Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
2016 Axis shower caulk

This is not a major issue and actually may be no issue at all, but I am manic about trying to keep water from getting behind the walls and rotting wood or causing mildew. If I get mildew in a coach, I will never hear the end of it and will probably end up selling it.
When I crawled into the shower in my new 2016 Axis today to see if everything was caulked correctly, I found that the wall under the sink, where it connects to the shower pan, was open. there is a 1" high hole the whole length from the wall to the front of the sink. This hole does not go into the cabinet beneath the sink, but rather under the sink cabinet to the flooring. In addition in the back corner of the shower pan the curve of the shower pan is also open to the space behind the shower. You can stick your fingers up the hole. I say that this may not be a big issue, because there is a lip that runs all around the shower pan that should keep water from running up into those holes and behind the spaces under the sink and behind the shower. I filled both holes with white silicone caulk anyway, just to be safe.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron caulks and silicones everything imaginable !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Don’t caulk the shower wall to the tub at the bottom. Water has to have a way to get out if it does get in there. Like you said there is a lip on the tub pan but if you get condensation from hot steamy showers or some water leaks in from the top and its caulked its trapped and you get mould and mildew.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

THOR #1765
You may be right on the opening in the back wall. However, there was no opening in my 2014 Vegas and I never had a problem. In addition that compartment behind the shower is not closed. The pipes run along a compartment that goes to the water tank area on the other side of the coach. If you make sure that the top of the shower enclosure is fully caulked and seal the bottom, it seems like there will be less chance of water getting in there. Even if it does there should be enough ventilation for it to evaporate. That shower was not designed just for the Axis/ Vegas, so the fact that there is a hole there does not necessarily mean that it was planned for this coach. I am not saying that I know you are not correct. It's a good question. The other hole under the sink does not look like it was planned. It is just an unfinished hole.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
The shower wall is not supposed to be caulked to the shower pan. This allows any water to easily drain and air to circulate. Let gravity do its thing. Or caulk it and let microbiology do its thing. As a microbiologist I'm pretty sure it will.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

THOR #1765
In ours the shower wall came permanently attached to the wall on the top and shower pan on the bottom. The only place open to the space behind the wall was the far corner of the shower pan. I will leave that open. Thanks for the comments.