&M View Post
Thanks Ed...We so appreciate the manual we received from you...it is like our RV Bible now...don't know what we would have done without it...we have read it front to back...scary though how ignorant we are of this whole RV thing.
Thanks Earl!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #55

THOR #2526
Your RV will not be perfect and expect the Dealer do some small repairs once you live with it a while. Someone described a RV as a home with a earthquake happening when you move it. Be thankful that you don't ever have lots of failures which happens sometimes to people. Don't think you can never have a problem. Its going to be a learning experience and have fun. If you follow the good advise you read here, you should do great!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #56

THOR #3483
Baddad53,
I submitted my alignment costs to Thor and they are deciding what to offer me. I will let all know when I get the answer. I understand costs, etc., but the issue of alignments is very nebulous for a first time buyer. I can tell you that I know I WASTED quite a bit of money with the seller's offer of the "coating" on the exterior....and the warranty. To do it over again, I would have laughed at the offer and put it towards the alignment and Saf-T-Plus stabilizer.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #57

THOR #3483
Alignment Offer

Just to close out my part of this discussion, I had a side discussion with Brandon Tom at Thor Warranty. He told me that Thor could only offer me $250 toward my alignment. I did pay about $575 because extra parts were necessary to get the camber angles correct. I told Brandon that I would accept the offer.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #58

THOR #2526
Quote:
Just to close out my part of this discussion, I had a side discussion with Brandon Tom at Thor Warranty. He told me that Thor could only offer me $250 toward my alignment. I did pay about $575 because extra parts were necessary to get the camber angles correct. I told Brandon that I would accept the offer.
well you got something which is good. I paid $180 including parts at Pinky's in Ventura. They specialize in commercial trucks. Sorry it was $220 (parts costed $40) but it took them two hours with a system problem so he discounted it because I waited so long.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #59

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Axis Earl, you are in CA, a very consumer friendly state. I would take THOR's less than adequate offer, and then file in small claims court for the difference, plus filing costs.

It's almost guaranteed THOR will not even show up in court to contest it. THOR knows these coaches should never leave the factory without an alignment being done. Also, all of us that have had to deal with this irresponsibility on THOR's part need to complain to the NTSB. It's easy to file a report on their website.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #60

THOR #3710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
My unit had a sticker next to the drivers seat and a sticker next to the control panel both saying "get an alignment", in addition my dealer stressed at least twice during the walkthrough that we should get an alignment.
Should we have the alignment done before the Safe Plus Stabilizer is installed or the opposite thanks