Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #10120
2017 Axis noise from grill

I am having a howling noise form the lower front grill area. This only happens when the wind is blowing a certain direction and if i am traveling 50 mph plus. Does anyone have any ideas to make this stop?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantchart1234 View Post
I am having a howling noise form the lower front grill area. This only happens when the wind is blowing a certain direction and if i am traveling 50 mph plus. Does anyone have any ideas to make this stop?
There are numerous posts on here. Some have put a mesh behind it. Some have bought an aftermarket grill. Some have contacted Thor and Thor has sent them a mesh grill (this assumes your current grill is made up of a series of plastic squares)
Old 11-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
There are numerous posts on here. Some have put a mesh behind it. Some have bought an aftermarket grill. Some have contacted Thor and Thor has sent them a mesh grill (this assumes your current grill is made up of a series of plastic squares)
That is true for ACE's and other F-53 based units; I haven't heard of Thor sending out a grill to an Axis or Vegas owner.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is true for ACE's and other F-53 based units; I haven't heard of Thor sending out a grill to an Axis or Vegas owner.
Sorry, my bad. I thought I first read about the grill issue when I was researching Axis/Vegas.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Sorry, my bad. I thought I first read about the grill issue when I was researching Axis/Vegas.
No issues...I could be wrong too LOL

Axis/Vegas owners have put meshes behind the grill, for protection.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you sure that you didn't get a pedestrian stuck in there, at the last crosswalk that you encountered?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Customcargrills.com measure the area you need, look at their stock (color, opening size, air flow restriction) order a piece, cut it to proper size with tip snips and zip tie it behind your current grill...noise gone. Mine cost $106 shipped, gloss black, honeycomb shaped expanded metal. Not even noticeable
Old 12-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #13697
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantchart1234 View Post
I am having the exact same issue. Not really a whistle but a load rattling moan. Only if wind is a crosswind from the left and going over 50 mph. Did you get a fix for this? 2015 ACE 29.3
Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
It is possible your grill is vibrating and bouncing in and out.

Open the "hood" and look around the edges on the RV side: Are there wear marks? I didn't hear any noise but after a few seasons the grill rubbing against the gelcoat started to wear through. I went to a local home improvement store and picked up some weather stripping (an idea from another thor forum member here). With the weather stripping in place the grill is held snugly against the front--no vibrations anymore.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I never had any problems with my 2017 Axis. How tight does the fiberglass hood fit? Can it be adjusted (Might have to use washer at mounting points).

Does one side stick out further than the other?

I would use the weather stripping idea first.

I inserted stainless steel mesh screens in each of my slates of my grill (mostly to protect the radiator but also for looks).

No problem with noise before or after in installed the screens.

Its just 4 of the stainless steel gutter screens that keep leave out. Cost like $2 each (So $8.00 and some zip ties). Just tin sip to size, bend to shape and zip tie on each slate. Cant see the zip ties with the chrome grill cover on. It will stop a bird and large bugs and stones from entering the grill.

This might change the pitch of the noise or help eliminate it for less than $10.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Ever blow across a soda bottle to make a low, moaning sound? My bet is that isn't the grill, but somewhere that the passing air makes for a whistle. Plug that opening, and your sound goes away. Think of it as a treasure hunt!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #12

THOR #13697
The moan is more like the drone of a bagpipe so it is something vibrating like a reed in a saxophone. I did find two rub spots and a loose grill hinge. I weatherstripped the spots and tightened the grill hinge. Can't tell if it is fixed until I encounter the right cross wind again. Hopefully it is fixed. It is really loud and annoying.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If your attempt to stop the noise doesn't work: you could always try turning up the radio...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #14

THOR #13697
sound level meter says it is 84 decibels. Try bagpipes at 84dB and tell me how long you can stand it.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The problem is most probably the big rubber weather stripping around the windshield. Wind could be lifting part of it where it meets the glass or where it touches the fiberglass. It doesn't take much to make wind (especially cross winds ) make the rubber vibrate just like the reed in a saxophone or clarinet.

I stopped the moan like a saxophone reed by sealing the big rubber weather stripping around the windshield. Had to do a bead all the way around it both where the rubber touches the glass and where the rubber meets the fiberglass. Haven't heard the sound since.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #16

THOR #13697
I finally tracked down my noise. There was a larger gap between the headlight fixture and the fiberglass front cap. The wind would cause a noise similar to an old time pipe organ. I plugged the gap with some weather stripping and the noise is gone.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:42 AM   #17

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The problem is most probably the big rubber weather stripping around the windshield. Wind could be lifting part of it where it meets the glass or where it touches the fiberglass. It doesn't take much to make wind (especially cross winds ) make the rubber vibrate just like the reed in a saxophone or clarinet.

I stopped the moan like a saxophone reed by sealing the big rubber weather stripping around the windshield. Had to do a bead all the way around it both where the rubber touches the glass and where the rubber meets the fiberglass. Haven't heard the sound since.
When I was traveling 2 weeks ago through Louisiana, be a semi kicked up a rock and cracked our 2016 Axis windshield. We arranged through our insurance company to have a new one shipped to Las Vegas. When they changed the windshield they eliminated that heavy rubber molding. The new windshield sits flat without the molding. We'll see if it makes a difference in nose as we are still sitting in Vegas at my son's home.