Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 04:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3614
Cool ford 6.8 ltr v10

i test drove are 2015 vegas 24.1 . before i left the lot i started it let it warm up and stepped on the throttle a couple times there was this short pop then it revved up i did this a few times with the same results is this normal ?. i think not but i have never owned a v10 or a ford for that matter . so we were going down the road at about 60mph stomped on it and it would kind of surged like a tranny slip or something till i let off cruised at 60mph no problem is this normal ?.any one with a vegas or axis experience this. dealer had it looked at and said there was no problem they could find . this is a fuel injected motor right.still have not taken possesion yet its been a month and havent paid for anything yet either .maybe this weekend we willl do the pdi but i am going to test drive a couple other rigs to see if this is happening with those motors to be sure.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Fuel injected and overhead cam.

The V-10 in my Axis is our 3rd V-10 (other two were F-250 and F-350 respectively). I can't think of any popping or surging when any of them were new.

I know this is kind of hard to do in a Vegas/Axis unit but check the exhaust manifold bolts. On all years V-10 they are prone to breaking (although after quite a few miles, not new). My F-350 had two go at around 75,000 miles.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good idea to test drive the others or at least one other.

When the dealer said they had it checked, by who? Most RV dealers are not authorized Ford service centers and their techs knowledge of the V-10 may be limited to oil and filter changes.

Am I reading your initial post correctly? Did you test drive the vehicle after making the purchase offer?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Not Normal something is wrong It may or may not be serious have them take it to a Ford dealer and find out what's wrong before you plunk down anything.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

Model: vegas24.1
THOR #3614
Wink V10

Thanks for replys It did go to a ford dealer I'm not convinced . this is a fuel injected motor right . It was acting like a carberated motor .and I will not plunk down any money till it's resolved .you guys have been a lot of help.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes fuel injected and overhead cam.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAHEMI View Post
Thanks for replys It did go to a ford dealer I'm not convinced . this is a fuel injected motor right . It was acting like a carberated motor .and I will not plunk down any money till it's resolved .you guys have been a lot of help.
Did the RV dealer show you the service ticket where Ford states no fault found?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I would say "move on." Something is awry and they just want you to make the purchase... More out there. By the way, carburetors went away a long time ago now. You can still find them on old, old classics.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We are on our 3rd V-10 and have never experienced any problem as you describe.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Doesn't the dealer have another Ford V-10 on his lot? Try driving another one and see if it acts the same way. I also am on my third V-10 in the last six years and have never experienced what you are describing.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
This engine may have a real problem or it might have old gas but either way I would find another RV. I know that Ford could fix what ever is causing the issue and nothing made by man can always be perfect but I would never step into a potential warranty issue if I had an indication in advance. Once you sign the papers YOU get to fight with Ford about an issue they say you dont have. Or find a Ford dealer near your home that will work on an RV.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thinking about your symptoms again and samven's post, it sounds similar to an issue I had with my first V-10 in a Class C when I got bad gas. I apparently got some water in the gas and almost immediately had a decrease in power, popping and slow throttle response. I put Seafoam in the tank and the problem went away. That being said, I agree with the above comments and I would not purchase that one unless I was absolutely sure the problem had been correctly diagnosed and corrected. You have too much at stake.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
The popping is an engine problem, hope you get it settle before you take possition. But as far as the transmission feeling like it was sluggesh, it needs to be trained. Yes, it's computer operated and it learns you driving in the first couple hundred miles. So if you expect something from it right off that others have not been doing with it, you need to teach it like a child. Seriously, it needs to learn your driving type.