Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Arkansas
THOR #26479
Rear ladder

I have a 2016 Thor Windsport 27K. We love the damn thing but when we purchased it didn’t have a ladder on it, someone had removed it. Now I have shopped and shopped for a ladder that will work on this with contoured back, but I have had zero luck. If anyone knows where I can get a ladder for this, I would forever be In your debt. The existing location of the mounting holes is approx 11” on center and the length would new to be approx 102” from the bottom mount to the top of the roof.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A boat upholstery shop capable of making bimini tops can easily make one for you.
Custom width, custom color, custom bend to clear your problem, permanent mount or with quick clips to remove.

I've had a couple or three ladders made for my dive boats.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The chance of finding an exact fit for existing holes on the back wall is pretty slim Aftermarket RV ladders are "universal" fit and Amazon has a good selection at good prices.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+ladder...f=nb_sb_noss_1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:33 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My last two coaches had no ladder and couldn't because of a window on one and rear slide on the other.

I bought a 12' collapsible ladder from Amm zon and it worked great and stored well. Don't even think of buying one from any RV store, you'll pay more.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:36 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
IMHO I'd skip the flimsy mounted ladder & get the collapsible, I'm quite sure it would cost a small fraction of the rv ladder & be far more useful.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
IMHO I'd skip the flimsy mounted ladder & get the collapsible, I'm quite sure it would cost a small fraction of the rv ladder & be far more useful.
That's a good option but not a money saver and requires storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder prices.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	37384  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:04 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We all have our priorities when it comes to stuff stored, but our Hurricane 27k is a twin to the OP's coach so can commentfrom experience. There are at least two places that he can stow that collapsing ladder. If I lost mine, that is what I would do. The coach is about 12 feet, so that 12.5 foot ladder would do the job.

I have the one shown in #6 at $119 that I needed for my previous two coaches. Can't imagine finding a OEM ladder for that amount.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I certainly use my OEM ladder

Almost every site we stay at has trees that shed leaves, pine needles, twigs ect

I check and sweep off the slide covers before retracing

Doing that from a ladder requires a lot more effort and time

I carry a very nice handy platform ladder for windshield and window washing
Old 09-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #9

Model: Ace 30.4
THOR #17101
Camping world can order you the exact "OEM" original ladder. I just did this on my 2018 Ace and installed myself. Exact Match.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBob View Post
Camping world can order you the exact "OEM" original ladder. I just did this on my 2018 Ace and installed myself. Exact Match.
They told me the ladder would be a couple hundred dollars but the shipping would make it between $500-$1000...I just laughed and told him no thanks. Did they charge you "shipping" or was I just told this by a CW "expert"?
Old 09-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBob View Post
This would be my option. Supposedly, the ladder screw mounts are positioned to screw through the walls into existing framing...not just through the coach skin and wall material.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfritzlan@me.com View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Windsport 27K. We love the damn thing but when we purchased it didn’t have a ladder on it, someone had removed it. Now I have shopped and shopped for a ladder that will work on this with contoured back, but I have had zero luck. If anyone knows where I can get a ladder for this, I would forever be In your debt. The existing location of the mounting holes is approx 11” on center and the length would new to be approx 102” from the bottom mount to the top of the roof.

Thank you all in advance.
The OEM rear ladder manufacturer does not sell to the public due their liability if the latter fails. My original ladder was torn-off the coach by a landscaping trailer than turned too short in a parking lot. A Jayco dealer in Mayfield, KY order the replacement from Thor MC and repaired the rear cap.

The Stromberg-Carlson LA-401B is a close replacement. It has a hinge that joins the lower section to the upper section. The upper section that attached to the roof is lower to the roof and closer to the edge. The S-C ladder is made of a thinner gauge tubing but is same outer diameter.

Several years a go, I bent the replacement ladder's lower section against a concrete stanchion. In my defense, it was night with a thunderstorm. I tried to straighten it with a jack and come-a-long. The repair would not hold my weight, so I ordered the lower section of the S-C ladder and hinges from a E-Bay site. I cut the bent section out and replaced with the S-C section. It is not a easy fit because of the different tubing thicknesses. The good news that it has worked perfectly for three years. I use the ladder about every other month when I power wash the roof. Yes the bottom three steps are aluminum/silver and the top four are black. I could paint the bottom, but I would loose a conversation starter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:26 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I certainly use my OEM ladder

Almost every site we stay at has trees that shed leaves, pine needles, twigs ect

I check and sweep off the slide covers before retracing

Doing that from a ladder requires a lot more effort and time

I carry a very nice handy platform ladder for windshield and window washing
Opinion... could you use the ladder you have to reach the front cab-over on a class C? Looking for options.